• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Midway is Down the Toilet

As I live in RI, I can buy bullets through the mail. Midway USA is running a free shipping event for Labor Day. So I put a bunch of Berry's bullets in my cart, only to find out they are too "heavy" for free shipping. Midway charges $67 for 250 .45. If I buy two boxes, they hit me with $22 shipping. That's $155. If I buy straight from Berry, shipping is free and cost is $150. It's $13 for Midway to send USPS flat it they wanted to. And who knows, I might buy more stuff if I could buy what I wanted with free shipping. What a bunch of crooks. And never mind finding anything at stock at Midway. Ever. I've wasted my time there for the last time. I'll just send my money straight to the distributor. Clearly they have no need for the business of Midway and Harry Potter.

I stopped buying from Midway a decade ago when they ended their free shipping policy, but I admit I was buying bulk bullets from them before that.

The Potterfields, owners of Midway USA, have donated 10's of millions of dollars to youth shooting sports teams. My little trap team out of Fin Fur and Feather has an endowment from their foundation of over $200K of which we can withdraw 3-5 percent per year. The Midway Foundation has given over $8 million this year alone.

Homepage - MidwayUSA Foundation

I have met Larry and his wife (he asked me to use his first name) at the Scholastic Shooting Sports Clay championship and he is one down to earth guy. I called in an order to Midway USA last summer and Larry answered the damn phone for my $20 order! What millionaire takes phone orders on a Saturday during the summer? They are evidently a good employer as well with full benefits, matching 401K and profit sharing.

You are free to do business with whoever you choose, but the Potterfield's and Midway USA are tops in my book

The Potterfields, owners of Midway USA, have donated 10's of millions of dollars to youth shooting sports teams. My little trap team out of Fin Fur and Feather has an endowment from their foundation of over $200K of which we can withdraw 3-5 percent per year. The Midway Foundation has given over $8 million this year alone.

Homepage - MidwayUSA Foundation

I have met Larry and his wife (he asked me to use his first name) at the Scholastic Shooting Sports Clay championship and he is one down to earth guy. I called in an order to Midway USA last summer and Larry answered the damn phone for my $20 order! What millionaire takes phone orders on a Saturday during the summer? They are evidently a good employer as well with full benefits, matching 401K and profit sharing.

You are free to do business with whoever you choose, but the Potterfield's and Midway USA are tops in my book

This. I shop at both Midway and Brownells and have had great service from both. Sometimes one of them will have a higher delivered price for the same thing, which will prompt me to go to the other and forget about it. How does a $5 difference between Midway and Berry's make Midway a bunch of crooks?

Midway is my first stop if I’m looking for a particular item. I also like the NRA round up option they have.

I love Larry's gunsmithing videos on YouTube. I've spent some quality time with a glass of bourbon, a cigar, and a bunch of Larry's videos. Seems like a very likable guy.

"I can get it cheaper direct," doesn't make a retailer a crook even if the "issue" is shipping charges. Shop around but don't declare a place "crooks" for having shipping charges you don't like. It's not like they charged your card more than quoted. Midway's customer service is tops and the people behind the company are, too.

What a bunch of crooks.
in all fairness...they do say up front what they excluded from their free labor day shipping promo. i'm guessing your bullets weighed more than 10 lbs.

below is from their website:

"What Products are Excluded?

Out of stock products, products with quantity limits, Guns, Large/Irregular products, Extra-Large/Irregular products, products weighing more than 10 lbs, products that ship separately from the manufacturer or products that ship separately from MidwayUSA are excluded."

As I live in RI, I can buy bullets through the mail. Midway USA is running a free shipping event for Labor Day. So I put a bunch of Berry's bullets in my cart, only to find out they are too "heavy" for free shipping. Midway charges $67 for 250 .45. If I buy two boxes, they hit me with $22 shipping. That's $155. If I buy straight from Berry, shipping is free and cost is $150. It's $13 for Midway to send USPS flat it they wanted to. And who knows, I might buy more stuff if I could buy what I wanted with free shipping. What a bunch of crooks. And never mind finding anything at stock at Midway. Ever. I've wasted my time there for the last time. I'll just send my money straight to the distributor. Clearly they have no need for the business of Midway and Harry Potter.

Rant 1/10. They are pretty clear on what the rules are for free shipping, what is covered and what is not.

"Hi im larry potterfied, please buy my chinese range bag that we ripped off the design from an American company. ours is cheaper, and i know you're a f***ing skinflint and will buy it."

