MIRCS

MIRCS, anyone know if its possible to look up the firearms registered to a person(me)?

Interesting first post. It's bound to attract a lot of "scrutiny".

My guess is that you are about to undergo a divorce and want to know if your spouse's lawyers can find out how many guns you have for the division of assets.

BTW, welcome to NES. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hahahaha, no on the divorce angle and it seems someone answered what my interest was, so if every gun I've ever owned stays on my list and I sell a few how does that work when the new owner either has it transferred to them or registers the gun to themselves?

I'm a semi retired engineer, a firearms owner since 1978, enjoy hitting the range amongst other things

Hahahaha, no on the divorce angle and it seems someone answered what my interest was, so if every gun I've ever owned stays on my list and I sell a few how does that work when the new owner either has it transferred to them or registers the gun to themselves?

I'm a semi retired engineer, a firearms owner since 1978, enjoy hitting the range amongst other things
It works in the sense that if you sell FTF, the eFA10 will associate it with whoever is receiving it. If you sell it to a MA FFL or any other FFL… keep the paperwork they give you, but it won’t touch MIRCS until if/when it’s transferred to another MA buyer. The system isn’t meant to be an up-to-date registry of currently owned guns, it’s meant to record transfers to/acquisitions by individuals in MA.

The system doesn’t have to disassociate an SN from one owner in order to associate it with the next. It’ll sit with you forever, and all subsequent MA buyers.

So you date back to the little cards you filled out and sent in,also the little rice paper that the dealer would give you.

Ok, Thanks MAJoe, not totally a bad thing as I like the idea of being able to get a list of everything I ever owned at some point

Yes on the rice paper, in fact back then I had a handgun and my ticket expired, 30 yrs later I applied again and they had no record of my first firearm, sadly I destroyed that gun and to this day kick myself in the ass for doing so.

Then it shows up on their “list” too.
Another clunky MA govt way of doing things.

Yes on the rice paper, in fact back then I had a handgun and my ticket expired, 30 yrs later I applied again and they had no record of my first firearm, sadly I destroyed that gun and to this day kick myself in the ass for doing so.

IIRC a lot of the records from years past are lost. So you may only get info on things you bought from the 90's forward.

It doesn't work, it is a mess and a waste of time.
Totally useless.

Interesting first post. It's bound to attract a lot of "scrutiny".

My guess is that you are about to undergo a divorce and want to know if your spouse's lawyers can find out how many guns you have for the division of assets.

BTW, welcome to NES. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

C’mon. MIRCS can only mean Riggs and Murtaugh fighting Shadow Company.

I've pulled my Mircs record before.

It's going to pull a list of serial numbers of firearms that have ever been transferred to you. My pull had no useful information other than the serial number and my name as a license holder- There was no in date, no out date, model, barrel length, high capacity BS, nothing of use.

It actually made it rather confusing because when was all said and done I had more guns on my record than I actually ever owned: Turns out a gun I purchased at Cabela's was transferred to me twice.

I've pulled my Mircs record before.

It's going to pull a list of serial numbers of firearms that have ever been transferred to you. My pull had no useful information other than the serial number and my name as a license holder- There was no in date, no out date, model, barrel length, high capacity BS, nothing of use.

It actually made it rather confusing because when was all said and done I had more guns on my record than I actually ever owned: Turns out a gun I purchased at Cabela's was transferred to me twice.

One of the most perplexing realizations sometimes is when you look at a new purchase and realize,

"Damn! I bought that gun once before!"

Damn inbred Massachusetts gun market!

If you sell it to a MA FFL or any other FFL… keep the paperwork they give you, but it won’t touch MIRCS until if/when it’s transferred to another MA buyer.
In the latest version of the MA Gun Transaction portal, you are able to record the fact that you sold or otherwise turned in a gun to a MA dealer. In fact, you are required to do so. No more waiting until the dealer sells it to someone else to get off the hook for it.

The trick is that you need the dealer's MA dealer license number to do this. It is supposed to be posted where you can see it... if you have perfect 20/20 vision or better. :oops: Otherwise, you may have to ask for it. Some dealers still not in the loop may refuse to give you that number.

In the latest version of the MA Gun Transaction portal, you are able to record the fact that you sold or otherwise turned in a gun to a MA dealer. In fact, you are required to do so. No more waiting until the dealer sells it to someone else to get off the hook for it.

The trick is that you need the dealer's MA dealer license number to do this. It is supposed to be posted where you can see it... if you have perfect 20/20 vision or better. :oops: Otherwise, you may have to ask for it. Some dealers still not in the loop may refuse to give you that number.
You still won't be "off the hook for it." There'll just be a record of your having transferred it to someone else.

True, but it isn't a significant number considering I understood that they computerized something like 1 million records.
3% isn't great odds, but it's far better than the lottery.

Really? Is this something new? I am by no means a SME in this area but I do try to keep up with enough stuff to keep me from going to the Graybar Hotel.

The last few transfers I have made through a dealer to another person, the dealer produced a copy of the FA-10 for the buyer. In all cases I have asked for, and received, a copy of that FA-10 for my records.

The last few transfers I have made through a dealer to another person, the dealer produced a copy of the FA-10 for the buyer. In all cases I have asked for, and received, a copy of that FA-10 for my records.
That’s different than just selling to a dealer.

That's interesting because that second FA-10 of the 2-step dealer transfer process isn't supposed to be any of your business. I've requested same in the past (before the portal change) and been refused. Dealer said I was not entitled to license and personal information about the buyer.

The system isn’t meant to be an up-to-date registry of currently owned guns, it’s meant to record transfers to/acquisitions by individuals in MA
HAHAHA... It surely is MEANT to be an "up to date" registry.. Might be flawed a bit to do that perfectly, but don't kid yourself that a record of "transfers" wasn't meant to be a "registry" of some sort. At a minimum it shows AT MOST what you may have... And I'm sure with the right queries to the database, the .gov could find out what you also transferred out just by seeing what S/N's have moved on after you owned it.

sorry MAJoe.. not meaning to pick on you here..

I recently sold a pistol to a dealer here on NES. He transferred the firearm using eFA10 and he gave me a hard copy of it. He offered to let me do it right there on my phone or he could do it on his computer. I let him do it. All I had to do was put in my PIN.

But that would not necessarily be accurate either. I can then just go to a random FFL, look at their license number and go to the portal and “transfer” the gun to them, but still keep the gun. If there is a question about the gun at some point, show them the “transfer” record and claim you no longer have the gun. No more boating accidents are needed then.

HAHAHA... It surely is MEANT to be an "up to date" registry.. Might be flawed a bit to do that perfectly, but don't kid yourself that a record of "transfers" wasn't meant to be a "registry" of some sort. At a minimum it shows AT MOST what you may have... And I'm sure with the right queries to the database, the .gov could find out what you also transferred out just by seeing what S/N's have moved on after you owned it.

sorry MAJoe.. not meaning to pick on you here..
Haha no offense taken.

You’re correct. The only difference I see between the current system and a full registry, are the legal ways someone can have a gun in MA without it ever hitting the portal (like moving into state). If that gun is never sold/lost/stolen/inherited in MA, the state has no record of it. In short, the point I’m trying to make is that no one can run a report from MICRS and say confidently that every gun you’ve ever had is on this report or you broke the law. But, if you don’t have any of those special circumstances… the database is going to show exactly what you said, every gun you’ve ever had.

Back
Top Bottom