Milsurp Collectors & Shooters????

I know most of us milsurpers also shoot these objects of History and wonder where have
these been, and what stories could they tell, and we do get a kick out of seeing how
well we can shoot them. So those of you who are in the affore mentioned catagory
i thought i would bring to your attention a shoot that is being held on the 21st of November Saterday at the Haverhill Hound Fish &Game club i intend to be there and
its a fun shoot open to the public so check out the websight www.hhrg.org
so bring out those old beautys and blow the cobwebs out of them
who knows some of you might even hit the target?? i might, lol anyway check out
the sight it looks like it will be fun Take Care Sheriff Dudley

P.S. It was good seeing you at the show RAY

I shoot all my milsurps. I'm not a fan of "safe queens" although there are century-old guns that have never been fired and should stay that way. I don't have the money for those anyhow so it's a moot point for me. [grin]

One of my favorites to shoot is the WWII Luger. 9mm is not the best manstopper but it sure feels that way when you shoot it.

The Mosin is great fun too.

Interesting. I mostly shoot Garands and the only bolt-action milsurp rifle I have is a Mossberg 44US. Maybe I should reassemble my Czech Mauser one of these days....

I shoot my Garand, and I go with MAEMT86 and shoot his collection of Milsurps. I figure as long as they are properly cleaned and greased/oiled after then why not

I shoot my Garand, and I go with MAEMT86 and shoot his collection of Milsurps. I figure as long as they are properly cleaned and greased/oiled after then why not

I second that motion. Its like classic cars, vintage warbids you name it, fun too look at sitting still, but much better when they roar to life

Milsurp Collectors & Shooters??

I forgot to mention if any of you guys want go to this shoot and dont have a "bolt gun"
let me know and i will be happy to bring a couple maybe a 98Mauser and a Moisin Nagant
just let me know i will even bring the ammo! cant beat that deal!! we love to shoot and
we love to share

TAKE cARE S.D.

I recently aquired some WWII and WWI vintage pistols (1943 P38, 1944 P35, 1918 P08). I would say they have collector value (they're worth more than their intrinsic 'gun' value) matching numbers/mags, good finish, but really want to shoot them. I've detailed stripped them and they all look sound, actions are tight, clean bores, no rust, no pitting - expected finish/surface wear but all the internals look clean. Springs are bouncy and tight, no craks/burrs on anythign, function tests with snap caps all work fine.

What kind of post use care should I employ? Anything beyond usual detail strip, clean grease and oil?

I've heard of people buying aftermarket internals and saving the matching parts for later sale to avoid damage. Anyone do this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

When I bought my Luger I had to replace both the extractor and ejector. Both were broken. I kept those original parts just to have them. I found an original unissued German ejector, but had to go with an aftermarket/ reproduction extractor. Both parts needed some 'smithing to fit and function correctly. I did not need a gunsmith for that. Done at home. The gun shoots nicely. The only thing that bugs me is that the original extractor had the last two digits of the serial # stamped on it. Obviously the repro one does not, but the finish matches ok.

Anyhow, as far as installing aftermarket parts to save wear on the originals, You'd probably have better luck doing that with your P38 and Browning. The Luger has pretty tight tolerances between parts. Even if you found original German parts, they don't necessarily fit perfectly together. This was one of the biggest reasons the 3rd Reich wanted to replace the Luger with the P38.

ETA: I just assumed you meant a Browning or FN P35. Maybe you're talking about a Radom? In that case, Radom parts are fairly tough to find I've heard. Never owned one.

Last edited:
Back 30 years ago when I got an original Luger, I was advised to stay away from mil-surp 9mm ammo. Lots was available from WWII and I was told much of it was loaded for smgs and not pistols . . . and thus could cause damage.

I belonged to a "lead only" club anyway so I downloaded some light target loads and never had any problems with the gun/ammo. Lots of club members were disturbed and told me that I'd "break the gun" by shooting it, but I ignored them. [laugh]

Totally in!!!
As my collection grows...

VintagePistols.jpg

Last edited:
Back 30 years ago when I got an original Luger, I was advised to stay away from mil-surp 9mm ammo. Lots was available from WWII and I was told much of it was loaded for smgs and not pistols . . . and thus could cause damage.

+1
Make sure to use ammo with a max. velocity of 1,050 fps @ 125 grs bullet weight in the Luger.
Also, try to get a replacement firing pin & extractor and keep the originals.

No such thing as a "Safe Queen" around my place .... many do not get shot often, but they all make it through the rotation at least once a year ...

@Pilgrim
You may want to look for PRVI ammo for the Nagant revolver.
It's new manufacture and quite a price breaker vs the Fiocchi which comes up for sale every now and then.

Thanks, I have the 32 cylinder and some ammo for it, but I just can't bring myself to shoot it as it doesn't appear to have ever been fired.

I see it at gun shows here and there. I'm betting you'll be able to find it at Marlboro this month.

If I get there, I'll look. Thanks

Thanks, I have the 32 cylinder and some ammo for it, but I just can't bring myself to shoot it as it doesn't appear to have ever been fired.

That's a reason.
However, Soviet/Russian surplus firearms coming to market are usually arsenal refurbs. The Russkies didn't scrap anything, they just refurbed and stockpiled for "in-case-of".

Back
Top Bottom