• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Minors flying solo. Any experience?

Ugh. I wonder if she stuck with it.

My first solo I was 22, and I'm happy to report it was relatively uneventful (save what happened to my shirt afterwards).

View attachment 403428

[grin]

Yes, that says 10/23/92, so 28 years ago this past Friday. I'm old. [sad]

One of those things I always wanted to do but never got around to. Closest I got was an Airman's Cert for a pretty specific piece of communications gear

One of those things I always wanted to do but never got around to. Closest I got was an Airman's Cert for a pretty specific piece of communications gear
My problem is I never finished it. I could never get the long cross country in. It seemed like the weather was never not crap in all three points at the same time. Then I ran out of time - back to grad school. Then ran out of money.

I'd use the child as a prop to approach a really hot chick at the boarding line and ask her too keep an eye on the little cherub.

My first solo I was 22, and I'm happy to report it was relatively uneventful (save what happened to my shirt afterwards).

View attachment 403428

[grin]

Sounds like she did (or planned to anyway)

Whatever she does in life, my guess is she'll do just fine

We are flying our 14 year old daughter to visit her father from SC to Boston.
We went with American because it was a direct flight and they charge a 150 fee to "babysit" which seems like they hold the child until a parent takes over.

The father, purchased the flight home. He went Southwest, which has zero direct flights. They also don't charge the 150 fee, but the kid is on their own. Meaning during the 50 minute layover in Baltimore, she has to find her next gate and board herself.

I know my step daughter, she is not good on her own. My wife and I have put our foot down and said absolutely not to her flying solo with a layover, making his tickets useless right now. I don't care about his finances so I dont care if he is out $.

I'm I being a hovering parent here? Anyone ever let a kid fly solo?

Some airports are confusing for adults. Pay the $150 and don't look back. I used to be an airport executive type, I wouldn't let my kids fly completely alone anywhere until I absolutely knew they could handle it.

View attachment 403428

[grin]

My niece solo'd last week. The first question I asked is 'Do they still cut off your shirt?" :D My last flight was in '92, my next training flight was the 12 hour commercial, or whatever the 'long' flight is. After the 8 hour one (that took like 12 hours to actually do)(was a long time ago, but the short cross country flight), I was pretty much done with my 'dream' of being a bus driver in the air.

Drama aside, southwest controls terminals A and B at BWI. Very safe and easy airport to navigate.

Southwest staff is generally very happy to help with anything, especially unaccompanied minors- just ask and they will help.

On safety, BWI has tons of police/TSA presence. It’s pretty hard to get lost or get in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom