Mini 14 Rifle

They ain’t that bad, the few I had never jammed but you know we never found the exit holes from our “from inside the barn accuracy test”

The newer ones with the tapered barrels are fine once you do something about them being overgassed with either a gas port pushing or a 1911 recoil spring pad behind the operating rod. Adding a barrel strut also helps. 1.5-2 MOA guns. Tech Sights highly recommended as an upgrade.

www.perfectunion.com is the main forum for the userbase.

The newer ones with the tapered barrels are fine once you do something about them being overgassed with either a gas port pushing or a 1911 recoil spring pad behind the operating rod. Adding a barrel strut also helps. 1.5-2 MOA guns. Tech Sights highly recommended as an upgrade.

www.perfectunion.com is the main forum for the userbase.
I always wanted one since I was 12 that’s when the A team hit the air. All those stainless folders. When I was 18 I went to buy one. I walked out with a sks and 3k rounds of ammo for around $200. 223 was not exactly cheap back then either. I did end up with a few over the years but they never shot well enough for me to want to hold on to them.
Buddy bought the new target model I have not got my hands on it but he has not been to eager to show me.

I’m still surprised they cost so much

The older ones are not known for their accuracy. The new ones are supposedly better. The same gun is available in 7.62x39 as the Mini-30. At one time Ruger made a selective fire version called the AC556. I've never shot one and I don't think Ruger makes it anymore but that doesn't matter because us peons couldn't own a new one anyway.

The older ones are not known for their accuracy. The new ones are supposedly better. The same gun is available in 7.62x39 as the Mini-30. At one time Ruger made a selective fire version called the AC556. I've never shot one and I don't think Ruger makes it anymore but that doesn't matter because us peons couldn't own a new one anyway.
they offer 300blk out also.... a little late IMHO.

I've had one pre-ban stainless folder and a newly manufactured one, purchased new.

Preban:
1. Has cool factor - it's the A-Team gun.
2. Because of the pencil barrel, the shots do string vertically - not great but is expected - about a 4-5 MOA gun.
3. has been reliable for me the few times I've had it out to the range.

New Manufacture:
1. Very over-gassed from the factory. I put in a new gas port bushing to calm things down a bit.
2. Had the new tapered barrel (barrel is thicker throughout to avoid stringing) but grouped horribly - we're talking ~4-6" groupings at 50 yards (definitely the gun, not the shooter - I can get tiny groups from my AR's).
3. I know that you can get the barrel strut which supposedly helps... but... 6" groups at 50 yards?? Sorry.

I ended up keeping the stainless folder based on cool factor and selling the other one. Never again. :)

The newer ones with the tapered barrels are fine once you do something about them being overgassed with either a gas port pushing or a 1911 recoil spring pad behind the operating rod.
I added a Wolf recoil spring and it took care of frequent jamming. Not sure if it helped with accuracy. The rear sight sucks anyway.

Thanks guys for your input. I think I will be looking elsewhere.
don't be turned off so quickly you need to at least find some folks that have them and test run one?
They a MSRP of 1k and up.... I think you can do better with that kind of money in the semi auto rifles

heck you can get a M1 garand from the cmp for $750 + $82 for a nice 1907 match leather sling and $250 rounds of ppu M2 ball for a total of $1000 oh and the cost of shipping to mail in your order to the cmp

don't be turned off so quickly you need to at least find some folks that have them and test run one?
They a MSRP of 1k and up.... I think you can do better with that kind of money in the semi auto rifles

heck you can get a M1 garand from the cmp for $750 + $82 for a nice 1907 match leather sling and $250 rounds of ppu M2 ball for a total of $1000 oh and the cost of shipping to mail in your order to the cmp

Your first line = Don't give up on the Mini 14 yet... test one out.
Your second and third lines = I think you should get something else.

:D

I've had one pre-ban stainless folder and a newly manufactured one, purchased new.

Preban:
1. Has cool factor - it's the A-Team gun.
2. Because of the pencil barrel, the shots do string vertically - not great but is expected - about a 4-5 MOA gun.
3. has been reliable for me the few times I've had it out to the range.

