Metro West Tactical 2010 IDPA Match Schedule

2010 Metro West Tactical schedule

Also Please check out the MWT Website

All events will be held at Harvard Sportsmen's Club. HSC membership is not required to participate, directions can be found here

January 22, Saturday
 IDPA Nor'easter 2011

Metro West Tactical also holds IDPA practices at Harvard Sportsmen's Club every 1st & 3rd Mondays of the Month. HSC membership is not required to participate. New shooters are always welcome.

5PM-7PM Practice shift 1
7:30-10PM Practice shift 2
NOTE: No practice will be held July 5th or August 16th

Checklist of what you should bring to practices and events:
  • Pistol (max barrel 5.13") or Revolver (max barrel 4")
  • ONLY Strong side belt holsters that cover trigger guard
  • At least 3 magazines or speedloaders
  • Magazine/Speedloader carrier or holder
  • Flashlight for low light events
  • Concealment Garment (shirt, vest, jacket)
  • Eye & Ear Protection
  • 200 rounds of ammunition
  • $5.00 practice entry fee
  • $20.00 match fee

PAST EVENTS
[strike]April 3, Saturday Season Kick Off Match[/strike]
[strike]May 1, Saturday
 IDPA Classifier Double-header[/strike]
[strike]May 22, Saturday 
IDPA match[/strike]

Dedicated NES Thread

[strike]June 27, Sunday
 IDPA match[/strike]

[strike]July 25, Sunday
 IDPA match[/strike]

[strike]August 14-15, Sat/Sun
 New England Regional IDPA Championship Match[/strike]

[strike]September 18, Saturday
 IDPA, and a side match[/strike]

[strike]October 16, Saturday
 Friends-of-Revolvers Match[/strike]

[strike]November 26, Friday
 IDPA Cold Turkey[/strike]

• Dedicated NES Thread
  • Registration is now open please visit www.matchreg.com for registration information
  • This match will be hosted on August 14-15 by MetroWest Tactical at the Harvard Sportsmen's Club with help from many of our local friends from other clubs. Cost is $95 and will be 14 stages including 2 indoor low/no-light, 157 minimum round count and one day format. Note- due to shooter feedback, lunch will not be included, nor will we stop for lunch, but food will be available for purchase.
  • Match will be run per IDPA rules and all shooters must be classified in the division they are competing in within one year of this match (unless Master classification).

Last edited:
Can someone shoot a match entirely one handed? (Assume muzzle stays in a safe direction while reloading and racking slide on belt?)

Can someone shoot a match entirely one handed? (Assume muzzle stays in a safe direction while reloading and racking slide on belt?)

Of course you can... just don't bleed on the SOs. Actually I'd have to think about the racking on the belt... not once have I seen anyone do that.

Of course you can... just don't bleed on the SOs. Actually I'd have to think about the racking on the belt... not once have I seen anyone do that.

I refuse to do it with my teeth

And when I say "one hand" I mean reload, rack and do everything one handed.

I can't speak for the MD, but as long as you keep your muzzle in a safe direction the whole time, I'd have no problem.

Sorry, but not if I am an MD or even an SO.
In the spirit, if not the letter of the Rulebook (CoF 16. No “weak-hand only” reloading.) I think single-hand reloads with a strong hand would be banned as well.
I have learned and practiced single-handed reloads (with an unloaded gun of course) and let me say this...belt-racking a slide of a loaded pistol while pointing at your own femoral artery is not safe. In my opinion, it would be too risky to perform in a match, require safe-direction violations, etc. Generally speaking, administrative reload, i.e. swapping mags with a gun in a holster is a safe alternative assuming the round is chambered. But even that would not be an option in course of a stage, IMHO, because it would require holstering on the clock. It certainly would not be acceptable to me as an SO/MD.
In short, I would gladly allow a competitor to shoot (i.e. fire) a stage single-handed instead of as two-handed (after all, freestyle means do whatever you prefer) as long as it does not require dangerous and probably poorly practiced maneuvers.

Haven't you been practicing your one hand ninja slide racking technique? Shoot to slide lock, drop the mag, holster it, grab mag, stick it in, draw, ninja rack and you're all set. You may still beat your brother. [devil]

Sorry, but not if I am an MD or even an SO.
In the spirit, if not the letter of the Rulebook (CoF 16. No “weak-hand only” reloading.) I think single-hand reloads with a strong hand would be banned as well.
I have learned and practiced single-handed reloads (with an unloaded gun of course) and let me say this...belt-racking a slide of a loaded pistol while pointing at your own femoral artery is not safe. In my opinion, it would be too risky to perform in a match, require safe-direction violations, etc. Generally speaking, administrative reload, i.e. swapping mags with a gun in a holster is a safe alternative assuming the round is chambered. But even that would not be an option in course of a stage, IMHO, because it would require holstering on the clock. It certainly would not be acceptable to me as an SO/MD.
In short, I would gladly allow a competitor to shoot (i.e. fire) a stage single-handed instead of as two-handed (after all, freestyle means do whatever you prefer) as long as it does not require dangerous and probably poorly practiced maneuvers.

