Missouri Governor Will Sign Bill Nullifying Federal Gun Laws...My soon to be home state.

Good luck on your move!

... but alas, the last time SCOTUS ruled on nullification, it was 9-0 against. I applaud this law, but it won't stand unfortunately.

Good luck on your move!

... but alas, the last time SCOTUS ruled on nullification, it was 9-0 against. I applaud this law, but it won't stand unfortunately.
What was their argument against it? Hopefully they weren't twisting the violation of the state supremacy clause. The USSC is a ruse anymore anyway. No problem with them and States calling themselves "sanctuary" states...breaking all federal laws to protect illegal aliens but that's OK...the states are so "woke" to do this...Even states thumbing their noses at the Fed with regards to their marijuana laws (personally I think marijuana laws are bad) but it's still a law. The 2A is not even a law...it's an unalienable right.

What was their argument against it? Hopefully they weren't twisting the violation of the state supremacy clause. The USSC is a ruse anymore anyway. No problem with them and States calling themselves "sanctuary" states...breaking all federal laws to protect illegal aliens but that's OK...the states are so "woke" to do this...Even states thumbing their noses at the Fed with regards to their marijuana laws (personally I think marijuana laws are bad) but it's still a law. The 2A is not even a law...it's an unalienable right.

Supremacy Clause + Article III = state nullification verboten.

Cooper v Aaron, 1958. The issue was school desegregation, but the ruling was consistent with every other federal ruling on nullification from 1789 to 1861: not a single state nullification case was upheld, on any issue.

The feds really want their supremacy.

Hmm...

This originally proposed to not only nullify fed gun laws, it made it illegal for the feds to enforce laws against Missouri 2A freedoms. Basically a sheriff could arrest a 3-letter thug violating Missouri citizen rights. As this article is written, I don't see that as a component.

As for Moms Demand Giggety? Stating Missouri has high gun violence is extremely misleading. Most of its geography has a very low rate. Dem controlled sh!t-holes are where all the people violence attributed to guns is originating.

Something about Missouri and Constitutional Crises...
yup, I've been reading a lot on Missouri history lately, Arguably the guerilla warfare between Kansas and Missouri during the 1850's was the precursor to the Civil War.

Supremacy Clause + Article III = state nullification verboten.

Cooper v Aaron, 1958. The issue was school desegregation, but the ruling was consistent with every other federal ruling on nullification from 1789 to 1861: not a single state nullification case was upheld, on any issue.

The feds really want their supremacy.
...unless it stops fitting their narrative...like some points I made earlier...illegal aliens getting into state/city/county created "sanctuaries" where they can't be touched and where they can get away with murder, in many cases, literally.

Does this fit into state nullification? Sure it does but the feds and USSC don't care.

...unless it stops fitting their narrative...like some points I made earlier...illegal aliens getting into state/city/county created "sanctuaries" where they can't be touched and where they can get away with murder, in many cases, literally.

Does this fit into state nullification? Sure it does but the feds and USSC don't care.

Of course. But that doesn't change the fact that an immediate injunction on this law is likely, and that the Governor knew that.

It's grandstanding. I agree with this law, of course, but then there are a lot of laws I agree with that the courts wouldn't.

This is mostly in response to any future gun laws, meaning if there is a federal ban on aye are 14's, it would be illegal for local LE to enforce those laws with penalties to said Leo's up to $50k.

The intent isn't "no federal gun laws"

This is mostly in response to any future gun laws, meaning if there is a federal ban on aye are 14's, it would be illegal for local LE to enforce those laws with penalties to said Leo's up to $50k.

The intent isn't "no federal gun laws"
So...what's to stop the local LEO from detaining a suspect on some other bullshit charge and then putting a call through to the local BATFE field office? Coast Guard stopped a yacht in NYC, boarded it, and found several guns in the ship's small arms locker. No problem with the long guns. Big problem with the revolver. Guy was from NJ and did not hold a NYC handgun license. Coasties called NYPD harbor patrol, who quickly responded and made the felony arrest. How's that for cooperation between agencies?

So...what's to stop the local LEO from detaining a suspect on some other bullshit charge and then putting a call through to the local BATFE field office? Coast Guard stopped a yacht in NYC, boarded it, and found several guns in the ship's small arms locker. No problem with the long guns. Big problem with the revolver. Guy was from NJ and did not hold a NYC handgun license. Coasties called NYPD harbor patrol, who quickly responded and made the felony arrest. How's that for cooperation between agencies?
That scenario does not apply to Missouri, which is a constitutional carry state and does not have stupid, draconic gun laws like commie states. Also the locals have and will continue to push back against such evil pieces of shit like Soros-bought circuit attorney Kim Gardner.

What Missouri is doing shines a light on a situation that happens all over the country, including non-commie zones of states like California. LEO's including CLEO's do not give a F about ridiculous gun laws and will not arrest for things like standard AR's mag capacity, etc. Some publicly state they will not arrest. Not going into details on the interwebs but I have firsthand knowledge of this. The problem is that high population, low IQ shitbird + rabid libtard zones dominate such states and vote in laws that only smaller geographies support. Inland NorCal is damn near ready to revolt- they are sick and tired of all the BS.