New Manufacture:
1. Very over-gassed from the factory. I put in a new gas port bushing to calm things down a bit.
2. Had the new tapered barrel (barrel is thicker throughout to avoid stringing) but grouped horribly - we're talking ~4-6" groupings at 50 yards (definitely the gun, not the shooter - I can get tiny groups from my AR's).
3. I know that you can get the barrel strut which supposedly helps... but... 6" groups at 50 yards?? Sorry.

I ended up keeping the stainless folder based on cool factor and selling the other one. Never again. :)
we tried setting up a faux coffin in the theback of a truck once to try to redo the sceen from one of the shows....lets say some people where not thrilled that Halloween
Your first line = Don't give up on the Mini 14 yet... test one out.
Your second and third lines = I think you should get something else.

:D
some people just like them you wont know if you don't try,
I know a few folks that have gone full tilt buddy sent his off to this place and got a $700 package tune up. Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Barrel Conversions New Rifle Packages Accuracy Systems
Came back with a sub 2 moa test target but he never found out what ammo they used.
Hes pulled off a few 2" groups at 100 yards until it gets hot then its a 5 moa rifle again. for the $1500 he has into it he could have had better accuracy in something else BUT he loves it

I don't hate mine, but it isn't the best gun in the world. It's not a tack driver, but you can generally hit what you're aiming at at 100 yards or less. It is extremely overpriced, though. I've put too much money into mine to make it a reasonable shooter only to have the shitty 10 round mags jam every two or three rounds. Works perfectly with the 5 rounders, though.

20180701_071447.jpg

I've put it in a Hogue overmolded stock, put on an Amega scout rail, and replaced the factory gas block with an Accuracy Systems adjustable gas block with built in accu-strut. Also the Wolff recoil spring replacement.

The Leupold scope I just put on this morning. It's there temporarily until the AR upper it was meant for is finished. I've stuck with iron sights and a cheap reflex sight until now.

we tried setting up a faux coffin in the back of a truck once to try to redo the sceen from one of the shows....lets say some people where not thrilled that Halloween

That's hilarious! I really miss that show. And Knight Rider. And Airwolf! And Chips...

some people just like them you wont know if you don't try,
I know a few folks that have gone full tilt buddy sent his off to this place and got a $700 package tune up. Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Barrel Conversions New Rifle Packages Accuracy Systems
Came back with a sub 2 moa test target but he never found out what ammo they used.
Hes pulled off a few 2" groups at 100 yards until it gets hot then its a 5 moa rifle again. for the $1500 he has into it he could have had better accuracy in something else BUT he loves it

Oh I know... I was just messing around :cool:

Accuracy is a non issue for me, its not a percision firearm and was never meant to be. Mines pretty reliable, most people with issues i assume are magazine related.

I don't hate mine, but it isn't the best gun in the world. It's not a tack driver, but you can generally hit what you're aiming at at 100 yards or less. It is extremely overpriced, though.
This is the best way to sum up the Mini14. For what it is, it is overpriced (in a free state, I would pay $500 tops). Magazines are a joke compared to AR/AK mags. Rear sight is awful. Gas tube gets crazy hot. Disassembly takes practice.

On the plus side, the single-action trigger is VERY nice. The rifle looks great with a 10 or 20 rnd mag in it, especially with a scope. Like the name says, it's basically a smaller M1A. It's nice to add to your collection, but plan on a few low cost upgrades and some quality mags.

I didn't realize they were going for close to a grand now in MA. At that price you are better saving for a M1A variant if you are in love with Garand style rifles.

Accuracy is a non issue for me, its not a percision firearm and was never meant to be. Mines pretty reliable, most people with issues i assume are magazine related.

The Ruger 10-rounders are shit. The 5, 20, and 30 rounders are all reasonably functional from what I've seen. I need to find some decent pre-bans, because 5 is not enough, and the 10s are jam-o-matics.

I'm not sure why Ruger refuses to work up some quality 10 round magazines and keeps selling the same pro-mag quality shit.

Thanks guys for your input. I think I will be looking elsewhere.
The biggest problem I've seen with the mini14 was shot stringing. My buddy had one for awhile......after a couple of mags the barrel heated up and the point of impact stared to shift to the right. This is common in many "pencil barrel" bolt action hunting rifles.....but thin barreled hunting rifles like this are designed to be light for long treks......to use for one well placed shot on big game. As long as you know the limitations on a pencil barrel bolt action that's all good. On a mini 14 though......I see no good points in a semi auto rifle that shot strings after a couple of magazines.

