• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini rant- range etiquette

*CJK*

NES Member
I generally manage to make to the range 2-3 times a month. I usually spend a couple of hours shooting 3 or 4 different pistols, 45, 9, 38, 380. Over the last few months there have been several times when I realize someone is picking up my brass behind me. The last two times I was firing down range when all of a sudden I get hit in the heels by a broom! By the time I finish and make my pistol safe, the brass is in a pile being collected. In this most recent event, I turned to the young fella and said "hey, I keep my own brass". He looks at me with a blank stare and says "oh, ok, you can pick yours out of my pile! Are these nitwits out of line or am I just being too sensitive? I only pick up directly around my area being careful not to take brass that is not mine.

They're way out of line. If I was there firing my .357SIG or 300blk I'd be pissed if someone was taking my brass. I understand collecting brass but you can't wait until people are gone to collect what's left behind? Probably sells 90% of it anyways..

Brass rats deserve to be throat punched. ESPECIALLY if they don't ASK you BEFORE they try to grab your brass. Doubly so if they do it while you're right there shooting.

If I was in your position, I'd get the f***nuts membership info and report him to the club. That kind of shit needs to be squashed.

I might have explained to the twat, that you ONLY collect brass when there's no one shooting at the range (or many positions away). IMO, it's like someone coming up to you while you're eating (at a restaurant, or even at home) and taking your plate away from you when you're only 1/4 of the way into your meal. Plus not asking you before grabbing it.

Actually, throat punch and a kick in the Jimmies should be called for. Oh, and his broom handle should have been broken into small pieces. Second offense, they get introduced to his large intestine (the hard way).

Brass? I'd have a hard time maintaining decorum if bumped by a broom when shooting.

I like how NES Shoot RSO's always discourage brass rats. Yeah, that guy was a nitwit and deserves some 'constructive' criticism.

I mark all of my reloads with a blue stripe. After I load 100, I swipe across them all with a sharpie. If someone starts seeping brass near me, I tell them to leave the stripped ones.

They should ask, but a lot of people are unfamiliar with reloading, especially new shooters.

Brass rats are seldom new shooters. They're mostly old farts who shoot very little. And as an old fart who doesn't get to the range often enough, I'm allowed to make that characterization.

I've had brass rats literally dart out in front of the line to grab brass out of the dirt as soon as it hits.

I f***ing hate brass rats. It's one thing if someone ASKS but this pretty much never happens...

At least when I shoot at MFL the staff is nice enough to ask me whether or not I save my brass before they sweep the area directly behind me....

I'm not a fan of excess "rules" but I don't think it's unreasonable for every club to
have a rule that says that you cannot take or sweep brass if it is obvious that it doesn't belong to you, without permission.

-Mike

It might be right up there with hoarders. I leave them my Berdan primed 30.06....

The mountain phase of Army Ranger School is conducted in the Appalachians near Dahlonega, GA (not that far from Where Deliverance was filmed). National park land. Was there in February and March, and they get snow regularly.

We’d be tasked to execute an ambush, and would set up any hours in advance for an early a.m. attack. And we could tell when the OPFOR was getting ready to get themselves ambushed again, because we’d sometimes hear pickups drive up, doors slamming, etc. Brass rats. Drove the instructors absolutely crazy. Field craft is a big thing and if you so much as dropped a magazine on the ground you’d get written up, then these cats would be smokin and jokin waiting for the excercise to go off, usually a squad size event with an M60.

Got so bad they asked to transfer control that corner of the park to DoD to control access, don’t think that happened.

Debate stirred over proposed Camp Merrill move from Forest Service

Well there is two kinds of brass rats, new young shooters that need to be talked to, bring them up to speed on etiquette. Be nice, maybe make a friend.
And then there the ass that knows better, tell them off and kick there swept up pile of brass as far as you can.

Last edited:
IMO, it's like someone coming up to you while you're eating (at a restaurant, or even at home) and taking your plate away from you when you're only 1/4 of the way into your meal.
right, but more like going in and starting to eat off your plate while you're happily munching away.

Some of these younger people may just be trying to be "helpful" and clean up. Most probably don't reload or even think about reloading. Maybe this subject should be covered in the range orientation for new members. Don't be a grouch, talk to the kid and I am sure they would understand and even benefit from an older shooters knowledge, just sayin....

Some of these younger people may just be trying to be "helpful" and clean up. Most probably don't reload or even think about reloading. Maybe this subject should be covered in the range orientation for new members. Don't be a grouch, talk to the kid and I am sure they would understand and even benefit from an older shooters knowledge, just sayin....
"Cleaning up" when there's someone actually shooting in that section of the range is NOT acceptable by any stretch. It's not being helpful, but extremely disruptive for the shooter.

right, but more like going in and starting to eat off your plate while you're happily munching away.
True... I meant they would take your plate of food away from you, and would start eating it. Not sitting right at the same table, but probably one over. Or they'd get it to go so you couldn't do anything about it.

IMO, if the person 'collecting' the brass doesn't have the decency to at least ASK first, they deserve (at the very least) a verbal reaming. I WOULD report them to the club if it happened where I'm a member (to me at least). I'd have to review the doc's, but I'm pretty sure it's stated to NOT do that crap.

