• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini 14 accuracy

I was just reading a thread on about an ar15 vs ar 10 accuracy at 600 yards. Wow some of you know your stuff. I am new to the gun world so forgive my simple questions. What is it that makes the ar 15 o much more accurate than a mini 14?
Thanks

Here we go again. Someone chime in how a Hesse built tier 98 AR can make one inch groups at 600 yards and any mini 14 can't hit the ground when pointed down........

Essentially the mini has a thin barrel that whips and changes POI as it heats up.

I was wondering this same thing a few days ago. I've heard mixed reviews on the Minis accuracy. Some people say that since Ruger started making Minis with a thicker barrel, the accuracy has improved. I'm not an expert though.

Been thinking about getting a Mini and since I can get them for about $400 through work, I might pick one up.

As stated it was a barrel issue and temp inconsistency.

Like the Pinto, it was remedied, but the damage had been done. Word is the newer ones don't suffer from this, but I've never shot a new one.

There is so much more that goes into accuracy than twist rate and barrel thickness.

Accuracy is the measurement of how close to the target something is, which is different than precision. Precision is how repeatable a given measurement or observation is. Something can be accurate without being precise and vise versa.

I'd like to see somebody provide the manufacturer's acceptable tolerances on chamber size, bolt face size/design, headspace... the list goes on. If it can be shown that the tolerances of one manufacturer or action design is looser than the other, I might buy into something, but for now, all I see is a bunch of LazyBoy Commandos telling me that the Mini-14 is an inaccurate gun. Provide me with some evidence as to why the AR-15 is better or worse than the Mini-14 design and I will probably take your side.

Maybe it's the alcohol talking at this hour, but unless you can put down sub MOA groups with your AR and factory ammo, I don't care if you say it's accurate or not. I want data. More often than not, you are the limit, not the gun. Note: I use AR's for the measurement of accuracy, not the Mini-14, because I know more about them and their usual performance standards.

Science, people. Science. Don't be afraid to think for yourself.

Last edited:
There is so much more that goes into accuracy than twist rate and barrel thickness.

Accuracy is the measurement of how close to the target something is, which is different than precision. Precision is how repeatable a given measurement or observation is. Something can be accurate without being precise and vise versa.

I'd like to see somebody provide the manufacturer's acceptable tolerances on chamber size, bolt face size/design, headspace... the list goes on. If it can be shown that the tolerances of one manufacturer or action design is looser than the other or whatever, I might buy into something, but for now, all I see is a bunch of LazyBoy Commandos telling me that the Mini-14 is an inaccurate gun. Provide me with some evidence as to why the AR-15 is better or worse than the Mini-14 design and I will probably take your side.

Maybe it's the alcohol talking at this hour, but unless you can put down sub MOA groups with your AR and factory ammo, I don't care if you say it's accurate or not. You are the limit, not the gun. Note: I use AR's for the measurement of accuracy, not the Mini-14 because I know more about them an their usual performance standards.

Science, people. Science. Don't be afraid to think for yourself.

This is the most ridiculous post I have ever read on the internet. Ever.

It has been proven, thousands of times on countless blogs, articles, and even scientific studies, that the Mini 14 is an inaccurate rifle. When you have a rifle, at rest, throwing rounds all over the paper, it's the guns problem, not the shooters. To suggest that humans are the limit and guns are all on the same level of accuracy is a laughable idea.

"LazyBoy Commando?" Grow up, armchair scientist.

The Mini 14 is more accurate than most internet commandos who bash it. Remember, the most inaccurate part of a gun is it's operator.

The Mini 14 is more accurate than most internet commandos who bash it. Remember, the most inaccurate part of a gun is it's operator.

I'm referring specifically to the older models. When you're firing from a rest and aiming right for center target and the first shot hits way left, than the next shot hits 8 inches right, that is a shit gun. Like I said it has been proven by just about anyone that has reviewed a Mini 14. Are you saying that every single person that has ever reviewed a Mini 14 is a bad shot? I find that hard to believe.

What's with all of this "internet commando" and "lazyboy commando" BS? It stopped being funny / whitty about a year ago.

Last edited:
This is the most ridiculous post I have ever read on the internet. Ever.

It has been proven, thousands of times on countless blogs, articles, and even scientific studies, that the Mini 14 is an inaccurate rifle. When you have a rifle, at rest, throwing rounds all over the paper, it's the guns problem, not the shooters. To suggest that humans are the limit and guns are all on the same level of accuracy is a laughable idea.