The biggest problem I've seen with the mini14 was shot stringing. My buddy had one for awhile......after a couple of mags the barrel heated up and the point of impact stared to shift to the right. This is common in many "pencil barrel" bolt action hunting rifles.....but thin barreled hunting rifles like this are designed to be light for long treks......to use for one well placed shot on big game. As long as you know the limitations on a pencil barrel bolt action that's all good. On a mini 14 though......I see no good points in a semi auto rifle that shot strings after a couple of magazines.

The newer models have done a decent job of correcting this, and that's also what the accu-strut was designed to help with.

The newer models have done a decent job of correcting this, and that's also what the accu-strut was designed to help with.

This. I had to mess with the gas block on mine as the rifle was ejecting brass into the next county. I wound up drilling out a .045 gas block to get it around .050. That seemed to calm it down and not fail to eject. It was hit and miss.

Mini-14 ain't a bad little rifle. For what it is, it does OK. Mine is the "newer" heavy-barrel version.

Pros:
The mini-14 is about the same size and feel as a 10/22. IT comes up to the shoulder and points
really fast. Recoil is negligible. Reliability, IME, has been fantastic. Its a lot of fun to shoot.
I also believe it to feel lighter than a stock AR.

Cons:
Not as accurate as an AR. Barrel heats up pretty quick.
Stock sights are adequate, but leave a lot to be desired.
Brass gets ejected into the next county.
Magazines are specific to the Mini-14 and a bit expensive.

Here's my $.02, and YMMV..what works for me may not for you, etc., etc...

I have shot a lot of Appleseeds over the last few years, and have a lot of trigger time with the 10/22 platform.
Aside from the Garand-type safety, and the rock-in magazine, 10/22 and Mini-14 feel a lot alike. The Mini-14 is like a 10/22 on steroids. Smaller stature shooters IMO should have no problem transitioning from shooting the 10/22 accurately to similarly handling a Mini-14.

As I mentioned the stock sights are adequate, but leave a bit to be desired..as they are not adjustable to the degree I prefer. I replaced the stock rear sight with a Tech-sight, as I did on my 10/22s. I am very pleased with the Tech-sight. I also have a scope, but I feel that it adds too much to the rifle. I prefer it to be a sleek, fast-handling carbine, which is what it is.

Accuracy of the Mini-14 is not as good as that of an AR. The Mini-14 barrel does get HOT pretty fast. I have also found that my particular rifle does OK with 55gr. bullets but prefers heavier bullets, like closer to 70gr. Having the ability to reload ammo is definitely an advantage in this area, where ammo can be customized to the rifle. All this being said, philosophy of use comes into play. If you are looking to put the smack-down on prairie dogs at 300 yds. , a Mini-14 probably isn't going to work for you. If you want to ring full-size steel silhouettes at 300 yds., or bust beer cans at 50 yds. then the Mini-14 will work just fine. The point of impact does walk after a couple shots, as the barrel on the Mini-14 heats up. But, in my experience, mine seems to shoot fairly consistently once it gets hot. And, it stays hot for quite a bit once it heats up. Be aware that the Mini-14 ejects brass, FAR.. like 20-30 feet or more far.

Price is another point of contention for some. I got mine at a well-known dealer (rhymes with "for reasons").. at the time was under $800.. True you can get low-priced ARs for less.. depends on what you like. Magazine options ain't great, or cheap, but the ones I have are built like tanks.

I own both an AR and a Mini-14. I pretty much like shooting anything that goes "bang!". Although I wasn't really a fan of the "A Team" back in the day, I do prefer the Mini-14. My personal preference is for the M1A/M1-Garand platform, with the lower sight plane, and a traditional stock. My Mini-14 is accurate enough for my purposes as I can and do ring steel at 300 yds with it. For quick, close range work, I think a Mini-14 will work just fine. If I had to give up the AR or the Mini-14, I'd keep the Mini-14.

If you prefer an AR, and it does what you need, get an AR. If you prefer the feel of the Mini-14, get the Mini-14.

Either will do the job within their respective limitations.

