• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Metro West Tactical 2011 IDPA Match Schedule

2011 Metro West Tactical schedule

Also Please check out the MWT Website

All events will be held at Harvard Sportsmen's Club. HSC membership is not required to participate, directions can be found here

Registration starts at 9:15AM

Last match of the season guys and gals!!!

November 25, Friday "Cold Turkey"

Metro West Tactical also holds IDPA practices at Harvard Sportsmen's Club every 1st & 3rd Mondays of the Month. HSC membership is not required to participate. New shooters are always welcome.

7:30-10PM Practice Free of charge. A great chance to to see what IDPA is about and also check out the HSC facilities

Checklist of what you should bring to practices and events:
  • Pistol (max barrel 5.13") or Revolver (max barrel 4")
  • ONLY Strong side belt holsters that cover trigger guard
  • At least 3 magazines or speedloaders
  • Magazine/Speedloader carrier or holder
  • Flashlight for low light events
  • Concealment Garment (shirt, vest, jacket)
  • Eye & Ear Protection
  • 100 rounds of ammunition
  • $20.00 match fee

Last edited:
I think I'm MDing the March 26 match, and am looking for a theme. Right now, the leader is the "Enemies-of-Revolvers" match.[smile]

Love to see a CDP styled match in the same format as "Friends of Revolvers".

I'm not sure how I'd make a "Friend of John Moses Browning" match without just using mostly normal stages, unless I really was going to be a dick and put reloads in nasty places.

Right now, I'm considering making it the "Things You Have Not Practiced" match, with things you don't see alot of, like prone shooting, uncomfortable positions, getting into and out of low cover, surrender starts, weak-hand skill stages and such. The downside is that some of these you don't see much because people hate them, and I don't want to put on a miserable match.[grin]

Love to see a CDP styled match in the same format as "Friends of Revolvers".

Yeah I think the Roland had it. Unfortunately the revolver guys are seriously challenged not just by 6 round capacity, but typically much longer/complicated reloads as opposed to semi autos. So you can see how we need some help in a revolver friendly match.

However the point is- most people shoot semi autos- this fun match is basically at the end of the season where it's a good time to try something you normally wouldn't.

No reason you couldn't taunt your friends into bringing a 1911 to a particular match...

Right now, I'm considering making it the "Things You Have Not Practiced" match, with things you don't see alot of, like prone shooting, uncomfortable positions, getting into and out of low cover, surrender starts, weak-hand skill stages and such. The downside is that some of these you don't see much because people hate them, and I don't want to put on a miserable match.[grin]

I like this idea. It's a tough line to walk to make a diabolical match that people enjoy rather than hate you for. One thing it made me think of is the USPSA classifier called "can you count": http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/06-03.pdf You fire 5 rounds per target. People are so programmed to fire 6 on similar drill stages that I'm sure it trips up a bunch of people.

Prone in early spring- people will hate you. The thing about prone shooting is it would really suck if it was pouring and muddy. You wouldn't make new friends for sure. However your general idea is sound.

Prone in early spring- people will hate you. The thing about prone shooting is it would really suck if it was pouring and muddy. You wouldn't make new friends for sure. However your general idea is sound.

Good point. I'm not out to make people belly-flop into the mud. Even low cover in the mud can be pretty damn unpleasant.

So, I'm apparently running the May match, not the March one. I knew it was one of those 'm' months.

I guess you aren't making any new friends, eh Dave?

John- I didn't make anyone go prone and no one had to- some folks decided to... someone even brought out the carpet which our squad didn't have so none of us went prone! If you aren't ok with taking a knee in the mud then maybe bulleye would be a better option... j/k LOL! Also- Mark H had the fastest time and he ran up and took a knee fwiw. That being said I was amazed at how the conditions rapidly degraded... I was not having much fun at all SOing running thru the mud all day.... not at all.

The rug was a sponge by the time I got to it and took a knee. However we did have several shooters in my group who ran all the way and diving into the snowbank. It was awesome the watch.

Hey all. Just shot my first IDPA match at Harvard yesterday (May 21). Wanted to thank everyone for being gracious hosts and especially Gene, who was our SO. Will absolutely be back and will bring some interested friends. Thanks for the hard work that goes into pulling off a great event.

Hey all. Just shot my first IDPA match at Harvard yesterday (May 21). Wanted to thank everyone for being gracious hosts and especially Gene, who was our SO. Will absolutely be back and will bring some interested friends. Thanks for the hard work that goes into pulling off a great event.
Thanks for coming. Hope to meet you at the next one.

Hi all,
I'm thinking of coming to the match tomorrow and trying out IDPA. Does "Friends-of-Revolvers" mean I have to shoot a revolver, or does it just mean the stages are more revolver-friendly?

Good questions.

Hi all,
I'm thinking of coming to the match tomorrow and trying out IDPA. Does "Friends-of-Revolvers" mean I have to shoot a revolver,
Nope.

or does it just mean the stages are more revolver-friendly?
Yup.

Come on out and join us, we'd love to have you. If you are new to IDPA, please let your SO know -- we'll put you at the end of the shooters on the stages, so you don't have to go first.

Come on out and join us, we'd love to have you. If you are new to IDPA, please let your SO know -- we'll put you at the end of the shooters on the stages, so you don't have to go first.

Awesome, I may or may not be able to come (weekend plans are a bit fluid at this point) but if I do I'll be sure to mention I'm new to IDPA. I've done some USPSA, and I know there are some crucial differences, so it'll be good to watch the other shooters to see how things should be done.

If you've done some USPSA, you know most of what you need for your first match. The safety rules and range commands are almost identical. The only differences you really need to worry about are tactical priority (slice the pie if cover is available, shoot near to far otherwise) and the reload rules(no dropping mags on the ground unless the gun is completely empty, reload behind cover if available).

But if you'd like to shoot a revolver, come on over to the round side -- it's a hoot. Hopefully we'll have a good revolver turnout tomorrow.

But if you'd like to shoot a revolver, come on over to the round side -- it's a hoot. Hopefully we'll have a good revolver turnout tomorrow.

It's too bad the friends of revolver match fell on the same weekend as the ICORE regionals just over in the border in NY. I'll be NOT using cover or a concealment garment, dropping live rounds, reloading when and where I want to, and carrying 6 speedloaders on my belt. [smile] [wink]

It's too bad the friends of revolver match fell on the same weekend as the ICORE regionals just over in the border in NY. I'll be NOT using cover or a concealment garment, dropping live rounds, reloading when and where I want to, and carrying 6 speedloaders on my belt. [smile] [wink]
Sounds like a blast. Maybe next year I'll have time to try ICORE.

Don't own a revolver, just my trusty Beretta. Looks like I'll be able to go to the match, so I'll see you tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom