Minuteman Precision Rifle League 2020

Interesting. Me and my RPR in 6mm creed are not good enough to show up to one of these yet. Working on getting something setup for rimfire, but would love to be in a place where I’m competent enough to show up to one of these

You and your RPR are perfectly capable and competitive. The whole point of shooting and practicing is learning to develop the most stable shooting positions as quickly as you can. Most stages will be designed so that a stable position can be used. Your rifle shouldn’t be moving the way you describe. Don’t be too intimidated. Come out and try it.

What do you guys recommend for scope magnification? I have a R700 in a nice Boyd stock in .300WM that I've wanted to try long range with. Pretty good out to 200 so far.
Most shooters use scopes that range from 4x to 25x. Some use up to 35x but it’s rare. Most of the time you’ll shooting in the 12x-15x range. Higher magnification makes it difficult to find the targets. Most are also using First Focal Plane scopes.

You’ll probably have thought time shooting a .300wm in these types of matches. Recoil management is a big part of the game. Also, if you’re not shooting a heavy rifle with a brake 100rds of WM is gonna be painful.

I see Granby listed. Is their 1000 yard range open again?

I will check this out. I was thinking of getting into F Class, but Inalso find PRS Interesting. I guess I could build a rifle for both and just block the mag for F class.

Alex didn’t mention it in the OP, but you DO NOT need to be an MMPRL member to shoot the matches.
Membership is for keeping track of series points and members get early entry to the matches.

Membership is not required to participate.

I see Granby listed. Is their 1000 yard range open again?

I will check this out. I was thinking of getting into F Class, but Inalso find PRS Interesting. I guess I could build a rifle for both and just block the mag for F class.

The 1000yd range at Granby is currently closed due to another BS town order. I spoke with someone more involved yesterday and I was told it should be re-opened soon. Granby is spending A TON of money fighting this crap from the town and they are winning. They are still planning to run matches this season.
However, Alderbrook and Field is Dreams are not that much further of a drive from metro Boston.

A rifle built for PRS will be suitable for F-class, but an F-class built rifle would be awkward and cumbersome for PRS.

What are your thoughts on .308 for PRS?

.308 is meh for PRS. Ballistically inferior to the 6mm and 6.5mm. More recoil makes spotting misses more difficult. There are some that shoot it and you can test the waters in F-class or PRS with it. You can always re-barrel to another cartridge if you decide to.

I’m not making any guarantees about Granby. Just passing along what I’m told. The latest BS was noise related, which is a non-starter in Mass. Ranges in Mass cannot be shut down for noise.

What are your thoughts on .308 for PRS?
American Rifle Company is running a sweet deal on their Nucleus 1.1 action. TONS of prefit barrel options that you can install at home with the right action tool. Tons of chassis / stock options as well as triggers as it fits a Rem 700 footprint. Pretty high end performance build for potentially less than $2k

I really need to get to one of these.
If you want to go keep in contact and show up to a match. If you are a new guy all of us are more than willing to help you out and if you inform us at the beginning of the match you can opt out of points and we will give you live feedback and corrections. If you think you're not ready you are likely very wrong. Just show up.
Any questions please field them

American Rifle Company is running a sweet deal on their Nucleus 1.1 action. TONS of prefit barrel options that you can install at home with the right action tool. Tons of chassis / stock options as well as triggers as it fits a Rem 700 footprint. Pretty high end performance build for potentially less than $2k

The Nucleus is a nice action for sure. There are so many quality custom Rem700 footprint actions out there, it’s tough to single out any one. I had a Bighorn (Zermatt) TL3 that was superb. Right now I use either an Impact Precision 737 or one of my Tubb 2k’s.

The Ruger RPR’s can be competitive right off the shelf, too. You don’t have to break the bank to compete in PRS, but you can if you want to. It mostly comes down to personal preference of features.

Good to hear about Granby. I’ll probably go that date for fun and opt out of points. Now I have something to do at the range until then collecting velocity data for factory ammo.

If you want a chance to stretch out a collect data at 1000 or so please contact me. I'll gladly give you a hand and I have a Magnetospeed to collect velocity information as well.
We are hear to help you guys out anyway we can.

Has a rough schedule come out yet? I’d love to do it this year if I can fit it in. I participated a 600 yds NRA open at Scarborough and it was awesome.

The Nucleus is a nice action for sure. There are so many quality custom Rem700 footprint actions out there, it’s tough to single out any one. I had a Bighorn (Zermatt) TL3 that was superb. Right now I use either an Impact Precision 737 or one of my Tubb 2k’s.