Bottom line:
The Mini-14 is a fun rifle to shoot. And yeah, I gotta be different.

Last edited:
I had one years ago, stainless but with the regular stock. I enjoyed shooting it, like mentioned not the most accurate, but it was a fun gun to shoot. Had the 30rd mags for it. But that was when it was a reasonably priced gun, I think I might have paid around $400 for the stainless model with 3 matching 30rd mags. One of the ones I wish I never sold. I'd still buy it now.. at that price :)

This. I had to mess with the gas block on mine as the rifle was ejecting brass into the next county. I wound up drilling out a .045 gas block to get it around .050. That seemed to calm it down and not fail to eject. It was hit and miss.

They sell pre-sized bushings so that you don't have to do any drilling. The Accuracy Systems adjustable gas block works really well, too. I have mine tuned to drop brass about 3 feet to my right. It does destroy any brass that jams, though.

they do not suck. i've been shooting the mini 14 for a while. iv'e owned 3 of them including custom work by Accuracy Systems in Byers CO. the mini 14 is not an AR-15. if someone wants an AR they will be disappointed with the mini. the mini 14 platform does not enjoy the massive economy and R&D that has blessed the AR. the production quality on the mini14 is hit or miss. Ruger's cost-cutting change from bolt-face ejector to the slide stop ejector system has led to inconsistent ejection. so some of them simply don't cycle reliably and tend to have ejection failures. however Ruger will fix or replace any of these rifles. i know because both of my mini 14's are ruger replacement rifles and they run 100%.

on a technical note, the mini 14's are horribly over-gassed. so much so that it's just stupid. some people tweek their gas bushing diameter to cut down on the gas. if it's a matter of obtaining quick follow up shots or having the rifle tuned perfectly then the over-gassing will need to be addressed. if it's just a range blaster or defensive rifle then stock should be fine.

compared to an AR or most MSR's, i find the mini 14 to be robust and sleek. personally i love the damn thing but i'm sort of a sucker for any garand or M14-style action with the exposed rotating bolt. if you want good info on the mini 14 I would search the ruger, perfectunion and M14 forums. in the ban states the mini 14 gets extra hate because people are butthurt about AWB BS, so it seems most of the mini 14 aficionados are in free states because these folk have actually chosen to get into the mini 14.

there are a ton of retarded upgrades for the mini 14 that achieve nothing except some aesthetics. ask me how I know. the rifle can be a $$ sink. the only upgrade I've found to be worth every penny is a hogue overmolded stock. i would think carefully about optics as well. with a factory barrel i do not believe the rifle warrants any magnified optics. a red dot is more than adequate. at most like a 1-4x or maybe 1-6x but if stretching this rifle beyond 300 yards the shooter will likely be disappointed as it's unlikely to group below 1.5-2 MOA. for accuracy most bolt action .223's or a quality barrel AR (e.g. an Odin works 18") will absolutely smoke the mini 14 like you'd swear it's two different cartridges.

as mac1911 mentions above, the mini is definitely over-priced for what it is. for an investment cast receiver and overall build quality the gun should be like $600 max. that didn't stop me from dropping more on them.

old thread on my mini 14 experiences, although much has changed since then:
My Humble Mini-14 Review

while this is technically a "cleaning" video, the dude knows his rifles and provides solid info:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDsnGFrQulA

Nutnfancy is annoying but his coverage of the mini is accurate

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPAPsWYwuJ0&t=163s

Last edited:
The Ruger 10-rounders are shit. The 5, 20, and 30 rounders are all reasonably functional from what I've seen. I need to find some decent pre-bans, because 5 is not enough, and the 10s are jam-o-matics.

I'm not sure why Ruger refuses to work up some quality 10 round magazines and keeps selling the same pro-mag quality shit.

the ruger 10 rd mags work perfectly. i've probably put 5000+ rounds through them. they're identical to the other ruger mini mags just 10 rds. they are not made by pro-mag. the pro-mag magazines are garbage. perhaps the vendor sold you pro-mags instead of ruger OEMs?

+1 on the Trigger work done by Accuracy Systems in Byers CO.

Stock trigger on my Mini-14 was raspy, just like the stock on my AR before I got an upgrade. Smooth trigger makes a world of difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom