1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

MINDTREK VR (virtual reality)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jasonj84, Oct 11, 2018.

1. jasonj84

jasonj84 Dealer NES Member

Have some buddies coming in (unexpectedly) and looking for something to do on Saturday. Anyone done the VR thing (Mindtrek, specifically), or any dedicated interactive vr place? Also thinking about King’s Bowl (haven’t been there). Please no “take them shooting”. We shoot when I go see them. Just renewing my range membership I didn’t use once last year. Any other suggestions welcomed.

2. whatluck

whatluck

Boston Bowl late night Saturday is always fun.

3. LuvToGoFast

LuvToGoFast NES Member

MindTrek is a blast.

4. jasonj84

I like to start drinking earlier than late night. Just looked it up. I see what you did there. Late night in Dorchester sounds great! Like virtual reality, but with real bullets. My idea of “extreme” tourism is a bit different.

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  5. jasonj84

Thank you. Was looking for some general feedback. I have done high end consumer vr, but nothing near that level. My buddies have no experience with it.

6. BostonBullit

BostonBullit

Did the MindTrek zombie one in Orlando last year, fun stuff. Don’t expect perfect reproduction of firearms mechanics but having 6-8 people in there fighting zombies together is a good time. Wanted to do the space one but didn’t have time.

7. jasonj84

Def did not expect perfect reproduction of mechanics. Appreciate the feedback. Wanted to try it out anyway. How drunk should I get them the night before?

8. richc

richc NES Member

I grew up in Dorchester. Spent many a day and night at Boston Bowl, in the parking lot, around the back of the building and more. I'm in my 60's now so this was a very long time ago.

The stories I could tell! OMG... the sh*t that went on, including the staff.

:)

whatluck and krallstar like this.
  9. whatluck

whatluck

Yup, still fun, still a blast! I just wouldn't go alone or flash around alot of cash. I get tons of respect there, I love 9-ball and have been known to clean house. The other place I love at night is Dave and Busters in Braintree. I used to play GRID all night, drew a crowd. They pulled the game, I think because I was getting an hour and a half of play out of 1 credit, and nobody would ever 1v1 me.

The IMAX in downtown Boston is pretty great. There's a ton of live music near the Seaport if you're into that, fancy cocktails and live Jazz, dress nice or you won't get a table. Salem is pretty nice this time of year on the weekend at night, but again, don't go alone.

I did Bret's haunted house around this time last year, a bunch of the people working there were trippin balls, that was really funny. This one girl had a really cool zombie outfit and a sledgehammer made from a axe handle and cinderblock, she jumped out from around a corner with dilated pupils and said "BOO", to which I made a funny face, upside down mask with fingers and said "BRAWRRR" and she lost her shit, fell on the ground laughing. Didn't stop, could still hear her as I walked away.

There's some minigolf places that are really hot on the weekeds in the fall, bring booze.

VR is kinda lame, it always seemed odd to GO OUT with friends to play video games, but whatever floats your tugboat.

richc likes this.
  10. jasonj84

Dude, we need a short break from drinking..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  11. whatluck

whatluck

That first quote came from a meme thread.

12. BostonBullit

BostonBullit

One thing to be aware of is that if someone is prone to motion sickness they might get a little queezy in a VR environment....which might also play into how much you want to drink ;-)

I have a Vive VR setup at home and the mechanics of some of the games are amazing. In the zombie games I have you need to be able to actually aim a handgun properly or you’ll be dead fast. It’s funny because when I let non-shooter friends play I tell them they need to aim the gun and use the sights and when they don’t hit anything they say “I AM aiming!” but I can see on the monitor they are just pointing the gun and pulling the trigger. The games at MindTrek are less strict in that regard