Mike de bethencourt

I took a couple folding knife seminars with him at GOAL, and did some private retention training - two thumbs up on both accounts.

Just bought my first snubby, and I've been meaning to check to see when his next class is scheduled.

Michael is a great teacher and a bit of a comic. I have taken his snubby class, folding knife, firearms retention and kubotan class. He is unique to say the least. He definitely knows his stuff. Some of his snubby teaching is considered a bit controversial and unorthodox, but then I guess that everything he teaches can fall into those categories (LOL). I would highly recommend any of his classes. By the way if you take a class with him you will find out that he does not answer to Mike. He prefers Michael or Bobo or TAFKA Bobo.

I would also add that his knowledge of combative methods is extensive. In my opinion he has distilled a lifetime of martial studies into a handful of techniques that can be taught in a short amount of time to sometimes less then motivated individuals and that will work. In fact anything that he teaches he will invite you to thwart. If something does not work he truly does want to know and if you know something better and can prove it then he wants to know that also. I do not think that there is much higher praise for a trainer or teacher then that.

Last edited:
I would also add that his knowledge of combative methods is extensive. In my opinion he has distilled a lifetime of martial studies into a handful of techniques that can be taught in a short amount of time to sometimes less then motivated individuals and that will work.

That's what I like the most about his classes - he teaches a "one button" approach that makes it very easy for someone to learn and retain very quickly. I found the technique very effective.

As a former co-worker of Mike's I can say he knows his stuff.

Anyone who takes one of his classes will walk away with a feeling of money well spent.

Another +1 for Michael - took his folding knife, firearms retention and snubby class. All well-taught and the instruction sinks in. A little quirky, yes, but he get's the job done.

Recommended!

Recommend His Snubbie Class

+1 On the Snubbie Course(s). Took'em .. very glad I did..money well spent.
Like his teaching style..Plan on taking the other courses he teaches at some time in the future.

Mike really is a great guy and has a heart of gold. He has been a long time student of mine and I on the other hand have learned quite a bit from him. I posted this because I didn’t know if you guys were familiar with him… Thanks

I took the kubaton class at GOAL with him and definetly recommend him.

Last edited:
Michael does a great job. Here's an article that I did on his snubby class http://www.armedresponsetraining.com/articles/snubby.pdf

If you could excuse a slight thread drift: I read David's article with interest as I discovered I was not alone using the 'weak hand' revolver reload. I started my competition shooting 'career' with PPC and revolvers. Because I had no prejudice (or experience for that matter) it seemed to me that loading with the week hand was simpler, thus faster. Speed reloading wasn't a huge deal in PPC but there were times when an expeditious reload was required. When I started shooting plates the economy and speed of this technique really showed its value. When I started playing the action pistol game I sold my competion revolvers and transitioned to autos, but from time to time I practice reloading my J-frame with speed loaders - weak hand.

The weak hand method makes sense as there is less movements, however, you have to be somewhat ambidextrous to do it easily. It also helps if you learn it that way from the beginning.

Michael is a great teacher and a bit of a comic. I have taken his snubby class, folding knife, firearms retention and kubotan class. He is unique to say the least. He definitely knows his stuff. Some of his snubby teaching is considered a bit controversial and unorthodox, but then I guess that everything he teaches can fall into those categories (LOL). I would highly recommend any of his classes. By the way if you take a class with him you will find out that he does not answer to Mike. He prefers Michael or Bobo or TAFKA Bobo.

I would also add that his knowledge of combative methods is extensive. In my opinion he has distilled a lifetime of martial studies into a handful of techniques that can be taught in a short amount of time to sometimes less then motivated individuals and that will work. In fact anything that he teaches he will invite you to thwart. If something does not work he truly does want to know and if you know something better and can prove it then he wants to know that also. I do not think that there is much higher praise for a trainer or teacher then that.

He may answer to "Mike" but you"ll have to play with Bobo. Trust me, you don't want to play with Bobo.

I took a course from Bobo at GOAL last year. I told him I thought it was great. He told me that was because I was stupid and didn't know what a good course should be. LOL [laugh] He's a funny guy. I'm waiting to take his program.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom