• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini 14 with a pistol grip stock thoughts

Agnotology

NES Member
Thoughts this as a way to make something that functions like an AR but isn't one? Mini 14, get rid of the bayonet lug if it has one, and add a non-adjust shoulder stock with a pistol grip. Would pass muster on the evil feature list, right?

Trouble is finding a nice stock that isn't adjustable fore and aft.

maybe something like this Ruger Mini-14/30 Pistol Grip Stock – Choate Machine & Tool – Choate Store Home

Last edited:
Thoughts this as a way to make something that functions like an AR but isn't one? Mini 14, get rid of the bayonet lug if it has one, and add a non-adjust shoulder stock with a pistol grip. Would pass muster on the evil feature list, right?

Trouble is finding a nice stock that isn't adjustable fore and aft.

maybe something like this Ruger Mini-14/30 Pistol Grip Stock – Choate Machine & Tool – Choate Store Home
I'm a rugerr fan. I'll be the first to say anything having to do with a mini 14 is just a bad idea.

A mini-14 with a factory bayonet lug is worth a lot of money and you would be a moron to remove it.

Archangel Sparta stock is what you want.
Archangel® Sparta® Pistol Grip Conversion Stock for the Ruger® Mini-14® / Mini Thirty® / 6.8 Ranch Rifle - Black Polymer

But it isn't Mass legal without modifications to the folding/adjustable stock to permanently fix it in a set position. The mini receiver would also have to be the Ranch Rifle version without a muzzle device to stay under the feature limit.

Similarly the M1A pistol grip style stock from them:
Archangel® Precision Rifle Stock for the Ruger® Mini 14® / Mini Thirty® - Black Polymer

You would need to have the stock adjusted and then fixed, or have a fixed magazine conversion done (and add a stripper clip guide from Cogburn Arsenal for loading) to keep the stock adjustable.

Last edited:
Or just get an AR?

$1500 on a pre Healey lower is not something I would be willing to spend even if I could afford it.

A mini-14 with a factory bayonet lug is worth a lot of money and you would be a moron to remove it.

Archangel® Sparta® Pistol Grip Conversion Stock for the Ruger® Mini-14® / Mini Thirty® / 6.8 Ranch Rifle - Black Polymer

But it isn't Mass legal without modifications to the folding/adjustable stock to permanently fix it in a set position. The mini receiver would also have to be the Ranch Rifle version without a muzzle device to stay under the feature limit.

That grip is nice, but I can only have 1 evil feature. 2 makes it not AWB compliant. So I'd rather have a pistol grip than an adjustable stock

That Choate Mini-14 stock is the cheapest piece of crap I ever spent money on. I’d bet my last dollar the casting mold is the original from before 1980...

$1500 on a pre Healey lower is not something I would be willing to spend even if I could afford it.

That grip is nice, but I can only have 1 evil feature. 2 makes it not AWB compliant. So I'd rather have a pistol grip than an adjustable stock

You can do WAY better than that. I have seen pre '94 colts on GunBroker go for <$1200 recently and even some pre healey complete rifles here in the 900's.
Don't mean to distract from the OP, but if you want an AR, get an AR. If you try to make one from a mini 14, I think you will be bound for disappointment.

Perhaps OP is trying to be ironic because Bill Ruger shilled for the original Federal AWB in order to save the Mini-14 from being subject to the ban?

The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives.

William B. Ruger

William B. Ruger - Wikipedia

Archangel® Precision Rifle Stock for the Ruger® Mini 14® / Mini Thirty® - Black Polymer

You would need to have the stock adjusted and then fixed, or have a fixed magazine conversion done (and add a stripper clip guide from Cogburn Arsenal for loading) to keep the stock adjustable.
Whats do you mean by worth alot? Maybe the mini AC556 model somewhere around $12-$15,000.00
Theres a pre ban GB model for $1200?

Mini-14 is specifically exempted from the AW ban.
It was one of many specifically exempted in the Fed AW ban and through the inclusion of that in the MA AW ban it is also exempt.
Text - H.R.4296 - 103rd Congress (1993-1994): Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act

But as they say IANAL
Maybe im reading it wrong.
although the federal ban exempts the mini14 it specifically says the model with out folding stock.
Now did ruger offer a mini 14 with a fixed stock with pistol grip.?
Any how its basically with in the 2 features( detach mag +1 feature) if your adding a pistol grip and you have no other evil features.
?
Arrgghh like i said if you must mini go preban! Theres enough of them out there. They are not that expensive especially compared to a new production mini 14 in mass $850...

I happen to have an Archangel Sparta stock available in the WTS thread.

That thing's heavy as shit though. Wasn't worth it to me on mine, just for something tacticool looking. Also, if it's got a factory bayonet lug then it's probably pre-ban, will shoot like shit, but be worth a lot of money, and you can do anything you want with it because it's pre-ban. I'm reasonably sure Ruger hasn't produced one with a factory lug since the '94 ban went into effect.

The price tag on the Mini really is not worth it. I do like mine, and I have done quite a few upgrades to it, but I fully admit it wasn't worth the cost. They really should go for 25-40% less than they do.