"LazyBoy Commando?" Grow up, armchair scientist.

Why is it ridiculous? Because it goes against common thought or because I hurt your feelings? Boohoo, put aside your feelings and have a discussion based on data.

All I said was show me the data or a reason why one is more or less accurate than the other. I didn't say that guns are all on the same level of accuracy, I just said to prove to me why one is the way it is- there is a big difference.

Most people are not sub-moa shooters and it is a case of the rifle being more accurate than the shooter. I'm not saying everyone is a bad shooter, but in most cases the gun is better than the operator.

Last edited:
The mini 14 should be compared to the .30 carbine not the ar15. The only thing the Mini and the AR have in common is the cartridge. That said the new mini's are doing A LOT better than the old thin barrel models. Keep in mind the people that say "My AR will out shoot any mini-14" Guess what, If any mini-14 owner could chose a between thousands of combinations of barres, gas systems, twist rate, length, compensator etc. They could compete with that.

New mini's are shooting about 2 MOA with factory ammo. If you choose to compare a $500 Mini to and AR you really should chose a $500 AR. Just thoughts.

I own both. I typically shoot the mini with double the size groups of the AR, so does my son. I am not saying the mini is junk, just less accurate than a typical decent AR. The mini has a 4x scope on it and the ar either irons or a red dot. Read about the mini, the barrel is really thin and affected by harmonics and heat. Pretty well known fact. The AR has a thicker barrel in all aspects and does not have a huge op rod that slams around, bouncing the entire mini assembly in the stock.

Look up how to accurize a M1A, most of the issues are the same for the mini. A upper assembly that is held into a wooden stock and moves around. The AR has a much more stable upper due to design amd lower mass of reciprocating parts. You won't find "facts" on the mini as not many are going into analysis of the type of cut rifling as matched to the twist rate and the fact that the mini was never known for even 3 moa accuracy out of the box. Plenty of companies out there specialize in accurizing the mini with heavy barrels. Look on their websites for more explanations on why it is not as accurate as the typical AR

My mini will shoot 2 MOA all day long. Granted I have ARs that will hold a tighter group, But unless you are going for a headshot at 300 yards, the Mini is up to the task.

My old (first gen) mini would hit 8 inch plates at 300 as long as the barrel was cool. Dump 20 quick and then try it. No way would it hit. I lived it, so I know.

Interesting how there is a lot of inquiries about Mini-14's now that AR's are unobtainable. Sounds like the rifle of last resort.

Mini 14's are fun. Accuracy on recent generation models is good. It's not a target or bench rest gun. It's a fun gun.
[video=youtube_share;WSihf_ZuAxw]http://youtu.be/WSihf_ZuAxw[/video]

I have an early series mini with the pencil barrel. The barrel used to whip noticeably after a decent string of fire. At a 100yds it would stay on a 10x10 target under heat but was pretty sloppy. After cutting the barrel down to 16" andadding a scout mount my groups are much more consistent. The scout mount braces the barrel and acts as a stabilizer. It hasn't been scoped for some time but i consistently hit clays at 100-150yds with open sights or a red dot. The new taper barrels are supposedly better in regards to consistency. I wouldn't second guess using the mini for 200yds or closer. An AR it ain't. An AR it was not intended to be. They are pretty much known as a minute of coyote ranch rifle.

So this discussion boils down to taking technical jargon from one field of practice and inserting it into another to 'win' a discussion? What are you people, 14 years old?

The mini 14 should be compared to the .30 carbine not the ar15. The only thing the Mini and the AR have in common is the cartridge. That said the new mini's are doing A LOT better than the old thin barrel models. Keep in mind the people that say "My AR will out shoot any mini-14" Guess what, If any mini-14 owner could chose a between thousands of combinations of barres, gas systems, twist rate, length, compensator etc. They could compete with that.

New mini's are shooting about 2 MOA with factory ammo. If you choose to compare a $500 Mini to and AR you really should chose a $500 AR. Just thoughts.

+1

i got my dad a Mini-14 ranch a few years ago. it was "ak accuracy" as in good enough up to 50 yards... off the bench rest and sand bags.

good gun IMO, other than the safety, hell i don't even remember how it works. the iron sights on it suck... but it's a pretty good gun to have. i mean really, the A-team used them!!!! pew pew pew pew

Bill Nance is the only Mini owner I know of. Never shot one and would pass on it anyway.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Back
Top Bottom