• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mind your own business or get involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave you the only answer you'll get. I think it was more than sufficient.

Well I'm sorry, my life is far more valuable than protecting some kid who could be, for all I know, a punk-ass deadbeat from getting a black eye.

Its completely circumstantial. Saying people are "sheeple" for not stepping in and becoming Jason Bourne is idiotic.

Well I'm sorry, my life is far more valuable than protecting some kid who could be, for all I know, a punk-ass deadbeat from getting a black eye.

Its completely circumstantial. Saying people are "sheeple" for not stepping in and becoming Jason Bourne is idiotic.

You're right. Maybe not sheeple. Cowardly fits well, too.

Really? Because I'm not the one blindly jumping into every street fight in the name of sweet justice. I'm not the one who says that no matter what I'll be in the middle of it all, throwing punches, no matter what the consequences. I won't apologize for being so short-sighted that I could lose my life for absolutely nothing, leaving my family father/brother/sonless and my friends in misery.

Nope. You're the one standing their watching innocent people get victimized because you either lack the stones or the character to do your best to prevent it.

Really? Because I'm not the one blindly jumping into every street fight in the name of sweet justice. I'm not the one who says that no matter what I'll be in the middle of it all, throwing punches, no matter what the consequences. I won't apologize for being so short-sighted that I could lose my life for absolutely nothing, leaving my family father/brother/sonless and my friends in misery.

Nope. You're the one standing their watching innocent people get victimized because you either lack the stones or the character to do your best to prevent it.

You're already making assumptions that they're innocent, which is my problem.

I'll play the odds. If there's a young teenage girl getting mugged by some gangbanger, of course I'll help out. If there's an elderly woman being beaten by some drunkard, of course I'll help. But I'm not going to dive head first into every situation without assessing it first, which is what you seem to be advocating.

Realisticly if you walk into a situation you have no idea what happened immediately beforehand.
Sure you have 4-5 guys beating the crap out of someone else and you want to help that person from being assulted and worst case killed.
What if those 4-5 guys just called the cops on this guy and are chasing him down after he raped or murdered one of their relatives?

My point is call the Police 1st, then observe who is there, descriptions, plate numbers ect.

Better to let some guy take a beating for a minute then shoot an innocent man or woman.

Maybe the best example was during my Pistol permit class. THis CCW was driving along and came upon a car on the side of the road with a woman holding a gun to a man's head. He stopped, pulled out his handgun and yelled out "freeze B****" She turned with the gun saying" WHAT DID YOU CALL ME" and he shot her.
Turns out the guy she had the gun on origionally had tryed to rape her, she pulled the gun away from him and was waiting for someone to call the police.

Point being: call the police, ONLY use your CCW if you know what is going on.
[thinking]

nutkick.gif

I believe you are trying to apply binary logic to a situation that is gray by design and will always be so...

The fact that its gray is exactly why I won't go barging into a mob of people every time I see a street fight. There are far, far too many variables to say that one thing is the right thing in the majority of circumstances.

Cowardice demands you stand back in your safety zone, wait for the operator, wait for the call to be routed to dispatch, wait to give your name..location, wait for the officer with the pen and pad so that you can be a better witness for what just happened.

Gotta keep the humanity off your clothing and from under your fingernails..cant get the remote control dirty later on....

No, I was pretty clear earlier in this thread.
I was responding to Kalahari...

I read this question and answered assuming that all the other variables that needed to be solved to engage were... Would I step in, or would I run and hide...

If you try to solve all the other variables in a hypothetical, I think you are a. going to miss the point of the question and b. will never be able to answer definitively...

Maybe I misinterpreted the question, but I read it to say something to the effect of - "would you risk your own life and the wrath of the liberal legal system to protect someone else with the use of force?"

And I don't think the question is that simple. There are countless situations where I could see myself stepping in and facing legal consequences and being O.K. with the fact that I could even do time in the name of defending someone. But if I can minimize that risk, I'm going to. And there are probably just as many situations where I would probably step back and say "You know what, not my problem. It isn't worth potentially losing my life."

When would I get involved? Only if it was a situation where there can be no question of what is right or wrong.

Kid getting attacked by a dog, get involved.

