Midway is Down the Toilet

I don't hate Midway, and I think Larry is a decent guy from his sponsorships and TV ads on the Outdoor channels. My only real gripe with them is what they did to Reinhart-Fajen.

Those of you who hate midway should take opticsplanet for a testdrive
Ive never had an issue with optics planet. I know they are on the official NES banned list (don’t recall why) but I’ve ordered at least 3 red dots from them at better prices than anywhere else and pretty quick shipping if I recall.

no sympathy here, sorry. and i'm not gonna put midway on the official boycott list, ya gotta do better than that pissy rant. no disrespect intended. :)

Those of you who hate midway should take opticsplanet for a testdrive
you know, i'm aware of their reputation but needed to use them twice for something and had good experiences, which did surprise me at the time I remember. isn't one of their issues when they don't have an ordered item in stock they leave you hanging with no explanation and no opportunity to cancel? answering the customer service line was spotty also iirc. but yeah, they dug themselves into a deep hole and rightly so.

Earlier this summer I ordered a scope from optics planet. Part of the appeal was the $40 gift code that came with it. So I placed the order for the scope and then the next day used the code to order a mount and charging handle. The scope came promptly, in under a week. Never heard anything about the mount for a month until they emailed me that they couldn’t charge my card. Called customer service and couldn’t reach a person, so I left a message. Tried that like 3 times. Two days later someone called me back. Apparently the item I ordered was not in stock (even though the website said it was) and it had taken them so long to process my order that the bank had cancelled the payment. After that it took another week to get that package. All told it was almost 7 weeks to get those items.

Earlier this summer I ordered a scope from optics planet. Part of the appeal was the $40 gift code that came with it. So I placed the order for the scope and then the next day used the code to order a mount and charging handle. The scope came promptly, in under a week. Never heard anything about the mount for a month until they emailed me that they couldn’t charge my card. Called customer service and couldn’t reach a person, so I left a message. Tried that like 3 times. Two days later someone called me back. Apparently the item I ordered was not in stock (even though the website said it was) and it had taken them so long to process my order that the bank had cancelled the payment. After that it took another week to get that package. All told it was almost 7 weeks to get those items.
This is classic optics planet. Everything is in stock on the website. Few items are in stock in reality. I am at 100% miss rate. I only have tried when I could not find something available somewhere else. OP of course said they had it so I ordered. I always end up canceling a couple days later when they admit they don’t have it.

Let’s start a ledger keeping track of everything NES hates:
- Midway due to less than favourable shipping terms.

- Chicks in men’s bathrooms

- Dicks

- People returning wallets to their owners since they speak Spanish and are of questionable citizenship (maybe?)

Feel free to add to the list since I missed a million.

Catholics

I use midway all the time, I will give you that their own branded products are not great quality, and I usually avoid them. But they have great deals on other brands of products. They ship quickly, I've never thought that shipping price was out of line for the stuff I've purchased. So far with the times I have used them I have never been dissatisfied with their products or service. I usually check their website for what I am looking for first, if they don't have it then I look elsewhere.

Talk about skin flint, $5 is ripping someone off?

I guess you didn't bother to read any of the intervening discussion and missed the point where I mentioned that even Geissele was selling there Tavor Surpa trigger for $280 (as was Primary and PSA and EVERYONE) but Midway has it jacked up to $315. That's a $35 ripoff.

Midway has had fans and detractors for decades. But they are reliable, which is more than can be said about some places I've seen in the past (Bro-tech Testicles).

Midway rarely has good deals on bullets. Most other online reloading vendors have better pricing it seems.

I guess you didn't bother to read any of the intervening discussion and missed the point where I mentioned that even Geissele was selling there Tavor Surpa trigger for $280 (as was Primary and PSA and EVERYONE) but Midway has it jacked up to $315. That's a $35 ripoff.

A sub and a drink costs $12, welcome to the future. $35 is far from a rip-off but to each his own, rant away!

Ive never had an issue with optics planet. I know they are on the official NES banned list (don’t recall why) but I’ve ordered at least 3 red dots from them at better prices than anywhere else and pretty quick shipping if I recall.

I do have a problem with those guys. Fox example, they never indicate that the items are on the back order, and then may tell later: "Ooops, backordered, will send whenever we get it, maybe a couple of months later". When I tried to cancel the order they refused. Anyway, it was an endeavor. I strongly do not recommend doing business with them.

Or try this one: "Hi, I'm Larry Potterfield, please buy my high Quality IMI 62 gr green tip ammo for .24/round, get free shipping and keep the hobby and gun culture alive". I bought 450 greenies for $115, end price. Let me know when and if you find a better deal that isn't steel cased Tula 55gr crapola.

I won't dispute you got a great deal, but that wasn't really the point of my post. My point was that the much vaunted Midway is sometimes overrated.

It's like when people come here waxing about PSA deals, buy if you want, but wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. I can't say midway is THAT bad though, all things considered. They carry some esoteric stuff like brownells does that pretty much nobody else sells because its not profitable enough or whatever. So at least they have value in that sense.

-Mike

"Hi im larry potterfied, please buy my chinese range bag that we ripped off the design from an American company. ours is cheaper, and i know you're a f***ing skinflint and will buy it."
Why do I need an expensive range bag that costs twice as much? In fact, why do I need a range bag? Plastic shopping bags are free...

I don't like Midway's deep ties with the NRA, they are the largest donor to the NRA I believe all thanks to that NRA round up crap.

I buy through Midway for a few reasons, usually they have what I want, it's very rare they don't have something I want. Their prices are good, the shipping is decent when you qualify for free shipping, and when they have sales on bullets, they're not a bad price at all. 5 cents for a .32 ACP FMJ and add the price of the primer and a pinch of powder and you're at the same price as premium .22 LR ammo, but it hits a lot harder.

I'm good with Midway, when I buy something that I hate or it just plain sucks, they take it back, no problem and they give a pretty good birthday discount which if anyone else does, I haven't come across it.

I can't say midway is THAT bad though, all things considered. They carry some esoteric stuff like brownells does that pretty much nobody else sells because its not profitable enough or whatever. So at least they have value in that sense.

I placed my very first Midway order last Wednesday. (Broken rebound spring on a Ruger target pistol).

Was supposed to arrive today.
Arrived yesterday. (With an EMail warning, mind you).

Decided to order (at least) one of every spring and plunger in the gun, but except for a couple of come-on items, Ruger Online doesn't let you order repair parts without interfacing with a human. I'm sure it sucks to have dweebs order the wrong frob and have to do an exchange, but that's Ruger's problem; life's too short for that. I have to wonder if Volquartsen/Tandemkross have a plant in Ruger's marketing department, because Ruger couldn't have left my money on the table more effectively if they'd tried.

Midway's everyday "some items ship free" didn't apply to nearly enough of the items I wanted for me to reach the $50 limit. Not even when I threw in a TQ adjustable trigger.

(In the case of selling springs dwarfed by the one in a ball-point pen, not having them all "ship free" is pretty stupid, because they could throw the entire set in between two pieces of cardboard in a first-class envelope and get'er done for, well what do postage stamps cost this month anyhow?).

So I also threw in a pair of 5.11 Tacticool pants in a color I didn't have yet,
which qualified the whole shooting match for free shipping.

Same price as NH,
and I didn't even have to show my Mass. LTC.

Just the hang-tags on the pants probably bulked larger than the springs' packaging.

But I got some pants.
Which is nice.
Besides, some NESers place a premium on pants.

Back
Top Bottom