You need at minimum an adjustable gas block or smaller gas bushing so it doesn't throw brass into the next state. While you're taking it apart for that, throw it in a Hogue overmolded stock and be done with it. Newer barrels don't benefit as much from an accu-strut as the old pencil barrels do, but I put one on mine because it looks cooler.

depressing that every attempt at technical discussion decays into an AWB debate. come on now.

the mini 14 is a cool piece of history and fun rifle. despite owning several including custom mini 14 build from Accuracy Systems, a stock mini does not keep up with even a budget AR. step 1 is to not compare them. do not get into a mini in lieu of an AR - it will be disappointing. if youre willing to become a student of rifles then the mini 14 will be satisfying. and pistol grip stocks are beyond stupid on a mini. you lose the easy portability and minimal footprint with absolutely zero gain. if you put $$ into a mini let Carl at Accuracy Systems rebarrel and tweek it.

General Mini 14 Thread

Last edited:
Skip the Mini-14. Buy a pre-ban AR instead.

I'd love to, but with what people want for them its just not in the cards.

You can do WAY better than that. I have seen pre '94 colts on GunBroker go for <$1200 recently and even some pre healey complete rifles here in the 900's.
Don't mean to distract from the OP, but if you want an AR, get an AR. If you try to make one from a mini 14, I think you will be bound for disappointment.
If its out of state, even if it is pre 94, it can't be imported to MA. Unless I am mistaken, which is always a distinct possibility.

I'm a rugerr fan. I'll be the first to say anything having to do with a mini 14 is just a bad idea.
My wife has the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and she loves it. Hers is late model, stainless steel and black synthetic stock. She uses FID-legal 10 round mags stuffed with M193 ball. She cannot handle the recoil of the 870 that I keep for home defense. Buckshot and slug loads are too much for her. She is fully confident with the rifle, though.

My wife has the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and she loves it. Hers is late model, stainless steel and black synthetic stock. She uses FID-legal 10 round mags stuffed with M193 ball. She cannot handle the recoil of the 870 that I keep for home defense. Buckshot and slug loads are too much for her. She is fully confident with the rifle, though.
We've actually had this discussion before.

My reasons for not liking the mini14

1. Proprietary mags
2. Aftermarket mags for the mini generally suck
3. Shot string.

The shot string is a problem. I've found it a problem even on new models. Buddy has one and after 30 to 40 rounds poi moves 6 inches at 100 yards. That's unacceptable for a battle rifle......therefore the mini is not a good battle rifle.

We've actually had this discussion before.

My reasons for not liking the mini14

1. Proprietary mags
2. Aftermarket mags for the mini generally suck
3. Shot string.

The shot string is a problem. I've found it a problem even on new models. Buddy has one and after 30 to 40 rounds poi moves 6 inches at 100 yards. That's unacceptable for a battle rifle......therefore the mini is not a good battle rifle.

The Mini 14 isn't a battle rifle [laugh]

It's designed to be a ranch carbine or a police trunk gun. I would pass on a Mini 14 if SHTF unless there was literally no other available, decent centerfire long gun around.

It's designed to be a ranch carbine or a police trunk gun. I would pass on a Mini 14 if SHTF unless there was literally no other available, decent centerfire long gun around.
Imo it doesn't even make a good range gun. Put 3 mags through it and then have to worry about adjusting hold to hit a 8 inch plate at 100 yards......or let it cool down first.

I love my Ruger revolvers the 10-22 and the Mark series pistols. But the mini is just a bust imo

The Mini 14 (AC556 actually) was one of several odd choices of equipment issued by the US State Department's Diplomatic Security Service. They chose several odd things when better options were available. We had the AC556, the UZI, 14" 870 (only good choice), and S&W Model 19. If felt like we were stuck in the 70's. The Marine Corps had to give the State Department a crap load of M9's so that embassy guards could start carrying them.

The Mini 14 (AC556 actually) was one of several odd choices of equipment issued by the US State Department's Diplomatic Security Service. They chose several odd things when better options were available. We had the AC556, the UZI, 14" 870 (only good choice), and S&W Model 19. If felt like we were stuck in the 70's. The Marine Corps had to give the State Department a crap load of M9's so that embassy guards could start carrying them.

It actually saw military service from the 80s to 2015 with... the Royal Bermuda Regiment. But yeah, mostly a police gun.

Ruger Mini-14 - Wikipedia

Your not trying many rifles have passed through NES WTS both 94 preban and pre Ma AG BS for good prices

Like I said there is a REAL DEAL preban mini 14 in the NES WTS section for $1200
You can sell tour current mini for what ever to offset the coat?

For the record, this was more along the lines of a for shits and giggles thought. I do not currently own a mini 14. Or any gun for that matter. I am waiting for my PD to give me an appointment, then I am waiting 6 months to get it

Your not trying many rifles have passed through NES WTS both 94 preban and pre Ma AG BS for good prices

Like I said there is a REAL DEAL preban mini 14 in the NES WTS section for $1200
You can sell tour current mini for what ever to offset the coat?

I don't need a pre-ban, just a pre-Healey.

Back
Top Bottom