The Ruger RPR’s can be competitive right off the shelf, too. You don’t have to break the bank to compete in PRS, but you can if you want to. It mostly comes down to personal preference of features.
Up until the 2020 season I was running a Savage 12FV with a XLR chassis and a custom barrel. I kitted it out slowly and it still functions fine I just decided to go a little fancier. Like Dave said, you do not need to bleed yourself dry to have a good time and to be competitive. "Run what ya brung"

Those numbers from Hornady should be pretty solid. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them unless you have the ability to chrono and cross check against another app.

The numbers do look decent, IF that is the speed you have coming out of your barrel. But the speed will vary if you have a 20" vs 26" barrel. If you can try to get speed check from your barrel.

.308 is meh for PRS. Ballistically inferior to the 6mm and 6.5mm. More recoil makes spotting misses more difficult. There are some that shoot it and you can test the waters in F-class or PRS with it. You can always re-barrel to another cartridge if you decide to.

I’m not making any guarantees about Granby. Just passing along what I’m told. The latest BS was noise related, which is a non-starter in Mass. Ranges in Mass cannot be shut down for noise.

I agree 6.5 or 6 CM would be a better choice than .308 (been there and done that) but if you already have a Heavy Barrel .308 I would not let it keep you from giving it a try. Just pick a cartridge and bullet weight that will stay supersonic out to 1000 yards.

Each PRS match is uniquely different. Usually a day or two before the match a "course of fire" (COF) will be available describing what the match will look like. Go on line and find a COF for a past match. Not all the shots will be 1000 yards, a lot or most can be mid range shots.

Regarding Granby, as a member let me say it is a complicated situation, and nothing is to be gained by discussion in a public forum. Please don't turn this into a "whats happening at Granby" thread.

If you want to go keep in contact and show up to a match. If you are a new guy all of us are more than willing to help you out and if you inform us at the beginning of the match you can opt out of points and we will give you live feedback and corrections. If you think you're not ready you are likely very wrong. Just show up.
Any questions please field them

I have .308 RPR thats zeroed at 100 Yards and I have all the relevant data programmed into the Hornady Ballistics app from a class I took last year.
Probably not the best setup but its what I have.
Most of the shooting I have done has been standing, sitting or prone, it sounds like I could learn a lot from you guys.
Is all the shooting supported?
whats the round count per match?
Granby would be the shortest drive for me.
What is the Money Match on Febuary 29th?
Is that a match you would recommend for a first timer?
I assume if I join It makes it easier to sign up?

I have .308 RPR thats zeroed at 100 Yards and I have all the relevant data programmed into the Hornady Ballistics app from a class I took last year.
Most of the shooting I have done has been standing, sitting or prone, it sounds like I could learn a lot from you guys.

Your setup would be fine to start with. Almost all of the stages are fired from supported positions. It is pretty rare to have an unsupported stage. You will be resting the rifle on something to engage the targets, and some positions will likely be awkward and challenging to hold a good shot. Most shooters will utilize some kind of support bags and their bipod. All you really need for your first match is a bipod and rear bag. Your squad mates will help you get squared away with other types of support. Most one day matches are around 100 rounds. Plan on being on the range from 8am to 4pm, though we usually finish earlier.

The money match Feb. 29th is not something I would recommend to beginners. It's going to be a few hundred bucks to enter and payouts in cash. There won't be any real ability for the experienced shooters to coach new shooters without cutting their own throats. All of the other league matches are different and coaching is allowed and encouraged. I'm sure spectators would be allowed though.

Joining the league will get you some swag, enter you in the points race, and entries for all matches are opened to members first for a few days before the public. It's also a great way to support the sport in the area.

Don't worry about how far the drive is. ALL of the ranges are worth driving to.

Last edited:

Start lurking on forums like Snipershide. I’ve been reading stuff there for months to learn. There’s a long thread dedicated to the RPR. Might be some nice pre orders or group buys for stuff occasionally like the Atlas SCAL bipod recently.

Start lurking on forums like Snipershide. I’ve been reading stuff there for months to learn. There’s a long thread dedicated to the RPR. Might be some nice pre orders or group buys for stuff occasionally like the Atlas SCAL bipod recently.
I found so much info in that forum. Every time I Google anything related to PRS, F class, Reloading precision rifle, scopes... their threads pop up.

A few questions regarding the rifle based on what I currently own, narrowing it down to what will consistently shoot MOA and stay supersonic around 1000 yards.
All of my rifles have internal box magazine or are single shot. I am assuming a Ruger No. 1 is not a good choice. This brings me to a R700 Varmint weight in 22-250 or a R700 sporter weight in 25-06. Both have the factory stocks but both consistently shoot sub MOA. Is the four round fixed mag a serious detriment?
I'd like to shoot in a match or two before I invest in a new rifle platform.

Back
Top Bottom