Someone is hurt, car accident or other, stop and help. Been there done that.

Someone is about to shoot a uniformed cop, get involved.

Someone is getting their ass kicked and I know neither party, I stay out of it.

Sure it could be some poor kid who crossed a gang or it could be a bunch of undercover cops taking down a drug dealer who is resisting arrest and is possibly armed.

Sure don't be a coward, but don't do anything stupid which will get yourself killed and make the rest of us gun owners look like triggerhappy nutjobs.
[banana]

-keep a baseball bat handy, a 24" tourque wrench or some equally "less" deadly weapon [rofl] and you can probably make some caca happen.

i'm NOT joking. when the SHTF, the gun is that last thing on my mind....

If you hit someone with a wrench it's called Assault With a Deadly Weapon. It's legally not viewed much different than attempted murder. In fact lots and lots of shootings result in ADW charges (name varies but the law is the same) not attempted murder.

Before you go all ninja on someone you'd better be damned sure that you are doing the right thing, and your "gut" is the last thing on earth you'd better be using to make the decision to get involved.

Everyone likes to talk about their "ideal" situation. In fact, that arises very rarely. What you're much more likely to find is a situation that is anything but clear as to who is the aggressor and who is the victim and how serious the situation is. You're drastically more likely to face a situation where using deadly force would be illegal, particularly in Mass where the use of deadly force threshold is very high.

No one here is going to stand by and do nothing while someone stomps a little old lady. But in fact it's pretty damned unlikely you're ever going to see that happen. You wanna bust a cap in someone's ass for snatching a purse? Have fun in Walpole. Are you going to go all Rambo and chase the guy down? I'll notify your kids what a hero you were as you died for $200.

If someone sticks a knife in my ribs all of a sudden and demands my wallet he's going to get it. when it's prudent or absolutely necessary to protect myself at the risk of getting stabbed, I'll pull my piece and that will be that (Or I'll be slower than him and die trying).

911 is your friend. Call the cops, be a good witness, get plate numbers, descriptions etc. and as a very last resort, intervene if you think someone is about to die or be grievously injured.

In high school, my friend and I were driving home one night and we saw a gang of kids kicking a taxi driver who was on the ground.

My friend knew a couple of the kids by name, they were some of the "tough" irish kids from "Whiskey Point". He stopped the car in front of them and yelled "the cops are coming, get in!". This was in 1979 or so, long before cell phones.

I thought he was out of his mind, but they all stopped what they were doing and jumped into our car (about four or five of them), and we drove and dropped them off in their neighborhood. It stopped the guy from getting kicked, and I don't know when the police were going to get there.

So, I would never have done that myself, but maybe it was the best way to stop someone from getting hurt.

Maybe it goes to show that in real life the situation often isn't cut and dried at all.

If you hit someone with a wrench it's called Assault With a Deadly Weapon. It's legally not viewed much different than attempted murder. In fact lots and lots of shootings result in ADW charges (name varies but the law is the same) not attempted murder.

Before you go all ninja on someone you'd better be damned sure that you are doing the right thing, and your "gut" is the last thing on earth you'd better be using to make the decision to get involved.

Everyone likes to talk about their "ideal" situation. In fact, that arises very rarely. What you're much more likely to find is a situation that is anything but clear as to who is the aggressor and who is the victim and how serious the situation is. You're drastically more likely to face a situation where using deadly force would be illegal, particularly in Mass where the use of deadly force threshold is very high.

No one here is going to stand by and do nothing while someone stomps a little old lady. But in fact it's pretty damned unlikely you're ever going to see that happen. You wanna bust a cap in someone's ass for snatching a purse? Have fun in Walpole. Are you going to go all Rambo and chase the guy down? I'll notify your kids what a hero you were as you died for $200.

If someone sticks a knife in my ribs all of a sudden and demands my wallet he's going to get it. when it's prudent or absolutely necessary to protect myself at the risk of getting stabbed, I'll pull my piece and that will be that (Or I'll be slower than him and die trying).

911 is your friend. Call the cops, be a good witness, get plate numbers, descriptions etc. and as a very last resort, intervene if you think someone is about to die or be grievously injured.

It's strange how the law has made timid so many men.[thinking]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom