Might be moving to North Carolina

I may be moving to North Carolina. I have a Mass class A unrestricted license and my Utah nonresident license. I Just have a couple of questions.

1. Once I leave Mass and go to N.C. Can I still take my guns since I have my Utah nonresident which will have a change of address on it un til i get my N.C. license?
2. Is N.C. considered a gun friendly state?

Almost certain NC now has full reciprocity for all states licenses, and theyre certainly more gun friendly than MA. Ive been a few times and have nothing but nice things to say about the state, though I am not that informed on their laws.

Shall issue CCW, honors CCW from other states, but - like many states that are "shall issue", has a much longer list of "permit not valid" locations than MA. In NC this include financial institutions, any place that is licensed to sell alcohol for on premises consumption and any place where admission is charged - plus they have binding signage. Not exactly a pro gun rights mecca.

I may be moving to North Carolina. I have a Mass class A unrestricted license and my Utah nonresident license. I Just have a couple of questions.

1. Once I leave Mass and go to N.C. Can I still take my guns since I have my Utah nonresident which will have a change of address on it un til i get my N.C. license?
2. Is N.C. considered a gun friendly state?
NC does not require any license to OWN firearms. In most of the USA a license to carry concealed is precisely that. Don't be MA brainwashed.

http://www.ncrpa.org/ncgunfaq.htm

ETA: Question 2: No, NC is not all that gun friendly law-wise compared to 'free states.' Culture-wise it is.
More info (though the NCRPA is a good source too):
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/north-carolina.aspx

Last edited:
Note that, for the most part, a resident of State A may not use a non-resident license from State B to carry in his home state of State A.

So as soon as you become a North Carolina resident, you have to get a North Carolina license.

In addition to having a lot of places that are off limits to carry, I believe NC also has a law than prevents you from carrying legally during a state of emergency. This has been a hot topic for gun owners in NC as well as the NRA to get rid of this law.

My bother, a gun owner, lives outside of Charlotte. While NC isn't perfect with regards to guns, it sure beats MA. as far as I know you don't need a license to own a gun, buy a gun or even open-carry a gun. You do need a license to carry concealed. In general the culture is much more "normal" about guns.

My bother, a gun owner, lives outside of Charlotte. While NC isn't perfect with regards to guns, it sure beats MA. as far as I know you don't need a license to own a gun, buy a gun or even open-carry a gun. You do need a license to carry concealed. In general the culture is much more "normal" about guns.

It is my understanding that in order to buy a handgun in NC, you have to go to your Sheriff's office and get a pistol purchase permit.

Back
Top Bottom