• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MIRCS

So I was searching around trying to get some info on the MA Instant Record Check System, and came across this article. It says that, with the MIRCS system in place (and keep in mind this article is from 2005), police can issue a license within 24 to 48 hours. Is there something else delaying the process that could be causing the wait to be more like 40 days?

[thinking]

something else like laziness or the fact they just don't give a shit.....those should be on the list of delay reasons...

Some police departments only have one or two officers that process licenses and that officer may only send out the license to the CHSB bi weekly once they get a fair amount of them in.

Later when the licenses return they may wait until they have a clear day or are assigned desk duty to make the calls to the licensees to come and get them or mail them out.

This statement causes a lot of confusion. Fact: In MA absolutely No license can be processed in 24-48 hours. As a licensing official I can state that it takes 21-35 days to get it in hand. It usually takes about 3 weeks just to get the fingerprint certification before it can even be approved. Once a licensing authority receives the certification, it is then approved and the Firearm's Recored Bureau is notified via the MIRCS computer and the license is created. Finally, in theory it should be received by the department of record in 2-3 days following approval. Then it is activated and distributed. I have had one issued in as little as 11 days but normally it is 3-5 weeks following processing.

Ron

This statement causes a lot of confusion. Fact: In MA absolutely No license can be processed in 24-48 hours. As a licensing official I can state that it takes 21-35 days to get it in hand. It usually takes about 3 weeks just to get the fingerprint certification before it can even be approved. Once a licensing authority receives the certification, it is then approved and the Firearm's Recored Bureau is notified via the MIRCS computer and the license is created. Finally, in theory it should be received by the department of record in 2-3 days following approval. Then it is activated and distributed. I have had one issued in as little as 11 days but normally it is 3-5 weeks following processing.

Ron

Thanks for this info.

Back in the good old days, I've had renewals done in 2 days (the time it takes for the mail to come). The IA's attitude was:" If the state has a problem with this, they will let us know".How things have changed. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom