Minute of Whitetail accurate...

ye I just wish the group was a little tighter. Maybe in the off season I'll try a few different slugs to see if anything tightens it up. I like the accutips though. They don't run if I do my part.

I have basically the same gun not sure if yours is 20 or 12?

I'll say as well, your good to go.....

I've found Hornady SST Sabots to be the most accurate out of my rifled barrel. I've grouped about 2.5" at 100 yards with it. I'd also not bother with 3" magnums....not needed, 2 3/4 probably will be more accurate and follow up shots easier.

I also have a T/C break action single shot with a 26" barrel and with the SST's that thing is borderline rifle accurate. about 1" groups at 100.

Right now as much as I hate Dicks they have Hornady SST's on sale for 9.75 a box.
I bought a bunch with an addtional 20% coupon and saved bunch and won't need any for years.

Honestly, if I had to do this whole exercise again, I'd stick with a smooth barrel and cheap rifle slugs......the added distance isn't worth the added bs and cost of sabots. I could shoot plain old foster brennekkes out to 75 yards decent all day long out of the smoothbore.

Honestly, if I had to do this whole exercise again, I'd stick with a smooth barrel and cheap rifle slugs......the added distance isn't worth the added bs and cost of sabots. I could shoot plain old foster brennekkes out to 75 yards decent all day long out of the smoothbore.

That’s one of the reasons I am still shooting a Winchester pump smooth bore. I have killed a bunch of deer with it out to 80-85 yards. Plus those SB barrels are so much lighter.

Bob

That’s one of the reasons I am still shooting a Winchester pump smooth bore. I have killed a bunch of deer with it out to 80-85 yards. Plus those SB barrels are so much lighter.

Bob

Same here....killed more deer with my sweet sixteen browning A-5 and Brenneke slugs.

I refused to drill and tap the Browning for a scope, when my eyes needed it, so that lead me to the cantilever/rifle barrel setup.

Will give the Browning to my kid who has eyes like a hawk.

Same here....killed more deer with my sweet sixteen browning A-5 and Brenneke slugs.

I refused to drill and tap the Browning for a scope, when my eyes needed it, so that lead me to the cantilever/rifle barrel setup.

Will give the Browning to my kid who has eyes like a hawk.

Decades ago, I had the Winchester drilled and tapped for a scope and dedicated it to being my meat gun. It is inexpensive and I don’t worry about taking it out in the rain or snow.

Bob

That will put meat in your freezer. 12 ga from the weight of bullet on the box. ;)

I never notice the recoil or sound when I shot at deer. I was too focused on my target and where it went after I hit it. I used 20 ga Brenneke out of my smooth barreled BPS slug barrel: iron sights were fine. Scopes are nice but food is food. Use what you have and try out different ammo in the off season at your range. Regular bird barrel liked Remington with improved cylinder choke. My old Winchester 1200 with modified barrel liked Winchester 1 oz 2 3/4" slugs. Some shotguns don't care: Moss 590A1 likes whatever. I never bothered with 3" mags since available was always an issue when i wanted them. YMMV

I'd also not bother with 3" magnums....not needed, 2 3/4 probably will be more accurate and follow up shots easier.

I agree, don't beat yourself up with 3" shells unless you're maybe shooting over 120 yards, which is very rare in New England. I shoot 2 3/4" 20 gauge, and I shot a doe through the heart at 70 yards 2 years ago, the sabots couldn't have been more accurate.

I'm in the 3" magnum 12 gage is a bit on the 'overkill' side. The regular Remington "Sluggers" that I use are RARELY found inside the deer on a broadside shot....and usually put a nice hole in the off side hide!

My deer gun is a Winchester 1200 12 gauge 2 3/4" with a B-Square mount and a Simmons scope. I bought it that way from a fellow NES'er several years ago who said he took lots of deer with that gun, and I've taken three deer with it. I never even had to adjust the scope. It's right on at about 65 yards and if I'm brave enough to take a shot at 100, I have to aim a little high. I've never fired at a deer further away than about 60 yards though. I mostly hunt on Cape.

i shot a buck this year for the first time with my new Savage 220, Hornady SST, 2 3/4. Clean broadside shot and it punched clear through. I don’t really see what a 3 inch slug offers other than more kick.

I’m a 2.75 SST man myself. This season, after the obligatory box to make sure the gun still shot to where I wanted it to, I couldn’t quickly and locally locate anymore SSTs, so I went with lightfield hybrid lites. Point of impact wasn’t worth changing scope at all. He made it about ten yards after a 40 yard shot, slug up against skin. 207 dressed.

f*** 3” shells.

I’m a 2.75 SST man myself. This season, after the obligatory box to make sure the gun still shot to where I wanted it to, I couldn’t quickly and locally locate anymore SSTs, so I went with lightfield hybrid lites. Point of impact wasn’t worth changing scope at all. He made it about ten yards after a 40 yard shot, slug up against skin. 207 dressed.

f*** 3” shells.

I shoot 2.75” Remington Sluggers and I can’t remember not having a pass through.

Bob

I shoot 2.75” Remington Sluggers and I can’t remember not having a pass through.

Bob
SSTs have always passed through in my experience. I read up on the lightfields and not passing through was a common complaint, but deer died, quickly, so I have no complaints. Ligjtfields are heavier slug I believe and rated muzzle velocity shows it. I was surprised at different distances, POI was close enough to not bother messing with the scope.

SSTs have always passed through in my experience. I read up on the lightfields and not passing through was a common complaint, but deer died, quickly, so I have no complaints. Ligjtfields are heavier slug I believe and rated muzzle velocity shows it. I was surprised at different distances, POI was close enough to not bother messing with the scope.

Interesting. I didn’t know that about the Lightfields. Never shot them.

I’m still shooting Fostner slugs out of a smooth bore. I never saw a reason to move up from a smothbore. It fits the hunting I do and it is noticeably lighter; especially at the end of the day.

Dead is dead.

Fortunately for the kind of hunting that’s done in a lot of MA a slug gun isn’t at a big disadvantage. Usually shorter shots in woods/brush. Not always, but most of the time. We’re not usually sitting on a food plot or a bean field in a blind or on a prairie clicking off elevation on our scopes. Most deer I see are inside 50 yards and a quick shot is generally best.

Back
Top Bottom