MG Permit and Carrying / transporting

I understand that an MG permit allows you to possess a machinegun, however beyond that the rules appear to be clear as mud. I'm trying to understand what's allowed and not allowed with this license:

- i understand that loaning or giving someone else a machinegun to use is considered a felony, although some gun ranges seem to do MG rentals to unlicensed people under supervision. Is it legal to go to a range and supervise someone else using an MG if I am licensed?

- carrying a rifle or shotgun is illegal on a public way even with an LTC, but a machinegun isn't legally considered a rifle or shotgun. Obviously it's not advisable to walk down the street with a loaded machinegun, and the question of is it legal will wind up in the courts, but... Is it legal with an MG permit?

- transporting in a car, does it need to be unloaded and locked in the trunk/a container/trigger locks like a rifle or shotgun, or is it okay to carry under your control like a pistol?

Thanks in advance

In MA, nobody can (legally) touch a machine gun without a MG license. AG has ruled that and MGL backs her up on that.

I can almost guarantee that you'd lose any criminal case for having a loaded MG in a MV (hunting laws) or carrying down the street because Gunzz. Besides that there are only TWO legal reasons (per MGL) to issue MG licenses and they serve as legal restrictions . . . certified LE instructor or "collector", so carrying is totally out of the question unless you are active LE (who don't need a MG license in the performance of their duties).

Unless you have 100s of thousands of dollars to blow and 10 yrs of your life to spare in prison, I would advocate a very conservative approach to this.

As usual, Len has it spot on. Mr Hamilton Perkins, the mass "firearms expert", many, many years ago, told me that the green card allowed for possessing a MG anywhere in Mass where it was legal to do so. However, he's no longer around to testify in your behalf. Jack.

As usual, Len has it spot on. Mr Hamilton Perkins, the mass "firearms expert", many, many years ago, told me that the green card allowed for possessing a MG anywhere in Mass where it was legal to do so. However, he's no longer around to testify in your behalf. Jack.
AFAIK (and legacy.com agrees), Ham Perkins is still around and he is indeed an expert firearms collector. I met him a number of years ago and we had a great discussion . . . and then I asked him if he was THE "Ham Perkins" (retired MSP) and yes indeed. He gave me his home number and Email before we parted, although I've never had the need to contact him for any further info. Great guy.

The law about MGs changed after Ham retired from MSP, so as much as he was correct back then, it wouldn't hold water today.

- carrying a rifle or shotgun is illegal on a public way even with an LTC, but a machinegun isn't legally considered a rifle or shotgun. Obviously it's not advisable to walk down the street with a loaded machinegun, and the question of is it legal will wind up in the courts, but... Is it legal with an MG permit?

- transporting in a car, does it need to be unloaded and locked in the trunk/a container/trigger locks like a rifle or shotgun, or is it okay to carry under your control like a pistol?

Thanks in advance

Unless you're lawfully hunting.

In MA, nobody can (legally) touch a machine gun without a MG license. AG has ruled that and MGL backs her up on that.

I can almost guarantee that you'd lose any criminal case for having a loaded MG in a MV (hunting laws) or carrying down the street because Gunzz. Besides that there are only TWO legal reasons (per MGL) to issue MG licenses and they serve as legal restrictions . . . certified LE instructor or "collector", so carrying is totally out of the question unless you are active LE (who don't need a MG license in the performance of their duties).

Unless you have 100s of thousands of dollars to blow and 10 yrs of your life to spare in prison, I would advocate a very conservative approach to this.

Question, as far as touching without an MG license, is that really the case? even in the presence of the owner?

I'm not aware of any MA ranges that rent MGs anymore after the Westfield incident. If there is one, they can rent to a MG licensed person, but nobody else. If they are smart they will keep a very low profile because the EOPS and AG would love to crucify them.

Back
Top Bottom