• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Milton firefighter shot in Quincy in alleged road rage attack

namedpipes

NES Member
Note sure if this is a dupe - Yes I did search on "fasano"!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...r_shot_in_quincy_in_alleged_road_rage_attack/

An off-duty Milton firefighter was shot and critically injured late Saturday night or early yesterday in what police described as an apparent episode of road rage on the streets of Quincy.

Joseph Fasano, 30, who has worked for the Milton Fire Department for the past four years, was driving near his home when the driver of a sports car in front of him repeatedly slammed on his brakes, forcing Fasano to slow down, police said. Both cars pulled over on Commander Shea Boulevard near the North Quincy Red Line Station. The drivers exchanged words, police said, and the other driver pulled out a .45-caliber handgun and shot Fasano in the abdomen.

Fasano was rushed to Boston Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. Police said yesterday that Fasano’s condition was critical, but the hospital would not comment on his condition.

“We’re pulling for him,’’ said John Foley, Milton’s deputy fire chief. “Everybody’s concerned for his well-being.’’

Foley said that Fasano underwent surgery yesterday and may have to have more surgery today.

Fasano is a second-generation firefighter. His father, John Fasano, was a lieutenant who retired from the Milton Fire Department. “Joe’s a very affable guy,’’ Foley said. “He’s well-liked - a good firefighter.’’

Quincy police said Fasano’s girlfriend was in the car, witnessed the shooting, and called 911 on her cellphone, telling police that the suspect was a white man who fled in a gray or silver sports car. The suspect remains at large. Police were investigating last night. People with information about the shooting were asked to call the Quincy police.

John M. Guilfoil can be reached at [email protected]. Globe correspondents Taylor Adams and Christopher Girard contributed to this report.

I went to highschool with Joe. Good guy but not surprised he got involved in a road rage incident. Tough kid, former marine if I remember correctly. Hope he pulls through ok.

If someone in front (or behind) of you is driving like an a#3h###,
best thing you should do is get the license plate, while avoiding them.
Fasano made 2 mistakes,
stupid game, stupid prizes for sure.

Pulling over to get out and yell at someone you don't know because they don't drive the way you want them to is just dumb.

Quincy has its areas and its easy to get over confident while living there. He never should have gotten out of the car that's for certain, if the other car was in front of him he should have let the other car lead the turn on Shay and kept going on. A gut shot with a .45...man thats messed up. Something I'd reserve for kiddie diddlers only.

Note to self next time I am out in the middle of the night tailgating someone and they keep giving me the get off my ass break lights I should back off. And then when they pull over to let me pass at a safe location I should pass and not even give them a glance. Because if I have been tailgating the car for some time the driver may be a bit perturbed because they dont like having high beams a foot off their bumper especialy if it is a low to the ground sports car and I am driving an SUV basically blinding them. And by all means I would not stop and get out of my car like I was the one that had been wronged because that is a good way to get shot.

I hope this fellow mends well and is a lesson to all of us to try your best to be smart.

I wouldn't call the guy an idiot! Smart people make stupid mistakes all of the time! We can't be perfect in every situation but his former training should have given him an edge on making a better judgement call.

The whole situation seems a bit odd....my wife has a theory that maybe it's a pissed off husband or boyfriend that set him up as payback...something like that....I mean seriously who here would have let that situation play out like it did? And the girlfriend couldn't give any information worth a damn..you'd think she would have somehow gotten the plate number. I feel bad for the guy and hope he pulls through but I also think there is much more to the story and it will eventually come out.

I wouldn't call the guy an idiot! Smart people make stupid mistakes all of the time! We can't be perfect in every situation but his former training should have given him an edge on making a better judgement call.

Sorry, but I disagree. I made a stupid mistake by not being prepared for a tire blowout in the freezing weather Friday. Making a stupid mistake by getting into a road rage incident at midnight with an unknown driver and taking a .45ACP to the gut, is a sure sign of idiocy...

I hope the guy pulls through - wouldn't wish that on just about anyone, but I hope part of his recovery is realizing just what a puffy-chested dumbass he is...

The whole situation seems a bit odd....my wife has a theory that maybe it's a pissed off husband or boyfriend that set him up as payback...something like that....I mean seriously who here would have let that situation play out like it did? And the girlfriend couldn't give any information worth a damn..you'd think she would have somehow gotten the plate number. I feel bad for the guy and hope he pulls through but I also think there is much more to the story and it will eventually come out.

No, people are just that stupid and as for her giving information. She was in the truck, ducking for her life and frankly scared out of her mind. No surprise she didn't get any actionable information.

Sitting 2 feet off someone's bumper at 68 MPH in the slow lane appears to be some kind of law here. I see people do this all the time, even when there's 2 empty lanes for them to pass. They also like to do this on windy small highways with poor grading and low visibility. They don't flash their lights or anything, it appears they simply think 2 feet is a safe following distance. This is the RULE here, not the exception.

