• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini 14 magazines

What is the largest preban cpacity magazine that they made? markings? did they ever make a drum? if so any idea where I can obtain legally?

What is the largest preban cpacity magazine that they made? markings? did they ever make a drum? if so any idea where I can obtain legally?
Lmfao

Edit- back OP's Q: my limited research revealed

-the obvious "LE" marked mags produced in the ban period(no legal)

-claims that true pre bans were made of sturdier gauge steel-(seems subjective not having seen the difference in person)

-initial 20 rounders were pinned 30's with pins being telltale sign

otherwise there seems no way to differentiate old from new & there do seem to be some suspect situations where no proof is available

i say this as a mini owner & with frustration over the BS laws of this state.

otherwise a great little gun & some variety to the collection

as always I defer to those who know better!

enjoy

Last edited:
Other then drums there are 40 rounders. I dont think any larger exist but like most mags there are probably some doubled 20s and 30s out there. Which other than range use have no pratical use.
Ive read on the internet at non factory mags may not function well.

You can legally buy them anywher that sells them, if there not marked LEO ONLY.. they must be preban, right?

How many are you looking for? I just bought a KAC556k (full auto mini 14)
So im in the market to buy some.. but dont need more than 10 or 20. If you want PM me i might be able to track down some in bulk.

Im more than liely only going to buy stainless 20s and 30s though
pix537155385.jpg

Last edited:
Other then drums there are 40 rounders. I dont think any larger exist but like most mags there are probably some doubled 20s and 30s out there. Which other than range use have no pratical use.
Ive read on the internet at non factory mags may not function well.

You can legally buy them anywher that sells them, if there not marked LEO ONLY.. they must be preban, right?

How many are you looking for? I just bought a KAC556k (full auto mini 14)
So im in the market to buy some.. but dont need more than 10 or 20. If you want PM me i might be able to track down some in bulk.

Im more than liely only going to buy stainless 20s and 30s though
View attachment 184186

Congrats. That's a sweet gun.

Your best chance of finding them is to search the net. As MGnoob stated most aftermarket mags are not reliable in the mini. If you can find them PMI and federal ordnance are the best and most reliable compared to factory mags. There are a lot of people selling supposed pre ban factory mags, but the issue with this is there is no way to distinguish that they are actual pre bans and not just made a few years ago.

If you do buy some pre bans and find they do not function properly there are a few things you can do. First make sure the feed lips look/are bent the same way the factory mags are. Second a lot of issues come from followers getting caught in the mags and tilting so sanding any sharp/rough edges on the followers can help. You can also replace the followers for ruger factory ones. Third replace the spring for a stronger spring that gives more pressure to puah through any of those follower snags. Lastly make sure the mags are clean. I have found many new mags straight out of the package that have residual grit. Take them apart and clean them up with a quality clp. None of this guarantees reliability, but is your best shot.

I have some of the pre-ban clear plastic Ramline mini 14 mags - they also work in AR-15's...

I have some of the pre-ban clear plastic Ramline mini 14 mags - they also work in AR-15's...

How is it they work in either?Wont the part that locks the mini14 mag in prevent a mini14 mag from instering into an ar15?

How is it they work in either?Wont the part that locks the mini14 mag in prevent a mini14 mag from instering into an ar15?

Prior to this thread I had no idea that there was a magazine that would work in both the Mini-14 and an AR-15...

I just had a look and I see how it can be done. The two magazines are the same length and width. The AR magazine has a ridge down the back that is the same size and location as the locking lump on the back of the Mini-14 magazine but it goes all the way down the magazine.

If you took an AR magazine, added a hole at the front for the Mini-14 pin, cut a notch in the spine of the AR magazine and modified the follower so that it didn't use the spine as a guide, it might work.

Conversely, if you added a hole in the right spot on a Mini-14 magazine for the AR magazine catch you might be able to use a Mini-14 magazine in an AR.

There is still a follower issue with the bolt hold open features, but I think that can be solved...

Hmmmm.... I think I have a new project now.

I have blue steel, 20 and 30 round, Ruger brand, pre ban, Mini 14 mags. I know they are pre ban because I bought them pre ban. I've not seen larger capacity, Ruger brand, pre ban, mags though. Kinda wish that I still had a Mini14.

Apparently it is possible to convert a m16 mag to work in a ar15 or vise versa.
Its not quite as simple as other conversions out there on top of that there are already feed issue associated with the mini 14.
You also have to figure in the cost of preban ar15 mags to be converted..while ar15 mags have greater availability.
Typicallypical mag conversions are done to extremely cheap mags to work in an expensive platform like $4 9mm uzi/greasegun to $100 GB Rape colt 9mm mags

So what i guess what i am saying, unless you can't find any mini14 mags it doesnt make any practical sense to convert them.you be better of selling AR mags and buy Mini14 mags.

Your best chance of finding them is to search the net. As MGnoob stated most aftermarket mags are not reliable in the mini. If you can find them PMI and federal ordnance are the best and most reliable compared to factory mags. There are a lot of people selling supposed pre ban factory mags, but the issue with this is there is no way to distinguish that they are actual pre bans and not just made a few years ago.

If you do buy some pre bans and find they do not function properly there are a few things you can do. First make sure the feed lips look/are bent the same way the factory mags are. Second a lot of issues come from followers getting caught in the mags and tilting so sanding any sharp/rough edges on the followers can help. You can also replace the followers for Ruger factory ones. Third replace the spring for a stronger spring that gives more pressure to push through any of those follower snags. Lastly make sure the mags are clean. I have found many new mags straight out of the package that have residual grit. Take them apart and clean them up with a quality clp. None of this guarantees reliability, but is your best shot.
Good advice, generally speaking. Factory is the way to go with the Mini-14 magazines but many (most?) aftermarket magazines can be made to work with a little patience, tender loving care and sometimes parts replacement. 100.00% perfect reliability? maybe not... but not terribly bad either if you know what you're doing. [thinking]

I will take exception to the often seen statement that there is no way to tell the difference between a pre-ban and a post ban Mini-14 factory magazine. That's just not so in my experience. That dubious statement became a popular myth long before Maura's insanity when few people really cared all that much and even fewer people knew or could tell the difference in (non-ban period) factory Mini-14 magazines.

A far more accurate statement would be to say that the differences are not well-documented or not well understood or that it is difficult to ascertain the date of manufacture of the magazines without their original packaging. It's why you see such a high demand (and high prices) now after Maura for factory magazines still in their original packaging.

Is that confusion or lack of clear differentiating features and documentation enough to be safe in Maura's Massachusetts? I guess each of us has to answer that question for ourselves.

I have a bunch of these. Here's some pics of the mags. Work great in both, unfortunately don't really trust the plastic..... The only prebans I know of that can be proven are these ones, Ram-line MAC 1530 made in Golden CO.

IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg

Thanks for posting those. Never heard of or seen them, but it might just be i dont use plastic mags so they didnt appeal enough to me to matter.

Just ran into another issue with a pre ban mini 14 mag that I have never run into before. Luckily it was a quick fix and should be now be reliable. I just received some unopened PMI mags. Like usual I take them apart, inspect them, and clean them before their first use. Got to the last mag and noticed the follower wasn't fully seating at the top of the mag. Both the mag and follower were smooth with nothing to catch on. The spring was strong and in perfect position. Turns out that the top of the mag was just slightly out of alignment and pinching the follower a few millimeters before reaching the top. Would never be able to tell with the naked eye. Quick fix was to use a soft piece of wood to gently pry open the top of the mag just a touch to prevent that pinching and now it works flawlessly.

Back
Top Bottom