Mini 14 accuracy

i got my dad a Mini-14 ranch a few years ago. it was "ak accuracy" as in good enough up to 50 yards... off the bench rest and sand bags.

good gun IMO, other than the safety, hell i don't even remember how it works. the iron sights on it suck... but it's a pretty good gun to have. i mean really, the A-team used them!!!! pew pew pew pew

It'd be a good cheap rifle just to have around... if all your other guns got lost at sea or something. It's just no comparison next to the AR platform. BUT, it's still better than a Mini-30. [laugh]

I wanna know where you guys are finding Mini-14's for $500. I haven't seen a $500 mini since BEFORE 2008.

It'd be a good cheap rifle just to have around... if all your other guns got lost at sea or something. It's just no comparison next to the AR platform. BUT, it's still better than a Mini-30. [laugh]

IIRC, i paid less than $500 at Riley's in Hooksett, NH... they were going for $650+ at stores in MA.

These Mini 14 threads are getting just as bad as the AR vs AK ones. [rolleyes]

sorry, i made that comment in jest. [wink] any rifle like the mini-xxxx ak-xxxx is better than a handgun and i agree with your point. if you can't hit a target at 100 yards with them, you need to eat a glock or a 1911. [smile] [laugh]

I wanna know where you guys are finding Mini-14's for $500. I haven't seen a $500 mini since BEFORE 2008.

I picked up a stainless with a mint stock at either one of the Wilmington or Marlboro gun shows about 3 years ago for $450. Acme Armament recently sold a blued ranch model with 6 mags for $430 I think it was just a few months back. That add lasted only a few hours.

They're out there for decent prices, you just need to keep an eye out and let people/shop owners know you're looking for one.

I don't believe the top target in your example is repeatable. In fact, I know it's not. You cannot have consistent accuracy without an equal degree of precision. Once a gun/ammo combination is precise, accuracy is only a sight adjustment away. You can't improve an imprecise gun.

I had an 80's vintage Mini 14 a while back. The first time I took it to the range, I could only keep about 8 out of 10 rounds on a paper plate at 100 yards. I bought a B-Square scope mount for it, and put a decent 3-9 scope on it, shot it off a bag, and it grouped to about 6" ay 100 yards. I then added an Accustrut, re-torqued the gas block, and installed a buffer. I could get 3" groups until it got hot, at which time the groups would open up again to paper plate size at 100 yards.

Before you blame the shooter, I was shooting off a sandbag, and I can hit a nickel at 100 yards all day long with the same ammo in an AR.

Last edited:
I don't believe the top target in your example is repeatable. In fact, I know it's not.

Not sure what you mean.

Litz' latest book spends a great deal of time elaborating on the concept.

The book is broken into 3 parts: Precision, Accuracy, and WEZ analysis.

Part 1 focuses on Precision, which explores how hit percentage is affected by variables affecting group size, including:

Muzzle velocity variation
Range estimation error
Wind estimation error, and
Inherent rifle precision

Part 2 focuses on Accuracy, which is how well the group is centered around the aim point. Chapters in the Accuracy section include:

Leveling your sights
Trajectory modeling
Secondary trajectory effects
Calibrating ballistic solutions, and
Live fire verification
http://appliedballisticsllc.com/book2.html

You cannot have consistent accuracy without an equal degree of precision.

I'd agree with modern, well-maintained firearms/optics it would indeed be rare. But I can also imagine shoddy or malfunctioning equipment that could render one without the other. Either way, I didn't come up with it. My original link was wikipedia, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom