• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Minuteman Precision Rifle League 2020

With an event at CEATS about 20 minutes away, I really have no excuse to not get to a match and try it out. Gonna have to finally do it.

VSRPA is running the matches. They have a Facebook “Precision Rifle” group. I’m hoping to make a match or two up there. The ranges at CEATS are awesome.

A few questions regarding the rifle based on what I currently own, narrowing it down to what will consistently shoot MOA and stay supersonic around 1000 yards.
All of my rifles have internal box magazine or are single shot. I am assuming a Ruger No. 1 is not a good choice. This brings me to a R700 Varmint weight in 22-250 or a R700 sporter weight in 25-06. Both have the factory stocks but both consistently shoot sub MOA. Is the four round fixed mag a serious detriment?
I'd like to shoot in a match or two before I invest in a new rifle platform.

I’ve only see two people try to shoot with an internal box magazine. One didn’t come back for another match, and the other was just goofing off. Every stage is going to be about ten rounds, and some are more. You would struggle quite a bit to get all your shots off without detachable magazines. Observers are always welcome at the matches also. It’s not quite as good as trying it out, but you could at least see how it goes and ask questions. I wouldn’t be surprised if some guys with extra ammo and time let you try out a stage or two.

In reality very few factory rifles are suitable for PRS. Savage makes one, Tikka makes one, and the Ruger RPR. Some custom builders also make entry level “production class” rifles.

The Match Director at Granby has mentioned to me about running some “Heavy Steel” matches. I don’t have any specific details as to what that is, but I believe it’s something along the lines of all prone, longer range matches. Perhaps magazine capacity and reloads will be less of a concern with those matches.

I’ve only see two people try to shoot with an internal box magazine. One didn’t come back for another match, and the other was just goofing off. Every stage is going to be about ten rounds, and some are more. You would struggle quite a bit to get all your shots off without detachable magazines. Observers are always welcome at the matches also. It’s not quite as good as trying it out, but you could at least see how it goes and ask questions. I wouldn’t be surprised if some guys with extra ammo and time let you try out a stage or two.

In reality very few factory rifles are suitable for PRS. Savage makes one, Tikka makes one, and the Ruger RPR. Some custom builders also make entry level “production class” rifles.

The Match Director at Granby has mentioned to me about running some “Heavy Steel” matches. I don’t have any specific details as to what that is, but I believe it’s something along the lines of all prone, longer range matches. Perhaps magazine capacity and reloads will be less of a concern with those matches.
Gotcha. Thank you. I come from the world of bench rest where you have 15 minutes to fire 5 shots for score and unlimited sighters. It's a very casual pace.
I may change the stock on the 22-250 to one that can accept a mag. It would be an inexpensive option to get started in the sport.

Gotcha. Thank you. I come from the world of bench rest where you have 15 minutes to fire 5 shots for score and unlimited sighters. It's a very casual pace.
I may change the stock on the 22-250 to one that can accept a mag. It would be an inexpensive option to get started in the sport.

PRS stages would typically be from 8 up to 20 rounds fired in 90 or 120 seconds depending on who writes the course of fire. The MMPRL match directors have worked to standardize some aspects of the courses of fire for the league so there should be less surprises this year. There are never any sighters, ever.

Check out the KRG Bravo. It’s priced pretty reasonable. I put a rimfire trainer in one and like it.

Hello Everyone;

My name is Alex and I am one of the Match Directors for the Minuteman Precision Rifle League (MMPRL).

We are a group of ranges around NE and a range in NY that hold regular PRS style matches.
For those that are unfamiliar with PRS style matches, they involve a shooting steel targets at varying distance from interesting positions Ex: off of construction tires, simulated roof tops etc. All of this is done under time. It's a fast paced and growing sport and we'd like for you guys to come by and check it out.

We give all of the league fees back to the shooters in the form of a shooters pack as well as prize table for the finale.
None of the match director take a salary from the league this is all volunteer.

The league format is as follows;
1) Compete in minimum of one match at 3 different ranges for score
*Note: If you shoot at the same range more than once you keep the highest score you receive
2) You score will be tracked all year and if you meet requirement #1 you are eligible to compete in the finale (Max participants TBD)

League Fee: $85.00

League Fee w/ Valid PRS Regional Membership: $45.00

Featured Ranges:
Alderbrook Sportmans Association
Littleton, NH
Max Distance: 1100 Yards

Field of Dreams
Center Conway, NH
*Private Range
Max Distance :1050 Yards

Granby Bow & Gun Club
Granby, MA
Max Distance: 985 Yards

Sheepdog Warrior
Catskill, NH
Max Distance: 1000 Yards

CEATS
Jericho, VT
Max Distance: 1000 Yards

We will be running other matches and classes throughout the year that will focus on long range skills such as wind and mirage and we will likely run a 2 person team type match as well.

For more information fee free to reach out here or on our Facebook page: Minuteman Precision Rifle League
You can also check out our website: http://minutemanprl.org/

I am definitely on board joining but will be a novice who is brand new to the sport. Had a quick question about memberships

No problem paying the full league fee, but what are examples of Valid PRS Regional memberships that one could join. Just trying to wrap my head around everything

Have rifle and scope came in yesterday. Need to get some time with in on the 100-yard at my club, then stretch out at 300 somewhere like Harvard (need to find a sponsor and join).

Thanks for the help and info!

And

www.mmprl.org

These are the on two sanctioning bodies we deal with in New England at this time. It looks like you can sort of “choose your flavor” in regards to the PRS memberships. That choice really depends on if you Plan to travel and shoot more of the national level matches.

Back
Top Bottom