That scenario does not apply to Missouri, which is a constitutional carry state and does not have stupid, draconic gun laws like commie states. Also the locals have and will continue to push back against such evil pieces of shit like Soros-bought circuit attorney Kim Gardner.

What Missouri is doing shines a light on a situation that happens all over the country, including non-commie zones of states like California. LEO's including CLEO's do not give a F about ridiculous gun laws and will not arrest for things like standard AR's mag capacity, etc. Some publicly state they will not arrest. Not going into details on the interwebs but I have firsthand knowledge of this. The problem is that high population, low IQ shitbird + rabid libtard zones dominate such states and vote in laws that only smaller geographies support. Inland NorCal is damn near ready to revolt- they are sick and tired of all the BS.
Yes. I am familiar with Missouri. I grew up right across the river from that state. Wasn't always that way, though. Dad once showed me a handgun purchase permit, issued by the police, which was required to purchase a handgun in Missouri.

You can't have it both ways. Do you want to fight that 2A is a universal right afforded all under the US Constitution?? Then you have to settle for the current interpretation by the SC. If you want all states to have freedom in deciding all 2A issues, now you can't really complain if the citizens of MA or CA or NY or NJ or whatever (or where YOU live next time) decide to limit those rights. Because there isn't an overriding FEDERAL recognition of said right.

I'm not happy when we lose. But I'll stand by principals. Principals state that 1-10 are rights. Period. To me, that means MO can't pull this crap.

Hell, didn't ND or somewhere try this a few years ago????

Something about Missouri and Constitutional Crises...

If only they could. . . . Compromise. ;)

Yes. I am familiar with Missouri. I grew up right across the river from that state. Wasn't always that way, though. Dad once showed me a handgun purchase permit, issued by the police, which was required to purchase a handgun in Missouri.
That was the case a while back but not now. As mentioned, we are a constitutional carry state. Are you legally able to own a firearm? Your good here.

It doesn't apply to all situations, but there will assuredly be some. Cop shows up at your house because of a medical emergency, while they help you he notices clearly short rifle on your table that you were cleaning. He may not arrest you, or even call the feds right there, but sure as hell it's in his report as a CYA. Now he (Or another anti gun cop who hears about it) calls the feds and dimes you out, maybe giving them the report with all info they need to get you. The feds will be on a tear trying to enforce the piss out of this as an example in those states trying to buck their power, and some people will pay the price for believing that state laws actually protect them in any way, just like those poor bastards from kansas.

It doesn't apply to all situations, but there will assuredly be some. Cop shows up at your house because of a medical emergency, while they help you he notices clearly short rifle on your table that you were cleaning. He may not arrest you, or even call the feds right there, but sure as hell it's in his report as a CYA. Now he (Or another anti gun cop who hears about it) calls the feds and dimes you out, maybe giving them the report with all info they need to get you. The feds will be on a tear trying to enforce the piss out of this as an example in those states trying to buck their power, and some people will pay the price for believing that state laws actually protect them in any way, just like those poor bastards from kansas.
Sure, live in the wrong place and your scenarios can happen. 3 of the 4 places I have lived, the county sheriffs who were the primary LEO's never pulled that crap- not once. Actually your example isn't valid, as Missouri isn't trying to magically make SBR's legal.

Then you have to settle for the current interpretation by the SC.
Have you seen some of the recent interpretations of law by the USSC? It's like a damned kangaroo court.

Sorry, the Bill of Rights is unalienable. The USSC does not determine my natural rights which I assumed at birth.

Texas allows a convicted felon to possess a firearm in their home after a certain number of years, which is a huge violation of federal law. How many Texas felons got arrested by BATFE and prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's office? Not sure what the statistics are, but the penalty is 10 years in federal prison if convicted of "felon in possession of a firearm".

Sure, live in the wrong place and your scenarios can happen. 3 of the 4 places I have lived, the county sheriffs who were the primary LEO's never pulled that crap- not once. Actually your example isn't valid, as Missouri isn't trying to magically make SBR's legal.
Ok, what if it not a SBR but rather standard bolt action hunting rifle? Daughter in law showed up to return some gardening tools when the medical episode happened. Your wife calls 911. Police and EMTs show up. Your wife and DIL tell them what happened as you get taken to the hospital. The police ask them for their IDs and write down their information for the police report. The rifle is on the coffee table, about 10 feet or so away. Police computer check reveals that pesky "possession of Alprazolam without a prescription" conviction, a felony, that your DIL caught during her college days many years ago. Felon in "constructive possession" of a firearm is a federal offense. Whether it gets reported to BATFE for investigation and prosecution is another matter, but is certainly possible.

Feds will win

Ok but substitute SBR for whatever thing the state says you can have and the feds say you can't and the situation is the same. Those county sheriffs have not screwed you, personally, but do you know they haven't done it to others? I'm sure that some deputy who is pissed off at someone that they can't manage to catch on the stuff they "Know he did" wouldn't ever think of calling the feds about a gun they know he has right? Are they going to show up at a domestic dispute, find that gun and just leave it there? How about when you have made the sheriff angry for some reason and he is looking to screw you, a not uncommon situation which often ends with endless arrests for petty bullshit just to make your life hard, think he is still going to just let that go and not call the feds in?

Back
Top Bottom