Military Ranges, Civilian Use of (USC)

amb

NES Member
Did everybody know about this except me, or is it as obscure as I think it is?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/usc_sec_10_00004309----000-.html

That says, essentially, that subject to reasonable restrictions you may use government-funded ranges, and if it's on a base you can't interfere with military use.

I don't recommend trying to beat anyone over the head with it, since if you make an enemy of Range Control it's not going to go anywhere you want to go even if, in theory, you are granted access. On the other hand, if the powers-that-be are on the fence, maybe it will get them to jump off in the right direction?

What ever happened with the potential civilian use of some of the Camp Edwards ranges that was floated a couple of years ago, anyway?

What ever happened with the potential civilian use of some of the Camp Edwards ranges that was floated a couple of years ago, anyway?

it would be nice, but i don't see it ever happening, especially since the range on the base here is way busier now than it's been in the last 10 years

Reasonable restrictions are usually pretty unreasonable for small groups. Simply not worth the effort for anything except a very large event IMO. However there are facilities that have a long standing relationship with clubs/associations that seem to be relatively reasonable. I've shot a large number of civi. matches on military ranges.

B

I read the rules for Quantico,VA shooting club and you can IF you abide by the rules and I think that they are reasonable for reasonable persons.

I can see that law existing, Camp Perry competitions not withstanding.

The trick to actually getting to exercise that right would include getting the base commander's permission to get from the front gate, through parts of the rest of the base, to the range with your stuff in the first place.

The trick to actually getting to exercise that right would include getting the base commander's permission to get from the front gate, through parts of the rest of the base, to the range with your stuff in the first place.

exactly... there is a reason bases have gates and don't let civilians drive willy nilly around em

Back
Top Bottom