After getting rear ended for the third time in three years (no, I'm not exaggerating) in this miserable pest-hole of a state I adopted the following policy:

First I will gently tap my breaks a few times to send the message to back the F*** off. If that doesn't work, I gradually slow down. Eventually dipstick may grasp the message. If there aren't a lot of people behind the offender I'll slow WAY down until he backs off or passes me. If I simply can't get him off my bumper I'll try to move over so he can pass.

I generally drive 5-7 miles over the speed limit on highways and about 4 mph over the limit on surface streets depending on the conditions. I virtually always drive in the slow lane unless I'm passing someone. If some Ma**h*** just HAS to drive 80 MPH in the slow lane he can go to Hell. I haven't had a speeding ticket in almost 25 years and I'm not getting one just because some dumbass left for work a few minutes later than he should have.

Methinks there's more to this story. For all we know Fasano may have scared the shooter so badly he was in fear of a major beating, making this a righteous shoot. Either way this is a clear case of PSGWSP.

Bill, that's always something on which I can never get a straight answer. When there is no physical weapon involved, at what point can you be scared of serious injury/death?

Is a much bigger guy who is coming at you enough? How about two or three big guys? What if the guy can obviously put you on the ground and then grab your gun out of your holster while your down? Now you throw in what happened to that veteran over the summer that got sucker punched while trying to walk away from the fight and died from a brain injury? Or the dad in Reading that was beat to death at the hockey rink?

I know that's a lot and probably putting too much thought into it. But something I've turned over in my mind. If I'm really scared for my safety, at what point can I draw and ask the person to back down (without worry about being arrested)? Maybe Mr. Cohen can weigh in on this?

Bill, that's always something on which I can never get a straight answer. When there is no physical weapon involved, at what point can you be scared of serious injury/death?

Is a much bigger guy who is coming at you enough? How about two or three big guys? What if the guy can obviously put you on the ground and then grab your gun out of your holster while your down? Now you throw in what happened to that veteran over the summer that got sucker punched while trying to walk away from the fight and died from a brain injury? Or the dad in Reading that was beat to death at the hockey rink?

I know that's a lot and probably putting too much thought into it. But something I've turned over in my mind. If I'm really scared for my safety, at what point can I draw and ask the person to back down (without worry about being arrested)? Maybe Mr. Cohen can weigh in on this?

All things being considered disparity of force should be a viable means for defense in a civil/criminal matter, but chances are you will run the risk of it being considered (brandishing)A/B w/dangerous weapon.

I think you have to go with your gut feeling and lots of prayer.

So far, no issues. I've always been able to talk the person down and de-escalate if someone threatened me. No fist fights for me since I was in my early twenties. It's just not worth risking if they're better than me or might be palming a blade. Knock on wood I never have to make that decision.

I also hope this thread story isn't another LTC who just had a temper and gives us all another black eye!

After some thought I really have to retract the statement about being in fear making this a righteous shoot (in a Mass court).

My understanding is that you must be in fear of grievous bodily injury AND without the ability to retreat to use deadly force. If this guy pulled over and got out of his car to "have words" with Fasano and was legally armed, he's screwed, even if you don't count leaving the scene.

He's also a bloody fool. That kind of nonsense is one of the privileges you give up when you choose to carry a gun. You back AWAY from potential confrontations, not charge into them.

But if I have no ability to retreat and a guy who outweighs me by 50 pounds is in a rage threatening to kill me I'm legitimately allowed to use deadly force to stop the attack. I may have a difficult time convincing a DA of the facts, but legally I'm within my rights.

IANAL, so take this as my opinion only.

Thanks for the thoughts Bill, sounds like good advice. My stance has always been first to try and get the person calmed down and defuse the situation. That doesn't work, try to get away or get to a place with people around.

If this guy pulled over and got out of his car to "have words" with Fasano and was legally armed, he's screwed, even if you don't count leaving the scene.

He's also a bloody fool. That kind of nonsense is one of the privileges you give up when you choose to carry a gun. You back AWAY from potential confrontations, not charge into them.

I agree.

If you are "joe meathead tough guy" you might want to reconsider carrying a pistol. It's a great deal of responsibility. You can't get into fist fights when you are armed, you need to avoid unnecessary confrontation when ever possible.

IMO, if you shoot someone who is unarmed and they never laid a hand on you - you are going to be screwed. Espically in a case like this where both people are clearly at fault.

It's one thing if someone is trying to rob you or attacks you at random, but if you show up a bar and start picking fights with any big guy that looks at you crosseyed - you can't shoot them when they confront and then expect to get off because they are bigger than you. Common sense

I completely agree Diver. Although, I will reserve final judgement until all facts are out. I was not aware he fled the scene. That right there makes me think either A) He didn't have a license or B) He shouldn't have had one

Some guys just seem to think that they're so big and tough they can screw with anyone at any time and come out the better. Some of them will one day find out they're tragically wrong.

Who knows what happened here. Maybe the GF knows, but the rest of us are left guessing. I hope the guy makes out OK.

I figure if it's not worth dying for, then it's not worth fighting over.

But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom