• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Middlesex Sheriff commits suicide

Rumors on the internet have it sheriff James DiPaola commits suicide in Maine. This comes one week after FOX Undercover aired the story of him pocketing campaign cash and using employees from the office as a taxi service after begin to intoxicated to drive himself.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...eriff-james-dipaola-commits-suicide-in-maine/

WELLS, Maine -- Middlesex County Sheriff James DiPaola has committed suicide in Maine, according to police.

DiPaola was found dead of a single gunshot wound around 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

DiPaola, who served as sheriff of Middlesex County for the past 14 years, recently announced he would resign after having second thoughts about receiving his pension while still in office.

Looks to be a fact at this point, no rumor.

Jesus. Life is better than that no matter the legal circumstances. I feel for his family.

Not sure if Howie Carr helped the matter.

I never met him, but from what I hear he was a "good shit" and that's good enough for me. Rest in piece, Jimmy.

It is always sad to hear about a suicide as you know the person has a family somewhere.

I have a feeling that he had some drug issues that caused the money problems and he could not bear to live or face his family with the things he has done.

When you are an elected official, your conduct must be beyond reproach and avoid anything even remotely resembling impropriety.

Otherwise the heat will come hard and fast.

I have a feeling that he had some drug issues that caused the money problems

Everything I've heard from people who would know says your "feeling" is way off base and just plain wrong. Specifically: there were no money problems (quite the contrary from what I've heard) and he was simply not the kind of guy who would be into drugs. Basically he was a good guy who's whole life was his job, and when that went away he felt lost.

[thinking] Sheriff = Politician

Come on, a real "politician" the way we think of one would never be satisfied with being a lowly Sheriff for 14 years. A politician would use the office as a stepping stone, this guy clearly didn't think that way.

When you are an elected official, your conduct must be beyond reproach and avoid anything even remotely resembling impropriety.

Otherwise the heat will come hard and fast.

Not in Massachusetts, at least not for the next four years anyway because Croakley got re-elected as AG. The criminal politicians will go on doing what they do best, unless those pesky feds decide to take a swipe at them like they did Wilkerson and Turner.

Bingo

While I am truly sorry for his innocent family and friends, at least this guy did the right thing.

It's impossible to even count the number of corrupt MA pols who are radio talk show hosts, presidents of universities and multi-millionaires who are still out there with the public and media fawning at their black feet.

Too bad more of them didn't have the courage he did.

Everything I've heard from people who would know says your "feeling" is way off base and just plain wrong. Specifically: there were no money problems (quite the contrary from what I've heard) and he was simply not the kind of guy who would be into drugs. Basically he was a good guy who's whole life was his job, and when that went away he felt lost.

Plenty of politicians lead double lives and their closest confidants never even know. It's a feeling and it can be off base and wrong in your opinion. It's my feeling and I am sticking to it.
Why else do you pocket campaign cash and exploit loopholes for more cash? You need the money for something......

He tried to hatch a scheme, got caught at it, decided to retire instead, Feds announced probe of his office for political donation misappropriations...couldn't handle the heat, he took the cowards way out.

I feel for his family.

Plenty of politicians lead double lives and their closest confidants never even know. It's a feeling and it can be off base and wrong in your opinion. It's my feeling and I am sticking to it.
Why else do you pocket campaign cash and exploit loopholes for more cash? You need the money for something......

In MA there are lots of pols and other government hacks who are unrepentant thieves.

There was Buonomo robbing copy machines. Then there was a whole family out in western MA robbing laundry machines from housing projects (forget the name, but it began with an A, 2 or 3 corrupt people in that family of hacks). Then there were the tolltakers skimming tolls, etc.... I could go on and on. I'm sure "drugs" is a possible motive, but frankly some people are just thieves, especially anyone connected to MA government.

If I was going to make a WAG at the motives, my guess is there's enough evidence floating around to bury the guy and send him to federal prison, and considering that he's not high enough up on the hack food chain, like a Finneran or a DiMasi, he won't get to skate with no prison time, or even disregarding that, didn't want to bring disgrace to his family.

It's too bad his family will have to "pay" for this more than he ever will. I feel bad for them more than anything else.

-Mike

Last edited:

Technically, that's true, since the High Sheriff is an elected position.

That said, I did a number of projects for Jim, and unlike other politicians with whom I have worked, he listened, was easily willing to admit what he didn't know, and was generally appreciative of advice and service rendered. I came to like him, and I don't usually take to "politicians."

While I'm not an expert on how to run a Sheriff's office in Massachusetts, my sense of things based on my opportunities to observe and talk with some of the troops is that Middlesex was run far better than others.

I was very surprised at the allegations and am stunned at this news. I intend to withhold judgment for the time being.

While technically so, the ones I have known in the counties I have lived in had no more ambition than to be true servants of the people and do their duty in nothing more than an honorable and constitutional way.

Like this guy:

jones200.jpg

Who the hell cares?

Tell me about a Veteran coming home and committing suicide... then I might care.........

But seriously folks.....who cares!

Back
Top Bottom