Man, now I need to get to the range this week...

I have never enoutered a brass rat, must be a rare species at my range. I actually wish more people would pick up their brass (like they are supposed to) and at least throw it in the bin.

"Cleaning up" when there's someone actually shooting in that section of the range is NOT acceptable by any stretch. It's not being helpful, but extremely disruptive for the shooter.

True... I meant they would take your plate of food away from you, and would start eating it. Not sitting right at the same table, but probably one over. Or they'd get it to go so you couldn't do anything about it.

IMO, if the person 'collecting' the brass doesn't have the decency to at least ASK first, they deserve (at the very least) a verbal reaming. I WOULD report them to the club if it happened where I'm a member (to me at least). I'd have to review the doc's, but I'm pretty sure it's stated to NOT do that crap.

This. I pick up my brass and my brass alone when others are at the range.and only clean other sections of the range (which I don't even reload most common calibers) when there isn't anybody else around specifically for the sake of cleaning. I bag it in plastic baggies I have and leave it on the table in the clubhouse for others to use. Also, who goes picking up brass that close to another person shooting without a heads up even if it's their own brass? Lucky I have never had to deal with one of these people.

I have never enoutered a brass rat, must be a rare species at my range. I actually wish more people would pick up their brass (like they are supposed to) and at least throw it in the bin.
I tend to see a good amount of brass at the utility range when I go there. I wish they had one of the rakes by the target stands so that someone could clean up when they want to. I might look into getting one and using it on at least that range.

me too, lol

I've never had someone poach my brass but i can tell you it would make me cranky. i think we've talked about it before but what drives me wild is the folks who show up with no spotting scope and expect a cease fire every 3 shots so they can walk down to see where they're hitting. now that i'm old and retired with all the time in the world while i wait for death, it doesn't bother me as much now as it use to. but still......

I ran into this periodically, bunch of difference shooters shooting at close proximity to each other, brass flies everywhere. The guy who wants to leave will sweep what's on the floor to comply with "policing your brass" and throw it all into the brass bucket. There is no good solution there, damned if you don't sweep your brass, damned if you sweep yours and someone else's.

You are expected to sweep up after yourself at our range, and were told so during orientation. My experience has been people continuing to shoot as someone else is packing up will say, upon seeing the person pick up the broom, something to the effect of "don't worry about it - I'll take care of it." I ask people if they'd like me to sweep up and am often told don't bother. To actually strike someone with a broom while they are shooting is just plain stupid, and another matter entirely.

Well there is two kinds of brass rats, new young shooters that need to be talked to, drop some knowledge and bring them up to speed on etiquette. Be nice, maybe make a friend.
And then there the ass that knows better, tell them off and kick there swept up pile of brass ass far as you can.
I think you hit the nail on the head, I will try this approach next time it happens!

I ran into this periodically, bunch of difference shooters shooting at close proximity to each other, brass flies everywhere. The guy who wants to leave will sweep what's on the floor to comply with "policing your brass" and throw it all into the brass bucket. There is no good solution there, damned if you don't sweep your brass, damned if you sweep yours and someone else's.
I think the unwritten rule at my club seems to be if someone is still shooting, people tend to leave their brass there rather than annoying someone or calling for a cease fire to pick up brass that ended up past the firing line. So if youre the last guy there and youre a reloader, you got a little score for yourself.

They would only bump me once! and the BOD would get an earful. If if put a round into the ceiling because someone or something hit me just as I was squeezing off a round I'm going to be held responsible so I'm not going to be nice and friendly about it. Simple rule. Stay behind the line when the range is active.

I clean up my own lane and the one next to me and keep my reloads. If I'm alone and the range is covered I'll sweep the whole range and put it in the barrel. Range sells the brass for a little extra income.

I'm all for sweeping up brass but I always ask the other person if they want to keep theirs. If they say yes and we're shooting the same caliber, I take half and leave the other half for them. If they say no, I pick up anything I want and toss the rest into the bucket.

Brass rats deserve to be throat punched. ESPECIALLY if they don't ASK you BEFORE they try to grab your brass. Doubly so if they do it while you're right there shooting.

If I was in your position, I'd get the f***nuts membership info and report him to the club. That kind of shit needs to be squashed.

I might have explained to the twat, that you ONLY collect brass when there's no one shooting at the range (or many positions away). IMO, it's like someone coming up to you while you're eating (at a restaurant, or even at home) and taking your plate away from you when you're only 1/4 of the way into your meal. Plus not asking you before grabbing it.

Actually, throat punch and a kick in the Jimmies should be called for. Oh, and his broom handle should have been broken into small pieces. Second offense, they get introduced to his large intestine (the hard way).

LMAO @ “Brass Rats”. I have one at my club too. It used ti really chap my azz and he does not even reload, he scraps it. So I do not say anything anymore. I let him pick up all the brass. He puts it all into a 5 gal bucket. Early spring last last year I made it a point to start bringing a bucket too when I go. So now before I leave I empty half of his into mine and say thanks.

Back
Top Bottom