Modding you OOW semiauto B.A.R. for WWII, and other B.A.R. related projects

Maninblue1861

NES Member
Started this thread on another site, and figure i'd post here, for the few people in this site that are fortunate enough to own one of these works of art. If like me, would want your's to look like it would have looked on the front lines in WWII.

There are a few sites dedicated to this, but I believe I can simplify with pictures for references.

Starting off with it just opened from the box 3 years ago

Mod #1 the bolt. I picked up a NOS USGI bolt assembly, as I read that if the bolt was in "satin" finish was probably a swedish bar bolt. Took mine out, and discoved was a ROT usgi bolt. know is post WWII, but markings arent seen while in gun, so will suffice. Ill keep the other bolt as a spare, as the one in gun is already headspaced to gun.

Original bolt, in satin OOW finish.

Quick stop at gunshop down road, got some birchwood casey gun blue, and went to town on it. Was my first attempt at bluing, so was not perfect. couple inner portions didnt really take to the solution. overall gave it an 85% on appearance. FAR better than the silver bolt look.

Mod #2 the buttstock. I love the look of the american walnut, on iron firearms. So without hesitation that was the model I chose.

after some research, realized the buttstock was a dead giveaway to being incorrect for WWII. The main giveaway is the rear sling swivel. short and straight. Obvious korean war era

So after some searching, I finally got this 1943 made firestone bakelite stock. Afterwards, had heck of a time finding the sling swivel to match the cutout profile.

This stayed on my gun for about a year. I searched high and low for an original walnut stock in the WWII profile, but was like finding hens teeth. One day happened to be browsing the bmgparts.com site, and saw he stocked the WWII 1918A2 profile walnut stocks. I leaped at it. had to drill the holes for the sling swivel screws, and do some minor wood removal to get the buttplate to fit properly so could be screwed on. HUGE difference in appearance.

Noticable mod #3 the gas regulator.

as we know, from OOW they come with a korean war screw type adjustable gas regulator. Obviously, if going for WWII, this wont work.

I went out and searched for a WWII key lock regulator. before doing so, make sure your gas tube has the 3 notches for the regulator key to lock into. OOW used both wwii type, and korean war type that had the notches machined out. Also the vent holes will need to be drilled. I havent done so just yet on mine, but am looking into sizes needed to do it.

It came with a carry handle, but wasnt implimented till late 1945, so wouldnt have seen use in WWII. Also the web green sling it came with, had to go. Found a nice 3 hook repro m1907 sling for it on ebay for under 30 bucks.

Last edited:
Next B.A.R. project underway, is my mod/restoration of the m1a1 ammo chest I picked up. they made them for both the B.A.R. and the 1919 belt fed MG's. The B.A.R. ones seemed to have dried up, or ones found look to have spent 60 years under water, and run over by a tank. I settled on this specimen, the 1919 belt fed varient (same can, less wool padding, and mag dividers and dif markings. M1 model had leather handle, slanted cover). they are pricey, and go for 130-200 bucks each easy if can find one.

20150711_124551_zpsqb9syh7x.jpg

20150711_124603_zps7wroat34.jpg

So far, thanks to a NES'r I got it beadblasted yesterday

The mil spec paint and primer I ordered I hoped would be here today, but looks like wont be here till monday.

Still looking for a source of 7/16" oak plank, so I can cut out the dividers to spec according to the original rock island drawings..

Could be a change in the ammo can project. May have found the holy grail. an unissued, machine rifle m1 ammo chest marked can complete with padding and dividers packed away sitting on a shelf in a guys garage. Stay tuned, will find out today.

if so, this other can will be repainted, and remarked same as was, and will use for my saginaw 1919a4 when on display.

Well after a year searching, landed an original bar mag chest. I'll get pics of it when I get the goop off from army tape used for long term storage.

Pics are of one almost same condition.

Nice thread, I have an FND BAR parts kit with a saw cut receiver. They took the US BAR and made some pretty nice improvements on it. The FND model is extremely hard to find with a demilled receiver and I have one of the very few in existence. The OOW 80% and 100%v receivers are not comparable with the FND model as the FND has a pistol grip and removable barrels

Well finally got to painting the m1a1 .30 can. Came out good. The bar m1 can I found may have to be bead blasted, and painted as the old army tape used for storage is proving troublesome to remove.

The m1a1 can after painting, and loaded with 2 250 round belts for my Saginaw 1919a4

And the collection as it stands thus far

Original 1943 dated field manual, and expert B.A.R. qualification badge

Original tool kit, with case, including spare bolt, gas regulator, flash hider/ bipod support

original 1942 D.M. shoe co bar belt and suspenders, 1943 m3 fighting knife in m8 scabbard, 1918 canteen. first aid pouch and canteen pouch repro.

Original 1918 Bar bandolier (BAR entered WWI too late, and they had thousands of these never issues. They were issued in WWII, and due to quantity no new ones were made)

Got Mag's? (still another 30 in a box in safe) restored M1A1 can standing in for the M1 Mag can thats in proccess of being cleaned up

last pic.

if anyone else has one of these, and collects stuff for them like I do,please share pics here. My favorite firearm of WWII,

and the addiction grows. Picked this up for a steal under 100 bucks.. getting harder to find as they dried up (original ones) and go north of 400 easy

Now got to look for a mount or tripod type pedestal to mount it to do can display my bar/1919 off the ground, and shoot standing. (Wife's gonna kill me, she knows combo to safe and knows how to use the thompson)

not mine, but going for same idea..

BAR%20on%20tripod_zpslnin72ue.jpg

well got to work cleaning 70 year old ddried duct tape residue off my m1 ammo chest... lot of people said will probably have to be bead blasted and painted (still could go this route, as did like way the M1A1 chest for the 1919 came out...

anyways. can after peeling the old tape and label off... gonna need more beer..

3 hours of go off, swearing, meticulous picking slowly away with a flat head, more swearing, and a case and half of yuengling up to about 94%...

also show off more mags that arrived... including 5 mint blued WWI mags

yet to try a full auto one, and price of them are far beyond what im allowed to spend on toys... close as I can get, and have more "stuff" for it than most people knew existed for it.

think ill take the entire 1919 belt fed ollection, and BAR collection outside for a museum spread photo shoot.

Last edited:
well ended up restoring the bar can as the residue bacome too much to get off, and took paint of the latch. Bead blasted to bare metal, used original paint palets, and luckily found a guy with an original pre wwii stencil cutter to replicate the stenciles for me on oilboard.

came out nice.

m1a1 can for 1919 finished..

bar ammo chest m1

Back
Top Bottom