• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MG license required for SBRs??

DW357

NES Member
So I was at the range yesterday shooting my SBR and another member and I were chatting. He claims that MA “used to” require a machine gun license to build/own a SBR in addition to the tax stamp from ATF?? I told him that I never heard of that but I’ve only had my LTC for about 10 years so maybe this was a thing years ago??

I’m thinking this is probably some other crap that he heard from a cop or at a gun shop maybe?

I’ve never heard of this. Just on the surface, why would you need a machine gun license for anything but a machine gun? On the books a machine gun license is described as a requirement to own a machine gun, not an SBR. This sounds a lot like a “Glocks are illegal in MA” type of guy to me.

I’ve never heard of this. Just on the surface, why would you need a machine gun license for anything but a machine gun? On the books a machine gun license is described as a requirement to own a machine gun, not an SBR. This sounds a lot like a “Glocks are illegal in MA” type of guy to me.
Yup. He’s a nice guy but I think he’s extremely misinformed. Probably explains why he was so baffled how I owned a CZ SP-01 shadow as they’re not on “the list”[rolleyes]

So I was at the range yesterday shooting my SBR and another member and I were chatting. He claims that MA “used to” require a machine gun license to build/own a SBR in addition to the tax stamp from ATF?? I told him that I never heard of that but I’ve only had my LTC for about 10 years so maybe this was a thing years ago??

I’m thinking this is probably some other crap that he heard from a cop or at a gun shop maybe?

Sounds like fake news to me, never heard of this. It's possible back before 41P some douche chiefs required it to give an SBR (CLEO) signoff though, but that's just a GUESS, not even a rumor, but I wouldn't put it past some of them especially in the pre comm2a days.

It's possible back before 41P some douche chiefs required it to give an SBR (CLEO) signoff though, but that's just a GUESS, not even a rumor, but I wouldn't put it past some of them especially in the pre comm2a days.
Yeah this is what I was wondering.

Though I think he’s mixing up class 3 firearms with SBRs. I tried explaining to him that a SBR is not a class 3 firearm. Just need a tax stamp etc.

Yeah this is what I was wondering.

Though I think he’s mixing up class 3 firearms with SBRs. I tried explaining to him that a SBR is not a class 3 firearm. Just need a tax stamp etc.

SBR is a class 3 firearm, but each class 3 item is regulated differently. Sounds like he’s lumping them together as all class 3’s following the same regulations.

Well, that could depend on the "opinion" of a particular ATF inspector who just stared yesterday and had a particular hair across his particular ass cheek. Years ago I brought in a pen gun on a Form 3 and was asked to send in a copy of my Green Card. I just sent it in. One time I was also told by an inspector that as an 07 I could only sell what I manufactured. I suppose it's a learning curve for new hires. Don't ever ask them what a Form 5 is needed for. After doing this for 40 years I've run into some strange stuff. Jack.

I've never heard that either, but maybe it was before I even lived here. I know how to solve it for future conversations with him though... get your green card :)

People make up all sorts of dumb shit around MA laws, but this one is especially dumb. All I can think is that someone at some point confused "machine gun" with "any NFA item" and assumed that you needed the green card to possess any NFA item. Of course, the license says right on it "Resident License to Possess a Machine Gun", so it's pretty unambiguous what it actually covers (machine guns, and nothing else).

Back
Top Bottom