Missouri lawmaker introduces bill that would require AR-15 ownership

mikeyp

NES Member
For the past few years, I've been thinking about moving to Missouri, Ozarks area. I'll be watching this closely.

Last edited:
Missouri lawmaker introduces bill that would require AR-15 ownership

Andrew McDaniel (R-Deering) introduced House Bill 1108 late last month. The bill would establish the McDaniel Militia Act, “which requires every person between 18 and 35 years of age who can legally possess a firearm to own an AR-15 and authorizes a tax credit for a purchase of an AR-15.”
Not all of us are AR15 fans. I qualified Expert with M16 during boot at PI, but never really liked the weapon. If I was mandated by law to own a semiauto centerfire rifle, I would grab a SA M1A or a Century Arms FN FAL and never look back. I own rifles in .308 and .223. But if I could have only one, .308 would be my pick, hands-down.

I don't really like the idea of making it a requirement but giving incentives to those that want to own them would be good. Missouri is a place I've been considering. This bill reminds me of Kennesaw, Georgia. Gun Ownership - It's The Law In Kennesaw

My mom's younger brother lives in Kennesaw. He moved there when he retired from the Navy back in the early 80's. He said it was a great place to live back then but it's becoming quite the shithole (his words and he rarely cusses). Not sure what he meant but I can well imagine being that it's not that far from Hotlanta.

Not all of us are AR15 fans. I qualified Expert with M16 during boot at PI, but never really liked the weapon. If I was mandated by law to own a semiauto centerfire rifle, I would grab a SA M1A or a Century Arms FN FAL and never look back. I own rifles in .308 and .223. But if I could have only one, .308 would be my pick, hands-down.

I personally like ARs but agree that narrowing it to an "AR-15" is a bit overly selective. Better wording would be a "centerfire, semi automatic, rifle" or "MSR chambered in a centerfire cartridge". I'm too lazy to haul around an 11 pound M1A for any required militia duties, though they are nice rifles.

Even better would be to require a select fire MSR and do away with the NFA. That would be worth it just to see the liberal heads explode.

Last edited:
My mom's younger brother lives in Kennesaw. He moved there when he retired from the Navy back in the early 80's. He said it was a great place to live back then but it's becoming quite the shithole (his words and he rarely cusses). Not sure what he meant but I can well imagine being that it's not that far from Hotlanta.
Unfortunately the cities pretty much everywhere tend to screw things up for the rest of us.

Statists gonna State. A government requiring gun ownership is as repressive as one that bans it.

Though, the tax credit almost makes it palatable. But unintended consequences would mean this bill would generate a big chunk of bitter antis (St Louis, KC, etc) with guns and no training. I’m not sure why that’s desirable.

When you think about it the AR-15 is the quintessential militia weapon. It uses the same parts, the same ammo, aims and operates (almost) the same way as it's government issued counterpart. I can think of no other weapon that would be easier for the US government to support.

Yeah, like voting.

[hmmm]

I didn't see an age limit anywhere in the constitution for the BOR. And there were restrictions on voting from early on that have been lifted over time. So voting they can restrict the age as set by precedent. The BOR....not so much.

I personally like ARs but agree that narrowing it to an "AR-15" is a bit overly selective. Better wording would be a "centerfire, semi automatic, rifle" or "MSR chambered in a centerfire cartridge".
I prefer the description used by JP himself: "Semi-automatic gas operated shoulder mounted weapons platform".

Hardly, at least in one scenario you have the ability to fight back.

Agreed. I view this as a public safety thing. And a check and balance thing. If politicians don't have anything to fear if they make mistakes, they won't shy from the edge of their views. If there are no consequences and only pocket-fatter-i-will-get, what keeps people from doing the right thing.

I'm with the others above. Should be centerfire rifle, not just Ar15. They are growing on me, and I like them a bit and can build complete rifle in an hour from lol lower upper and bits. It's a good defensive solution.

Under "gassed shoulder mounted weapons platform" definition above, highpoints and pccs would pass the test.

Also, there should be a penality. Any male or female ages 18-35 who passes through should be fined $35/day if they so not acquire one.

Also, that fine should apply to those who can not legally possess. (Felons) call it the millitia visa.

All proceeds from this fine would go straight into the ammo pool.

Mcdaniel said the same. Also he seems to be back pedaling now anyway. I think He should at least push forward with his tax credit idea?.

I’m all for tax credits to purchase firearms, I think every citizen should be encouraged to defend themselves I just don’t think it should be a requirement...

Back
Top Bottom