• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Milford schools getting it right

This is an important thing.

One of the major revelations that people I have taken shooting have gotten - especially women - is that it's not "easy" to hit a target.

Actually taking somebody shooting gives them real life experience about how one might defend one's self.

After the Sandy Hook incident - the wife and I had dinner with friends. The wife in the other couple is now a teacher. She was actually amazed and a little bit scared - that the response of the school she was in was to just huddle everybody together and essentially wait to die.

My response was: Run GODDAMIT - run and throw things and smash out windows and jump out. Cause CHAOS for the shooter.

If an entire classroom of kids - or the entire school for that matter - just suddenly went Crazy Ivan - I would be willing to bet that the death toll in these shootings would have been substantially lower.

Instead the "official" response typically seems to be to just wait like sheep to die.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd feel a lot more empowered in such a situation if I had a gun in my hand...

First steps first. The first step is to at least get the people to realize that the absolute worst response is to just huddle up and wait to die.

It's just stupid.

if I had a kid in school I would tell them if shit goes down you run and dont look back.

what the hell would you want to sit still and wait for a shooter for?

I understand you dont want to run into a hallway if thats where the shooter is but I'd be damned if I just sit and wait for them. If the room was a secure space maybe thats a different story but to my knowledge they never are

“If you’re trapped in a room with the bad guy coming through, you need to figure out what to break off a table to use as a weapon,” Tremblay said. “We’re going to teach them how to fight for their lives.

They're somewhat on the right track here. At least they've reached the point where they realize they need a weapon. Teaching them to fight for their lives with a table leg vs. a firearm is a little bit questionable 'though.

“If you’re trapped in a room with the bad guy coming through, you need to figure out what to break off a table to use as a weapon,” Tremblay said. “We’re going to teach them how to fight for their lives.

They're somewhat on the right track here. At least they've reached the point where they realize they need a weapon. Teaching them to fight for their lives with a table leg vs. a firearm is a little bit questionable 'though.
Understandable, but if its all you've got, it's better than being told to huddle in a corner and wait. Even if they ever do allow teachers to carry at school, not all will (or will be able to).

Don't most classrooms have windows in them to make sure no one has your kids behind closed doors blocked away from view? I don't think there is anything close to a "secure classroom" in most schools.

Agreed. If they begin to realize that a weapon is needed then it shouldn't take long to decide that having the proper tool is the best course of action. Over the last few weeks; It amazes me that some of these schools haven't at least give the teachers some pepper spray.
I hate to say this but I think there needs to be an incident that clearly shows a teacher or administrator stopping an attack. And it has to be posted to youtube or something like that so the media can't ignore it.

This is an important thing.

One of the major revelations that people I have taken shooting have gotten - especially women - is that it's not "easy" to hit a target.

Actually taking somebody shooting gives them real life experience about how one might defend one's self.

After the Sandy Hook incident - the wife and I had dinner with friends. The wife in the other couple is now a teacher. She was actually amazed and a little bit scared - that the response of the school she was in was to just huddle everybody together and essentially wait to die.

My response was: Run GODDAMIT - run and throw things and smash out windows and jump out. Cause CHAOS for the shooter.

If an entire classroom of kids - or the entire school for that matter - just suddenly went Crazy Ivan - I would be willing to bet that the death toll in these shootings would have been substantially lower.

Instead the "official" response typically seems to be to just wait like sheep to die.

- - - Updated - - -

First steps first. The first step is to at least get the people to realize that the absolute worst response is to just huddle up and wait to die.

It's just stupid.

Great points.

Agreed. If they begin to realize that a weapon is needed then it shouldn't take long to decide that having the proper tool is the best course of action. Over the last few weeks; It amazes me that some of these schools haven't at least give the teachers some pepper spray.
I hate to say this but I think there needs to be an incident that clearly shows a teacher or administrator stopping an attack. And it has to be posted to youtube or something like that so the media can't ignore it.

Here is one example: Chicago News Bench: How an Armed Assistant Principal Stopped a School Shooter

Don't most classrooms have windows in them to make sure no one has your kids behind closed doors blocked away from view? I don't think there is anything close to a "secure classroom" in most schools.

Yes. And in my school, until VERY recently, the fire chief has prevented those windows from being obscured. A couple weeks ago the police chief came in and told us differently, but the fire chief wasn't there at the time. We all blocked off our windows... until the FD comes through for an inspection. Then I'm sure we'll all be told to take them down.

Dueling bureacrats.

I just came on to post this. I know it's not the response I would like to see, but it's a step in the right direction. At least they didn't go and traumatize all the kids in the training!

"Study your surroundings for a possible weapon."

As opposed to say, having a firearm on your belt or in your purse. So, are the teachers supposed to run and leave the kids on their own?

[video=youtube_share;KAp9sFVdERQ]http://youtu.be/KAp9sFVdERQ[/video]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom