• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military bulks up to protect against groin injuries

Reptile

NES Member
The U.S. military is working to protect troops against an increasingly common type of injury in Afghanistan: groin wounds.

Four months ago, the Army put in a rush order for $2 million worth of ballistic underwear designed to better protect service members. Recently, the Army again put in a rush order – this time for $19 million for “ballistic groin protection and armored exterior shorts.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...roin-injuries/2011/08/18/gIQAq6ZPOJ_blog.html

------

I can finally get my cod piece.

Group buy?

The U.S. military is working to protect troops against an increasingly common type of injury in Afghanistan: groin wounds.

Four months ago, the Army put in a rush order for $2 million worth of ballistic underwear designed to better protect service members. Recently, the Army again put in a rush order – this time for $19 million for “ballistic groin protection and armored exterior shorts.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...roin-injuries/2011/08/18/gIQAq6ZPOJ_blog.html

------

I can finally get my cod piece.

Group buy?

double entendre?

double entendre?
Hey, this is serial... [laugh]

I wonder if bad guys are learning to shoot low, can't aim or if the injuries to the unprotected areas are just going up in relation to falling numbers in protected areas?

Anyway, nothing to see here... As ballistic protection gets cheaper and lighter expect to see more and more of it. Makes sense...

Hey, this is serial... [laugh]

I wonder if bad guys are learning to shoot low, can't aim or if the injuries to the unprotected areas are just going up in relation to falling numbers in protected areas?

Anyway, nothing to see here... As ballistic protection gets cheaper and lighter expect to see more and more of it. Makes sense...

actually that's exactly what was happening. plenty of them videos around where they were aiming for the chest / head only to have to troop get back up and re-engage.

they started aiming for lower extremities... below the bottom edge of the vest itself. center mass for AK or dragunov is the ball sack to try and would those unprotected areas.

From the article it looks like it's actually to help prevent groin injuries from IEDs. A noble goal, for sure.

Super-Troopers.jpg

the original flap design on the IBA was useless

One of those saved my buddy from grenade shrapnel at about 15 feet....they work as well as anything I've seen and you don't want to patrol for hours in sweltering heat with "ballistic underwear"

All funny till it happens to one of you...... I don't care if they want money to put us in glass bubbles....do you cannot spend enough money to protect us! If you have not been here sit down and shut up asshat's!

easy tuff guy. [thinking]

stay safe

I stand corrected, that stuff like pretty comfortable for the protection it provides
facebook_2142843529.jpg

I thought they would be.more like the shoulder pads they made us field test....those things were overkill and way too uncomfortable to move in

Last edited:
I have to say what concerns me about this is not the purchase of entirely reasonable protection, but the fact that we are still pushing this "hearts and minds" BS and getting out of the perfectly good MWRAP in the first place to walk around trying to win hearts and minds...

The current model of warfare we are using doesn't make any sense to me in a historical or logical context. Unrealistic expectations, poor understanding of human nature, and fanciful goals of changing the way a culture behaves from the outside...

Our leadership and indeed a sizable portion of our population seems to assume that just because we can do some amazing things with weapons that human nature itself as changed.

I have to say what concerns me about this is not the purchase of entirely reasonable protection, but the fact that we are still pushing this "hearts and minds" BS and getting out of the perfectly good MWRAP in the first place to walk around trying to win hearts and minds...

The current model of warfare we are using doesn't make any sense to me in a historical or logical context. Unrealistic expectations, poor understanding of human nature, and fanciful goals of changing the way a culture behaves from the outside...

Our leadership and indeed a sizable portion of our population seems to assume that just because we can do some amazing things with weapons that human nature itself as changed.

it worked in Bosnia and Kosovo!!! [rofl] agreed. we are not an occupational force. so both of these wars have been errs in judgement by the leadership because there was no plan in place "after we won" [thinking]

it worked in Bosnia and Kosovo!!! [rofl] agreed. we are not an occupational force. so both of these wars have been errs in judgement by the leadership because there was no plan in place "after we won" [thinking]
Sadly, I think there was a "plan", but it was ridiculously idealistic and naive.

The only plans that make sense historically are:
1. Level the place and take over.
2. MYOFB.
3. If its just a strong man you don't like, take him out. Repeat as needed until something you can tolerate takes root there.

There's always the carrot AND stick in terms of trade, but internally, you can get rid of key people, but you can't, with a military occupation, convince people to like you. You can break their will and ability to fight, but that's not going to make friends either...

If Canada bombed a few major cities and posted troops in all over the place, do you think I'm going to start liking them because they hand out candy bars?

Sadly, I think there was a "plan", but it was ridiculously idealistic and naive.

The only plans that make sense historically are:
1. Level the place and take over.
2. MYOFB.
3. If its just a strong man you don't like, take him out. Repeat as needed until something you can tolerate takes root there.

There's always the carrot AND stick in terms of trade, but internally, you can get rid of key people, but you can't, with a military occupation, convince people to like you. You can break their will and ability to fight, but that's not going to make friends either...

If Canada bombed a few major cities and posted troops in all over the place, do you think I'm going to start liking them because they hand out candy bars?

if they hand out candy bars, then i woul like them.

(Just kidding)

Wolf you are just the sort of asshat I'm talking about.....you need to get over being bitter! If your issue is leadership fine...We are talking about saving souls so what ever it takes what ever expense....as for the tuff guy comment consider us even!

i'm bitter? [laugh] go back and read my post.

[rolleyes] high strung, you are...

This is retarded, just like the IBA groin protectors, the DAPs, and all the other stuff that turns you into an overburdened, overheated and immobile target. If all you do is drive around in an MRAP then maybe it's fine, but if you are doing dismounted patrols for any period of time you won't be wearing these. There's a reason we went to plate carriers in Afghanistan, because the weight/protection tradeoff got completely skewed from mounted operations in Iraq. And contrary to some people's opinion above, dismounted operations are necessary, not for hearts and minds but to kill bad guys.

And contrary to some people's opinion above, dismounted operations are necessary, not for hearts and minds but to kill bad guys.
My opinion on hearts and minds was not intended to suggest that I think wars can be fought from inside an MWRAP, more an issue with the whole idea of asking our military to "nation build" which involves a lot of walking around exposed to IEDs more than they would be otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom