• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MK262 ammo for SHTF self defense?

Care to share the recipe?

Sure. Lake City brass, Hornady 75 grain HPBT seated to mag length, Remington 7 1/2 primers, 24.7 grains of Alliant Reloder 15.

2700-2720 fps out of a Wylde-chambered 20" rifle. Load was fine in my rifle. If you blow yours up, don't come crying.

Anyone tried MK 318 Mod 0?

Hadn't heard of that until now.

Based on the cutaways of the bullet I've just seen it would be pretty easy to select a similar commercial bullet and powder to duplicate its exterior and terminal ballistics.

Actually, since we don't GAF about the Hauge Conventions banning bullets designed to inflict excessive pain and suffering, we reloaders can exceed the terminal performance of anything the .mil can legally use.

The Barnes .224" 62 grain TSX would make a nasty, nasty projectile on a Mk318 dupe:

ba22460.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Barnes .224" 62 grain TSX would make a nasty, nasty projectile...

Or .224" 70gr TSX BT

.308” 150gr TTSX BT is one of my favorite hunting bullets. At $0.60-0.70/rd it’s ok for a bolt gun, but would get pricy for AR.

Based on the cutaways of the bullet I've just seen it would be pretty easy to select a similar commercial bullet and powder to duplicate its exterior and terminal ballistics.

Actually, since we don't GAF about the Hauge Conventions banning bullets designed to inflict excessive pain and suffering, we reloaders can exceed the terminal performance of anything the .mil can legally use.

The Barnes .224" 62 grain TSX would make a nasty, nasty projectile on a Mk318 dupe:

ba22460.jpg

anyone know if there's any difference between the TSX line and the TAC-X Bullets?
http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/components/mle-tactical-bullets/mle-tac-x-bullets/

ba22460.jpg

Thanks Jose - it seems like a nasty little devil. I read a redacted AAR report which first brought this round to my attention...

My load is Hornady 75 gr match /23.9 grs of accurate 2520/ cci 41 primer and in my Rock River with a wylde chamber (which I THINK IS THE BEST) it cronographs at 2715 fps. It prints about 3/4" at 100yds .
As to fragmenting idea my thought is when that round starts tipping on impact the wound channel will be bad enough. Now a .223 is not a sniper round but the MK262 extends the range out to maybe 600 yds to improve standoff kill zone BUT if your getting MOA or better then shot placement makes it more deadly.

If you're planning on shooting people beyond 300 yards with your AR either start reloading 77gr or better yet get something in mag fed .308.

This^^^^ Better yet, get a .50BMG and a good .50bmg rated scope.

I think at 700m I'll walk in the .308 instead and be happy I'm not engaging at 100 yards.

ETA:

Even in the middle of winter with no leaves on trees the farthest I can engage from my house is 400-450 yards. With leaves up that distance shrinks to 200ish. Unless you're shooting at 300+ yards regularly I would question why you would ever engage at that distance, and even then how effective can you be with an AR? For most of us there's a huge difference between someone like Pat or Derek shooting at 600, versus us.
It would be wiser to avoid engagement all together at that distance. If you're being fired upon, move and try to escape or flank them. If there's no contact and you're hellbent on engaging wait until they hit 300-400 yards so you can have a better chance of actually landing hits.

If I ever have to engage at that distance, its going to be with a .50bmg rifle and a beltfed spewing so much lead that they'll have to duck until someone is able to get close enough to cap'em with a pistol if they wanted to.

Welll as to shooting ,bullet drop is easy ,more than a few sites that help with drop charts. But wind is the master of your bullet :). Heres an old formula used by WW2 snipers. This is done in short numbers

wind times distances=number number divided by 8= moa moa times yds= inches
20 mph x 2 for 200 yds 40 divided 8= 5 moa 5 x 2= 10 inches drift

8 is a coefficent of some kind ,this will get you very close to center I've used this when woodchuck hunting. Also discount for wind coming in at angles ,like 45 degs half the wind speed on the bullet.

Back
Top Bottom