Minuteman Sportsmans club reviews?

I figured this would be the best place to post this. So on a recent trip down to Florida, my father in law took my wife and I clay shooting.

Now I had never been clay shooting but I already know I was going to enjoy myself. What surprised me the most was how much my wife got into it. So much so that she wants to get a shotgun and join a club. She’s only been shooting one other time and did not have fun at all so this came as a shocker to me.

Taking a look around online I stumbled across Minuteman Sportsmans club out in Burlington. I live in Waltham so Burlington is not a huge trek for me but I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with the place? Yearly fees looked a little steep but if it’s something that me and my wife can do together I may take the plunge.

Any other places to recommend?

Thanks everybody!

i was a member for a number of years. i moved out of state and gave up my membership. great club for the clay sports in the greater boston area. very professionally run, super people, no bull shit, just go shoot and enjoy. when i was there they were open wed, sat & sun and holidays except thanksgiving and xmas. if you haven't been out there yet go check it out. tell the manager your thinking of joining. i believe one of the members will show you around...and shoot while you're there.

Wed nights under the lights and or 6:30 PM in the summer Trap league in Georgetown is open to NON-members. Sundays @ 1Pm also,...…Georgetown Fish and Game
Trap - Open to Public

Sundays @ 1:00
Wednesdays @ 6:30

In addition to Sunday afternoons, the lights are on and the trap house is open on Wednesday
shooting_0.jpg
nights. Come by and shoot some clays! 6:30 PM to 9 PM. Check the calendar for up to date info.

I’m a member there now and love it. Very well kept grounds, and there’s almost always a place to get a round or rounds in. The only thing I haven’t done there is 5-stand, which I keep meaning to ask about. I’m not really much of a trap shooter, but the trap guys I know there are very happy.

It’s more expensive than other clubs for sure, but there’s also a lot more to it. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional info.

I shoot Trap at MM for their ATA events and state shoots they host. The club is great, with beautiful grounds and great staff. I am not a member there but several friends of mine are and enjoy the sporting clays course. MM is all shotgun and you should take a tour, go to their website and check out the hours. There is no night shooting there. Good luck and enjoy!

Minuteman is a different type of Club, in that you pay for all the upkeep, etc., with money, as opposed to with your time (work parties, committee membership, etc.) at other clubs.

They have a paid groundskeeper. I asked him once about what the Club was like, and he said something like: "We tried a work party once, to build a fence. Lawyers and doctors showed up, who didn't know which end of a hammer to hold. Now we hire contractors." [laugh]

If you have the bucks, and don't want/need to shoot under the lights, it's a good club: Trap, Sleet, 5-stand, and international trap.

The downside is that if you want to shoot rifles or pistols, you need to go elsewhere.

Most of the local Clubs, including mine www.southboroughrodandgun that have Trap and Skeet are open to non-members; that's a good way to try them out. Feel free to come out on a Thursday or Sunday!

Map of Clubs:

https://rangelistings.com/shooting-ranges/MA.html

If you just want to get into trap you don't have to join a club right away. There are a ton of clubs that offer open to the public hours. Georgetown was already mentioned. Country pond in newton nh (just over the state line in nh probably 45 minute drive from you) is open to the public Tuesday nights, Saturday at 1pm and Sunday at 9am. $3.50 per round for non members first round is on the house.

Many other clubs offer public hours as well.

are the MM club hours really only
  • Wed & Fri 10:00 am - Dusk
  • Sat & Sun 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • Holidays 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
or is this the front office? Can you shoot after 5pm during the summer weekends?

are the MM club hours really only
  • Wed & Fri 10:00 am - Dusk
  • Sat & Sun 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • Holidays 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
or is this the front office? Can you shoot after 5pm during the summer weekends?

Those are the hours of operation as far as I know. I’ve never been during the week, but it wouldn’t surprise me as it’s tucked between neighborhoods.

Last edited:
Don’t forget to factor the cost of targets into your club choice. Some clubs charge more than others per round.

Also consider how many trap fields there are availible. If a club has only 1 field you could find youseld doing more waiting than shooting on during nice days. Obviously MM has plenty of fields. Anything more than 1 is enough to split the demand except during large organized shoots.

OP - you should head out there this weekend. We’re hosting the MA State Trap Shoot Competition. While only a handful of clays stations are open, you can see the facilities and what the club has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom