• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini 14 with a pistol grip stock thoughts

For the record, this was more along the lines of a for shits and giggles thought. I do not currently own a mini 14. Or any gun for that matter. I am waiting for my PD to give me an appointment, then I am waiting 6 months to get it
[slap]

And one for me [slap]

25ee000edca156bf4cf74d06b190595f.jpg

Then save your money until you can afford one. Don’t waste your money on a Mini-14 and expensive preban mags.

This. The cost of the Mini will get you about half way there. Throw in the cost of the stock and all the extra shit you'd undoubtedly want to do to it and you're about 60-70% of the way to a pre-ban AR.

The price of the Mini alone will get you a pre-Healey lower, no problem.

I think Minis are cool but they won’t be the AR you really want. If I wanted a semi .223 with detachable mags these days I would:

A. Probably spring for a Pre Healey rifle/lower at a reasonable price. There are rifles out there with inflated prices, but are still reasonably priced. If I could find a decent tier lower for $300 I’d buy it. If I could find a decent tier complete rifle for $1000, and didn’t already have something, I’d buy it. Before you write this off, consider how much a new Mini is.

B. I’d spring for a pre 94 lower/rifle much more easily these days. Quite a few are only like 10-20 percent inflated over their pre healey cousins.

C. The Keltec SU16 is appealing to me just because it uses stanag magazines. The folding feature is a cool bonus. Be aware it is not as robust as an AR or Mini; there is a lot of plastic on it, but it is very light if you’re into that.

Outside of those options I’m not sure what I think is best. Other options are expensive, rare/hard to find, or wall hacks that don’t really do what you want.

Imo it doesn't even make a good range gun. Put 3 mags through it and then have to worry about adjusting hold to hit a 8 inch plate at 100 yards......or let it cool down first.

I love my Ruger revolvers the 10-22 and the Mark series pistols. But the mini is just a bust imo
The mission that we chose it for is strictly home defense. Jill is not planning to fight against cartel hit squads. She practiced double taps from 3 yards out to 50 yards. More than adequate for home defense. 100 yards would be the next street away. Kind of hard to justify that.

The mission that we chose it for is strictly home defense. Jill is not planning to fight against cartel hit squads. She practiced double taps from 3 yards out to 50 yards. More than adequate for home defense. 100 yards would be the next street away. Kind of hard to justify that.
Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of rifles for home defence. Close quarters and rifle length reduce maneuverability.

Thoughts this as a way to make something that functions like an AR but isn't one? Mini 14, get rid of the bayonet lug if it has one, and add a non-adjust shoulder stock with a pistol grip. Would pass muster on the evil feature list, right?

Trouble is finding a nice stock that isn't adjustable fore and aft.

maybe something like this Ruger Mini-14/30 Pistol Grip Stock – Choate Machine & Tool – Choate Store Home
Now that i know you dont actually have a mini 14

There has to be a 1000+ years of combined experience here on NES over the past 40+ years to say ..... Dont go there.

Now fine if you like the mini then by all means get one.
Other than that I see no reason to buy anything but a pre 1994 mini 14 preferably a GB model? That way you can mini with all the goodies!

Thank you all for the feedback. I guess I will just have to sit back and watch the classifieds for someone who is willing to sell a lower for only 10x what they bought it for.

Thank you all for the feedback. I guess I will just have to sit back and watch the classifieds for someone who is willing to sell a lower for only 10x what they bought it for.
How about a 94 preban AR? Friend found a nice bushmaster pre 94 while traveling shipped to a MA FFL with fees was $1300. Almost bought the colt SP1 which is now in the hands of another MA LTC holder leagally.
Just know what your looking for and have a good idea of what you want.
If your after pistol grip and dont want to spend to much there is always HiPoint

Last edited:
Your thinking about this the wrong way. YES your going to pay a premium for "Ma" instate items.
So with MA AGs BS applied
Lets look at some basic ARs of decent quality lets keep it easy AR A2 style 20" iron sights by RRA or windham i consider theses middle of the road manufactures in prices. They are actually very good quality and my RRA A2's have been great.
In the free world these will set you back $ 850. Now MA AG BS we cant buy these out of state or through a dealer.
So now there is a premium. There has been a good amount of anderson and other inexpensive lower group buys here with some being as low as $50 some more. i forget how much the YHM NeS engraved lowers where ----
So even at 10x thats $500 for the lower. You can find a upper cheap and LPK are not commanding a premium , not yet any way. Spend $800 on upper and LPK and your at $1300?
A new mini is $800 and used ones are generally someones problem child.
i say this. Start hanging around more gun owners offer to pay for ammo and try as many guns as you can.
I own and shoot ARs because thats one of the types of rifles you can shoot in NRA service rifle.
Find what you like dont try to make something into what you like....it never really ends well.

oh and another thing.... Stop looking keep putting a few $ away until you get your LTC in hand.

Back
Top Bottom