Military Budget Cuts

dustoff22

NES Member
From Blackfive.net.

MILITARY BUDGET CUTS
POSTED BY UNCLE JIMBO
So we are going to see deep and sweeping cuts in the military budget eh?

Defense Secretary Robert Gates declared Monday that he plans to kill the Pentagon's U.S. Joint Forces Command (JFCOM) — a high-tech training operation in Norfolk, Va., that employs more contractors than troops. It's a key step in weaning the U.S. military off the post-9/11 defense-spending binge, and it will be only the first in a string of tough cuts to come. The announcement marked the first time in recent memory that a Defense Secretary has called for scrapping one of the major commands — institutions with all the defenses of any medieval moated castle.

Gee, got an axe to grind there TIME" journalist"? Leaving aside the ridiculous slant of this piece, does it strike anyone else as odd that while the government is spending like a drunken sailor to create or save non-existent jobs and explode the size of government exponentially, that it is just fine to cut real jobs in the one industry that keeps us all safe? Huh, kinda weird.

No it's not, it fits right in with the Obama team's allies and priorities. Cut the troops and shovel money at government unions. I'm not saying that his idea to cut top level execs at the Pentagon and some of the fat ass flag officers is a bad idea. We have way too many who just shuffle powerpoints around. But where in the hell are the same cuts at every other government agency? When I see them cutting useless bureaucrats at the Department of Education, or better yet shutting it down, I will listen to them. The left has always hated every dime they are forced to spend on the military and now they are going to do their best to stop. Those are jobs they are purposely killing so they can give the money to their political supporters. Hypocritical bastards!

So, they are going to stop spending money on contractors and get back to using MILITARY people to do the work.. what a brilliant Idea. Its about time they used the military for their intended goals. The money our govt spends on contractors to do jobs that military people are TRAINED and EQUIPPED to do is staggering. Seen it first hand all year long. The only contractor I could even begin to see making sense, the laundry ladies... ":eek:)

So, they are going to stop spending money on contractors and get back to using MILITARY people to do the work.. what a brilliant Idea. Its about time they used the military for their intended goals. The money our govt spends on contractors to do jobs that military people are TRAINED and EQUIPPED to do is staggering. Seen it first hand all year long. The only contractor I could even begin to see making sense, the laundry ladies... ":eek:)

[laugh] tell me more about these "laundry ladies" -we washed our clothes by hand!!!! [wink]

anywho, i'd love to see more uniforms as well, but the fact is.... it's cheaper to hire a contractor to pump fuel vs. sending a soldier through BCT and AIT and deploy them.... that contractor might pull $100k / year (est), but a troop cost more when you factor the pay, allowances and benefits (i.e. BAH w / dependents, danger pay ect)

anti-military sentiment typically comes from 'i don't think killing is good, so it must be unnecessary in the natural order of things. we should stop paying people to kill.'
i find it amusing that having the luxury of that attitude is predicated on having a military to protect you in the first place.

that, and i never saw a fuel pumping contractor that was american, i'm assuming they aren't getting the same level of pay as the 'blackwater's gonna eat your baby' contractors that make the news.

Back
Top Bottom