Midways shipping now is much better than it used to be. Both price and speed had improved as there packing < most of the time.
Like anything else you need to shop around and get the best deals. I have not seen any “deals” on bullets at midway to bother with. Free shipping or not. Although I like to buy bulk so it lasts a few years. Late 2017 I topped off my bullet inventory 7000 bullets free shipping and on sale saved about 30% over regular price.

At least the tell you up front no free shipping for heavy items

"Hi im larry potterfied, please buy my chinese range bag that we ripped off the design from an American company. ours is cheaper, and i know you're a f***ing skinflint and will buy it."
Can’t be any worse than those chincy range bags ,the the zipper breaks after 3 pulls ,

That the nra gives out. [laugh]

OMG the horror.. I’m still waiting for some decent HSGI taco knockoffs because my mall ninja budget cannot justify a several hundred dollar battle belt.

Let’s start a ledger keeping track of everything NES hates:
- Midway due to less than favourable shipping terms.

- Chicks in men’s bathrooms

- Dicks

- People returning wallets to their owners since they speak Spanish and are of questionable citizenship (maybe?)

Feel free to add to the list since I missed a million.

- Dicks

- People returning wallets to their owners since they speak Spanish and are of questionable citizenship (maybe?)

Snow tires
Cyclists

- Dicks

- Dicks on chicks
- Medical insurance that doesn't pay for snake bites
- Fat people (sort of goes with cyclists)

Can’t be any worse than those chincy range bags ,the the zipper breaks after 3 pulls ,

That the nra gives out. [laugh]
Hey gou know what about 8 years ago the NRA sent me a cheap china made NRA bag by mistake. Surprisingly its still in one piece.
Items from midway i feel are not worth buying.
Shooting mats ....you know the ones.
Factory 2nd shootNc
Wife has bought me some of their branded cloths and they where short lived.
+ side
I have had ammo shipped for free
The surplus bayonet deals lately have been good.
Good deals on clearance pages, bullet molds and such.

I just got some handgun bullets and sabots to use in the muzzleloader, also some Barnes and Hornady "muzzleloader" bullets . They were cheaper than a number of other places I checked. Even with the shipping. And they had items I wanted in stock while others were out... I've got no beef with them. Sometimes they have the best deal. Sometimes they don't.

Hey gou know what about 8 years ago the NRA sent me a cheap china made NRA bag by mistake. Surprisingly its still in one piece.
Items from midway i feel are not worth buying.
Shooting mats ....you know the ones.
Factory 2nd shootNc
Wife has bought me some of their branded cloths and they where short lived.
+ side
I have had ammo shipped for free
The surplus bayonet deals lately have been good.
Good deals on clearance pages, bullet molds and such.
So you’re the guy that got the good one!

Ya midway doesn’t make the stuff, so you have to look into the quality of the brand before you buy.

The Chinese knock off A.R front sight tools , I’ve had the little tips break off on the first use , twice.
F09D49BE-7611-4218-B958-331C9F9DE21B.jpeg

Attachments

• F3196FCF-0985-4EE6-A0B7-0A02986B2B98.jpeg
    F3196FCF-0985-4EE6-A0B7-0A02986B2B98.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 14
Or try this one: "Hi, I'm Larry Potterfield, please buy my high Quality IMI 62 gr green tip ammo for .24/round, get free shipping and keep the hobby and gun culture alive". I bought 450 greenies for $115, end price. Let me know when and if you find a better deal that isn't steel cased Tula 55gr crapola.

Pretty poor rant. You found it cheaper, good job.

Personally I have no problem with Midway. I have a $75 7.5" .223 wild barrel from them that shoots pretty goddamn good. I got a 1" group at 50 yards with shitty bulk .223 when I was expecting minute-of-barn accuracy. Cheap and CQB was it's purpose, so accuracy at distance was just a nice surprise.

If you buy their branded product, you should know that you're getting what you pay for, but occasionally they will surprise you.

Rant 1/10. They are pretty clear on what the rules are for free shipping, what is covered and what is not.

Well it was pretty clear when I got to the checkout, that's for sure. I generally avoid them because they are always out of stock and prices are higher than most everywhere else. But free shipping is free shipping. To start slapping on exceptions is a con. I think my last order from them was 3 years ago? I won't miss their nonsense. Geissele Supra trigger for the Tavor is $280 today. Everywhere. It's $315 at Midway! It's just a pointless exercise to even bother going there.

Back
Top Bottom