• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military Issues Contract for M4s Valued at Nearly $120 Million

Reptile

NES Member
The U.S. military awarded FN America a five-year contract on Feb. 13 worth $119,216,309 for M4 and M4A1 carbines chambered in 5.56 NATO. Terms of the agreement run through 2024, with five, one-year ordering periods specified in the terms. Approximately 167,195 firearms are included in the deal, and all firearms “…must be manufactured exclusively within the United State or its Territories.”

The news comes less than six months after the military selected three finalists for the Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) contract, an indication the U.S. Armed Forces change to new firearms and ammunition may take much longer than expected. The NGSW competition is limited exclusively to firearms that chamber a hybrid 6.8 mm cartridge with its design at the discretion of the submitting company.

SIG Sauer’s NGSW submission is one of the trio still in the running, but while government engineers were busy evaluating entries, the company unveiled a radical new .277 SIG Fury cartridge—which happens to have that 6.8 mm bore diameter—to enthusiasts during the SHOT Show. The other finalists in the competition, Textron and General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems, have been characteristically quiet. True Velocity ammunition did, however, confirm its composite-cased cartridge was part of the latter company’s submission.

Good lord thats a lot of pressure.
Its a 6.8 on meth.

"Currently, SIG is moving forward with civilian versions of its 6.8mm cartridge developed for the competition, the 277 SIG Fury. This cartridge utilizes a hybrid case technology made from brass and other materials. The combination is rated to handle 80,000 psi of chamber pressure. By comparison, “magnum” cartridges typically produce a maximum of 62,000 psi.

277 SIG Fury Ballistics
This added pressure will drive a 135-grain bullet from SIG’s Hybrid Match cartridge 3,000 fps from a 16-inch barrel, and produce 2,694 ft.-lbs. of energy. The 135-grain bullet has a respectable .488 G1 BC.

SIG’s 277 Fury Hybrid Hunting load features a 140-grain bullet with a .508 G1 BC, launching from a 16-inch barrel at 2,950 fps. That one produces 2,706 ft.-lbs. of muzzle energy, too."

Its a 6.8 on meth.

"Currently, SIG is moving forward with civilian versions of its 6.8mm cartridge developed for the competition, the 277 SIG Fury. This cartridge utilizes a hybrid case technology made from brass and other materials. The combination is rated to handle 80,000 psi of chamber pressure. By comparison, “magnum” cartridges typically produce a maximum of 62,000 psi.

277 SIG Fury Ballistics
This added pressure will drive a 135-grain bullet from SIG’s Hybrid Match cartridge 3,000 fps from a 16-inch barrel, and produce 2,694 ft.-lbs. of energy. The 135-grain bullet has a respectable .488 G1 BC.

SIG’s 277 Fury Hybrid Hunting load features a 140-grain bullet with a .508 G1 BC, launching from a 16-inch barrel at 2,950 fps. That one produces 2,706 ft.-lbs. of muzzle energy, too."

Holy Jeezus! 135 grain 3000 fps from a 16" semi? Terminal ballistics on BG's like those prairie dog videos?

Faster cooking bacon...?
ted-cruz-machine-gun-bacon-barrel.png

Its a 6.8 on meth.

277 SIG Fury Ballistics

The weapon will likely have a very short service life. Bolts and bolt carriers will crack. Gas ports will be eroded. Way too much pressure for the M16/M4 platform. Maybe a roller-locked action would be a better alternative.

I don't know what to think. Right now on paper it looks good for FPS/Energy but so doesn't the M16. I think there are other factors that need to be considered.

The weapon will likely have a very short service life. Bolts and bolt carriers will crack. Gas ports will be eroded. Way too much pressure for the M16/M4 platform. Maybe a roller-locked action would be a better alternative.

That's the big drawback of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Average barrel life in that caliber is only about 2,000 rounds.

Could you elaborate? Sorry... my ignorance is showing.
When the M1 Garand (and other semiautos) were being developed in the 1920's, it was initially chambered in .276 Pedersen (AKA 7x51). Several other competitors were chambered in similar calibers. Studies done on pigs showed favorable results and it had considerable support.. There were significant benefits in weight and felt recoil.

But we had billions of rounds of 30.06 (our version of the German 8mm) so ACOS Douglas McArthur decreed the Garand would be 30.06. It was by no means certain the gun would even work in that caliber at the time.

The religious wars about caliber have raged ever since.

When the M1 Garand was being developed, it was initially chambered in .276 Pedersen (AKA 7x51). Several other competitors were chambered in similar calibers. Studies done on pigs showed favorable results. There were significant benefits in weight and felt recoil. But we had billions of rounds of 30.06 (our version of the German 8mm) so ACOS Douglas McArthur decreed the Garand would be 30.06. It was by no means certain the gun would even work in that caliber.

The religious wars about caliber have raged ever since.

Also, there was the .280 British versus 7.62x51 debate. Pretty much everyone except US Ordnance wanted .280 British. This debate goes all the way back before the Spanish-American War with the Navy's and Marines' adoption of the Lee-Navy.

M1895 Lee Navy - Wikipedia

If they were interested in saving taxpayer dollars they should look at some of the guns they send through the demil machine at Anniston, i got a demo there many yrs. back and i was appalled to observe almost new guns being dropped in the machine,, a lot of them were well worn but a notable percentage were in fine shape. when asked why they said they were doing as they were told.

If they were interested in saving taxpayer dollars they should look at some of the guns they send through the demil machine at Anniston, i got a demo there many yrs. back and i was appalled to observe almost new guns being dropped in the machine,, a lot of them were well worn but a notable percentage were in fine shape. when asked why they said they were doing as they were told.
That's unfortunate. They could convert to semi and sell them to the public for novelty.

I think this is SOP in government. A LEO patient told me about 2 Harley motorcycles the BPD were using for a childrens fundraiser. After it was done, they had the motorcycles destroyed instead of selling to the public.

That's unfortunate. They could convert to semi and sell them to the public for novelty.

I think this is SOP in government. A LEO patient told me about 2 Harley motorcycles the BPD were using for a childrens fundraiser. After it was done, they had the motorcycles destroyed instead of selling to the public.

The pricks have be able to justify their budgets somehow.

Back
Top Bottom