• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mid 20th Century High Speed Gear

My Grandfather, like many, answered his country's call during WWII. He passed away in the late 80s. At that time I didn't have the smarts or understanding of life to ask respectful questions, I was just too young. I was more interested in spending time with him tooling around on the tractor, haying the fields and feeding the cows. Unfortunately, he didn't talk much about his experiences. He sold the majority of his stuff when he came home. There is no uniform, no medals, no records. The only information I have is through second hand stories.

When my dad was heading off to Vietnam, my grandfather sat him down and talked. I never had the guts to ask my dad what he told him. I don't know why. I don't know if its because my dad never volunteered the information when we started finding his old things or that I am afraid of what I will hear, as odd as that sounds.

Either way, I will always remember him as the modest, hard working grandpa that would drop everything when I visited so I could just take a ride on a tractor.

Anyway, on to the reason I am posting. I found a box with some of the stuff he did keep. I found these field glasses and thought it would be cool to share. I have no idea where these came from. It was just in a box with some various other WWII era things (I may take pictures of those too.)

2012-06-27_21-19-24_710.jpg

The buckle on the leather case is broken off. There is a belt loop on the back side that also has a lot of wear at the top. The case is missing its carry strap. Other than that, the leather and lining is in pretty decent shape. The binocular's leather sling is in pretty good shape.

2012-06-27_21-19-59_218.jpg

There is wear on the front as well as some oxidation. The Bakelite? on the barrel is very brittle.

2012-06-27_21-22-01_434.jpg

The eyepiece assembles are in decent shape. The turn easily and focus individually well. The left side has a little haze.

2012-06-27_21-21-01_384.jpg

Manufactures markings are still pretty clear. Small chip in the eyepiece.

2012-06-27_21-20-38_117.jpg

Serial Number, H/6400 and 6x30 Markings

Did your grandfather serve in the Navy? I have a pair of binoculars very similar to these that my paternal grandfather gave to me. I will have to dig them out to compare to yours. He also passed in the late 80's when I was just a little kid and I don't know much about his time in the Navy. All I know is that he served on the USS Randolph manning an Oerlikon AA gun in the Pacific during WW2. I assume the binoculars are from the Randolph but it may have been something he picked up post war. I can relate to what you said, thanks for sharing.

My guess is that he took them off of a German officer.

After a little research online, I think that is the case. It would make sense that it may be from the same German Officer he took a handgun from.

The factory which made the Leitz Dienstglas is shy of 20 miles to the West from here.
Leica is one of their successors Leitz Camera.
H/6400 seems to describe the type/model, as it is found on binos made by different manufacturers.
Definitely a German issued piece.

Back
Top Bottom