• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MINI APPLESEED SUNDAY, NOV. 16, MONADNOCK, NH

Well, Thanks for letting us attend; sorry we had to leave early; but we had a great time the first 3 hours. I certainly learned a lot. Got home and looked at my first RedCoat target and then the last 5group i put together.. what a difference!
Cant wait to go to a full Appleseeds!

Well, Thanks for letting us attend; sorry we had to leave early; but we had a great time the first 3 hours. I certainly learned a lot. Got home and looked at my first RedCoat target and then the last 5group i put together.. what a difference!
Cant wait to go to a full Appleseeds!

Glad to hear your positive reponse despite the frustration Allison experienced.

(The wind chill made everything more difficult. Even a simple task of adjusting a sling can become a challenging ordeal when bare hands are required, thus underscoring the need for thin shooting gloves for New England shooters.)

I would like to thank Allison and Crak for teaching me that the M1 Garand sling can be adjusted without any tools whatsoever, once you learn the trick. Sweet!

I hope Allison doesn't give up, because she WILL make Rifleman if she keeps at it. She did much better than first-timers usually do, despite the weather. Sometimes those new to Applseed have no groups whatsoever. Allison started with a four inch group, and that's way ahead of the curve. Hang in there, Allison!

Would you recommend any particular thin shooting gloves? You may have noticed I had gloves with the furthest-out half of the fingers missing (they are made that way). It helped a lot for a while, but towards the end I could barely push cartridges into the mags.

Would you recommend any particular thin shooting gloves? You may have noticed I had gloves with the furthest-out half of the fingers missing (they are made that way). It helped a lot for a while, but towards the end I could barely push cartridges into the mags.

Great question! The short answer: FLIGHT GLOVES. They are designed for dexterity. Can be worn under mittons, if it's really cold.

Here are a couple of choices:

http://www.flightsuits.com/equip_gloves_usaf.html

http://www.copquest.com/12-1500.htm

The latter site has a choice, "Hatch KSG500 Kevlar Gloves with Short Cuff," which seems perfect for shooters, especially if you wear a watch. Might even buy a pair ot those myself.

If anyone else has suggestions, chime in before we all freeze our fingers off.

Horray, my first Appleseed event. It was good to meet everyone. Thanks for having it... I was thinking I wouldn't get another chance to go to one until next spring, so this was a pleasant surprise. I used my AR15 today because it had a sling, but next time I'll see if I can attach the swivel studs to the 10/22 (has the Tech sights on it so I'm GTG with that).

Prepper, you were the guy all the way on the left, correct? Just trying to put names with faces...

Regarding gloves, I will be among those looking for some good gloves before the Athol shoot. Advice for those going to Athol: Many, many layers! Top and bottom!

matt

The short answer: FLIGHT GLOVES.

+1 for those.

Also, I'm not sure you want shooting gloves specifically. What you want is gloves that will keep your hands warm (1st) and allow you to manipulate the rifle (2nd).

On Sunday, we all needed to protect our hands from two types of heat loss:
1- Conductive. This is the result of your body touching cold things like the rifle or laying directly on the ground.

2- Convection. This is where the warm air your body has generated is blown away by the wind.

Flight gloves work great for preventing conductive heat loss in the hands, but not so well for convection heat loss.

Also, the long gauntlets on the standard flight gloves work well to protect your wrists from the cold. This can happen when your sleeves ride up when getting in and out of shooting positions.

I used a pair of OR Wind Stopper gloves over a light pair of EMS contact gloves. My hands were warm and I didn't have any problems manipulating my rifle. I did need to remove one hand from a glove in order to fill my magazines.

Thanks to John and Eric for setting up the mini-appleseed. It was great to meet everyone and spend some time with like minded shooters!

Prepper, you were the guy all the way on the left, correct? Just trying to put names with faces...

Yup, that was me.

If I can force my vehicle through the snow to get to the range, I plan to be practicing all winter. So hopefully I can get this glove issue figured out. [grin] Either that, or I'll cheat by bringing along my Mr. Buddy heater.

Back
Top Bottom