• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini 14

The mini 14 is chamberd for 5.56, can it also shoot .223?
I have read that ar's in 5.56 can shoot .223 so was wondering about the mini 14,s.

Thanks

Actually I have been looking at the mini 14's for a while now. I am looking for a semi auto that shoots the 5.56 and 223 that is not an at 15. I just like the look of a traditional rifle over the ar15. My concerns are the rifle get a lot of negative comments, especially on accuracy.

Actually I have been looking at the mini 14's for a while now. I am looking for a semi auto that shoots the 5.56 and 223 that is not an at 15. I just like the look of a traditional rifle over the ar15. My concerns are the rifle get a lot of negative comments, especially on accuracy.

The newer ones, manufactured in the last few years, are said to have overcome some of the accuracy problems. Someone with more knowledge than me can shed some light on the cut off date.

.223 and 5.56 are pretty much the same. generated chamber pressure of 5.56 is higher than SAAMI specs for .223 but dimensionally rounds are identical.
for all intensive purposes rifle will shoot both.

reviews vise i guess people are complaining because there is a reason to complaint. however accuracy of mini-14 could be relative to something inherently more accurate and therefore overall it might be fine, just not as good as some might expect. i personally don't own one for a reason that this much bad rep is usually not a minor miss-judgement by few folks and i wouldn't want to risk it.

It was never designed to be a target rifle. It was meant as a light alternative to full size battle rifles like the M14.

They're reliable, eat any ammo you feed them, and lightweight. It won't group as tight as an AR but anyone that knows how to shoot a rifle should be able to put 20 rounds in a torso sized target at 100 yards no problem.

I said it before and I'll say it again... if you can't shoot a Mini effectively, you need to work on your shooting skills.

It was never designed to be a target rifle. It was meant as a light alternative to full size battle rifles like the M14.

They're reliable, eat any ammo you feed them, and lightweight. It won't group as tight as an AR but anyone that knows how to shoot a rifle should be able to put 20 rounds in a torso sized target at 100 yards no problem.

I said it before and I'll say it again... if you can't shoot a Mini effectively, you need to work on your shooting skills.

that confirms my theory about mini-14 accuracy. now i feel better about getting it if i ever beside to.

I owned a Mini 14 for a while but ended up selling it because of a couple annoying traits that never get mentioned. The first is that there's a very specific way you need to get the mag up the mag well. I struggled with this coming off of the AR15 platform where mag changes were simple. Also, the mag well is very tight. You need to stuff mags up there and rip them out with force. The second issue I had, which could be specific to my model, was that scope mounts were not readily available. This wasn't a deal breaker considering that the Mini was designed for closer ranges, but it certainly was disappointing.

The first is that there's a very specific way you need to get the mag up the mag well. I struggled with this coming off of the AR15 platform where mag changes were simple. Also, the mag well is very tight. You need to stuff mags up there and rip them out with force.

Were you using after market magazines or factory Ruger ones?

I'll have to take my old 1980s era mini-14 and run a 20 round mag through it and post a pick of the target. The last time I did I kept all 20 rounds in a 3 inch cluster around the X. Not bad for a POS ranch rifle.

I'll have to take my old 1980s era mini-14 and run a 20 round mag through it and post a pick of the target. The last time I did I kept all 20 rounds in a 3 inch cluster around the X. Not bad for a POS ranch rifle.

i wouldn't call it a POS rifle. m1/m14 style receiver is not easy to machine. that alone should take it out of POS category, IMHO. it;'s a nice little rifle and good made/re-designed for what it was intended.

i wouldn't call it a POS rifle. m1/m14 style receiver is not easy to machine. that alone should take it out of POS category, IMHO. it;'s a nice little rifle and good made/re-designed for what it was intended.

My POS comment is intended for the naysayers, I think it's a beauty in both style and functionality. I'll never get rid of it

I just bought a mini 14 Ranch Wood/blued steel at Chesters. They still had one left as of Monday. Got two Ruger factory mags (20 rounds) with it and was able to buy two more at SL Gunshop in Mason. Two 30 round mags currently on back order! I own an AR but wanted another rifle that took same caliber so I don't have all different caliber rifles (makes storage easier). My research shows this to be a 'little' dependable rifle. Modeled after the garand. It is truly a work of art. Check one out! Shame on the nay sayers!!!

One need look no further than the fact that those A-Team guys were never able to hit a single person with a Mini 14 for evidence they suck for accuracy [/SARCASM]

Actually I have no experience with them but I couldn't resist.

We had one when I was growing up. I wouldn't call em tack drivers, but they made fine ranch rifles. And was usually minute of coyote accurate.

Older versions of the Mini-14 were considered "not accurate" because they had a thinner barrel which heated up quickly. Newer versions over the last few years have a heavier barrel.

Last edited:
if AWB passes in new reading then we might see re-surge in popularity for mini14 and alike rifles that do not posses assault weapon features i.e. pistol grip.
same goes for m1a, sks, svt, m1 few other surplus semi-autos that might become the only thing for us plebs OK to own.
maybe even saigas in sporting config if they don't ban outright entire AK-family and derivatives.

Last edited:
The mini is a fun little rifle that responds very well to a trigger job, re-seating and re-torquing the gas block and a 1911 buffer in the FRONT of the op rod. Mine will shoot 2 MOA anytime. It sees as much use as any of my rifles. Great West gunsmithing has some excellent free videos on tuning up a mini. http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini14.htm
Somebody previously mentioned that they were common with correction facilities. This one is an ex Minnesota prison system.

DSCF00393.jpg

The mini is a fun little rifle that responds very well to a trigger job, re-seating and re-torquing the gas block and a 1911 buffer in the FRONT of the op rod. Mine will shoot 2 MOA anytime. It sees as much use as any of my rifles. Great West gunsmithing has some excellent free videos on tuning up a mini. http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini14.htm
Somebody previously mentioned that they were common with correction facilities. This one is an ex Minnesota prison system.

DSCF00393.jpg

i am glad i am not the only person that isn't ashamed to come out of the gun closet and embrace the mini 14.

when i have extra cash (and definitely not now) i will probably buy one.

just because.

i am glad i am not the only person that isn't ashamed to come out of the gun closet and embrace the mini 14.

when i have extra cash (and definitely not now) i will probably buy one.

just because.

I'm with you on that Atilla, I've been eyeing a mini14 for awhile now too.

If you have an early model with the pencil barrel and are having a problem with the group size opening up as the barrel heats up, you can solve the problem with an accustrut or mo-rod.
I'm not running one on this one because it is a GB model (government barrel with FH and bayo mount) Mo-rod does actually do make one for the GB model, but it is so short due to the bayo lug, I can't see it being of much use. You really need a full length one to be effective.

i have this weird flash-hider-y thing and i think the threading is for a mini... it was going on one of my ARs but the pitch is way off and the device itself is much larger than an AR barrel.

I owned a Mini 14 for a while but ended up selling it because of a couple annoying traits that never get mentioned. The first is that there's a very specific way you need to get the mag up the mag well. I struggled with this coming off of the AR15 platform where mag changes were simple. Also, the mag well is very tight. You need to stuff mags up there and rip them out with force.

I own AKs, ARs, FALs and a mini. All are different in the way that the mag locks in. All it takes is a little practice with each platform.
As far as being tight, I'll bet you were not using factory mags. There are many issues with aftermarket mags. I have a bunch of factory mini mags in both 20 & 30 round, no problems with any of them.

Back
Top Bottom