• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Missing 411: The Hunted

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Interesting, I'll check it out. I have taken off my boots for a stalk on deer out west and could definitely see not being able to find them again depending on how the stalk went :)
When I hunted urban CT....I pulled into the landowners drive and there was a big buck standing in his yard on the other side of the garage.

He would let me pull in the garage as the door was usually open. I never drove with socks or shoes down to CT, on as my feet sweat horribly, so I was barefoot.....didn't bother putting my shoes on, as I wanted to kill the deer. I went out the opposite side service door and stalked around the garage so the deer wouldn't see me. I got to the corner so I could see the deer, ranged it and smoked it right from the corner.

Deer took off into the woods, so I'm standing there trying to find my arrow in the yard/blood, as it blew thru the deer. The landowner who I knew very well, he was an old gentleman who would bust balls with me all day long about Kennedy...Politics...he knew for shit sure I was a Republican like he was, but would blame me for Liawatha, Barney Frank, and all the a**h***s we produce.

Anyway he opens his door and says "hey! Did you see that big bu.......????? Then he stops and looks at me funny.......He says......Its 30 Fxcking degrees out here! WTF are you doing with out any shoes on? JFC.........You Massachusetts Kennedy loving people are weird.........shakes his head and shuts the door.

The segment about the guy leaving a trail of discarded gear for 11 miles is crazy. Even left a thermos onna rock where he sat to have a cup of tea.....and could see the roadway from where he sat. Went 6 miles with no boots on. f***ing creepy

Hmmm.

I recall Steve Rinella saying that if you look at the hunting deaths of the late 1800's to early 1900's - say until we almost destroyed the entire ecosystem - there was "shot while going over a fence" about 3 out of ever 4 hunters killed in the wild. These guys were NOT known for hunter safety. Would blow themselves away climbing over a fence or a wall. LOL

I'll have to check this out.

I think one of the reasons that this resonates with so many people, is that most folks that hunt or spend significant time in the woods usually experience something they have a hard time wrapping their head around.
When I was a kid, we used to hunt deep in the woods of Georgia. We found the remnants of a small house, miles and miles from the nearest dirt road or deer path. There wasn't much left of it, but it had a stone foundation, and a stone fireplace.
To this day, my brother in law, goes on epic hunting and fishing trips that last days at a time, usually 3-4 days depending on what you see. His Dad had horses and we would head out with 3-4 guys and a pack horse. He had been hunting this area for years, and so had his Dad and Uncles, and they never came across this shack.
We camped there and talk turned to what the hell was up with this little shack. Maybe it was an old hunting shack, maybe and old slave hideout, or civil war hideout, but we ended up calling it the witches shack.
The year we found it we were psyched. It was sturdy enough to stop the wind and had a fireplace. The first night we were woken up just before sunrise by the horses being spooked, and then a ton of noise down the side of the hill the shack stood on. My BIL knew what it was right away and said "it's a pack of wild dogs, and they got something." The sun came up and we saw what was at least 20 dogs tearing apart what we figured was a deer. Turns out they killed another dog.
We packed up and headed out. But the next day when we came back through, there was no sign of it. No bones, no fur, and no blood. We found the spot, and you could tell where it was, but no signs of a kill, about 36 hours later. My BIL figured that with so many dogs in the pack that they dragged most of it away and lapped up most of the blood.
The next year we figured we would set up near the shack. We were getting close late in the afternoon and figured we would scout a little for spots for tree stands and chill out. Maybe a half mile or so away my BIL's Dad stops and says, "Do you smell that?" We all turn up our noses and took a big sniff. It was for sure the smell of bacon cooking. No doubt. We figured someone had found the shack and was cooking. Got to the shack and there was no one there.
The next day was a successful hunt.
I moved away the following year, but went back some years later with my BIL, but we went in on quads. This was in North Georgia, near the Tennessee border.

I think one of the reasons that this resonates with so many people, is that most folks that hunt or spend significant time in the woods usually experience something they have a hard time wrapping their head around.
When I was a kid, we used to hunt deep in the woods of Georgia. We found the remnants of a small house, miles and miles from the nearest dirt road or deer path. There wasn't much left of it, but it had a stone foundation, and a stone fireplace.
To this day, my brother in law, goes on epic hunting and fishing trips that last days at a time, usually 3-4 days depending on what you see. His Dad had horses and we would head out with 3-4 guys and a pack horse. He had been hunting this area for years, and so had his Dad and Uncles, and they never came across this shack.
We camped there and talk turned to what the hell was up with this little shack. Maybe it was an old hunting shack, maybe and old slave hideout, or civil war hideout, but we ended up calling it the witches shack.
The year we found it we were psyched. It was sturdy enough to stop the wind and had a fireplace. The first night we were woken up just before sunrise by the horses being spooked, and then a ton of noise down the side of the hill the shack stood on. My BIL knew what it was right away and said "it's a pack of wild dogs, and they got something." The sun came up and we saw what was at least 20 dogs tearing apart what we figured was a deer. Turns out they killed another dog.
We packed up and headed out. But the next day when we came back through, there was no sign of it. No bones, no fur, and no blood. We found the spot, and you could tell where it was, but no signs of a kill, about 36 hours later. My BIL figured that with so many dogs in the pack that they dragged most of it away and lapped up most of the blood.
The next year we figured we would set up near the shack. We were getting close late in the afternoon and figured we would scout a little for spots for tree stands and chill out. Maybe a half mile or so away my BIL's Dad stops and says, "Do you smell that?" We all turn up our noses and took a big sniff. It was for sure the smell of bacon cooking. No doubt. We figured someone had found the shack and was cooking. Got to the shack and there was no one there.
The next day was a successful hunt.
I moved away the following year, but went back some years later with my BIL, but we went in on quads. This was in North Georgia, near the Tennessee border.
Dogs and yotes will get rid if every last scrap of a kill or a gut pile in short time. I've been back to many spots where I dressed out a deer less than 24 hours later and there is absolutely no evidence of the remains.

But yeah a pack of wild dogs tearing something up near my camp.....f*** Dat shit.

Back
Top Bottom