IDPA has no rule against reholstering on the clock. In USPSA, it's against the rules to require it, but you can do it if it's done safely.
Similarly, I read the CoF rules as stipulating what may be required by the stage, not what you can do.

I agree that racking with the gun pointed at your leg isn't safe, but you can do it without pointing it at yourself. One way is to turn your strong side hip downrange, push your hip out, and rack on the holster. The gun never points at you or up range.

I can't imagine they would say no do a disabled person.
Conversely, I can indeed imagine somebody having a liability insurance bigger than mine but it does not make me less of a man. Personally, discrimination or not, I wouldn't accept a ride with a blind cab driver either.
Having personally witnessed the faces of an SO and an MD after a self-inflicted shooting-while-holstering at their match, I don't want to ever be in their shoes. Ever. If somebody feels it is okay to allow unsafe maneuvers, I might choose to not discriminate [wink] and participate in that event, but not in any official capacity.
A Proud Member of "They" Since 2002

Yea I was thinking about the reloading part of things. I'll have to give it a go before I consider attempting it. I may not as my finger started bleeding again today.

Conversely, I can indeed imagine somebody having a liability insurance bigger than mine but it does not make me less of a man. Personally, discrimination or not, I wouldn't accept a ride with a blind cab driver either.
Having personally witnessed the faces of an SO and an MD after a self-inflicted shooting-while-holstering at their match, I don't want to ever be in their shoes. Ever. If somebody feels it is okay to allow unsafe maneuvers, I might choose to not discriminate [wink] and participate in that event, but not in any official capacity.
A Proud Member of "They" Since 2002

WTF??

Yea I was thinking about the reloading part of things. I'll have to give it a go before I consider attempting it. I may not as my finger started bleeding again today.

I think you should probably skip it then.. Your doc might be a little annoyed if his hard work gets ruined..[wink]

Is it OK to go to a match just to observe? And if that's OK, do you have to pay to observe? I've never been to one like this before.

The whole point of the events is defensive pistol shooting, right? Several cops have saved their own life by reloading one handed in a gunfight post GSW. I think if they don't want it done they should change their name and their motto. Defensive shooting is about fighting, and in gunfights, wounds to the arms are very common, but you can't yell "Time out!" in real life.

Actually I'd have to think about the racking on the belt... not once have I seen anyone do that.

It's pretty simple. Catch the rear sight on your belt and push down. I personally prefer to place the sights just behind the holster on my strong side, since on a duty rig that's right beside the keepers, so it's a stable enough area that the belt doesn't move when doing it. Just keep the gun pointed away from your body the whole time, the same way you would while reholstering, reloading or anything else with a gun.

I have learned and practiced single-handed reloads (with an unloaded gun of course) and let me say this...belt-racking a slide of a loaded pistol while pointing at your own femoral artery is not safe. In my opinion, it would be too risky to perform in a match, require safe-direction violations, etc.

The femoral artery? Only if you're racking the slide up by your bellybutton, with the muzzle shakily pointed somewhere around your penis.

Last edited:
Is it OK to go to a match just to observe? And if that's OK, do you have to pay to observe? I've never been to one like this before.

Yes, but you'll wish you brought your gun and shot it. There is no fee to observe.

The whole point of the events is defensive pistol shooting, right? Several cops have saved their own life by reloading one handed in a gunfight post GSW. I think if they don't want it done they should change their name and their motto. Defensive shooting is about fighting, and in gunfights, wounds to the arms are very common, but you can't yell "Time out!" in real life.

It's pretty simple. Catch the rear sight on your belt and push down. I personally prefer to place the sights just behind the holster on my strong side, since on a duty rig that's right beside the keepers, so it's a stable enough area that the belt doesn't move when doing it. Just keep the gun pointed away from your body the whole time, the same way you would while reholstering, reloading or anything else with a gun.
It's a question of safety and liability at a match. Of course in a self defensive situation you'd do whatever you could.

no, i don't Want To...but thank you for asking.

Wow, your s/n is Sensemnaker, but making sense is the last thing you are doing. My "WTF" post was because I couldn't figure out WTF you were talking about. For the record, it wasn't an offer but feel free to introduce yourself to me at my next match so i can tell you what I really think of your comment.. [rolleyes]

I agree with eisenhow. Get a briefing on the admin fundamentals (Load and Make Ready, Unload and Show Clear, etc), the bring a gun and three mags and shoot. Commit to yourself to shoot slowly and deliberately (that way you won't unintentionally "run over/past" any rules) and you'll be GTG.

Never lose sight of the fact IDPA is simply a game. A fun game to be sure, but a game nonetheless. It has rules, penalties, points, time and scores. As such, we do many things (and conversely can't do many things) differently than in "real life." It's more like "real fighting" than IPSC in much the same way NASCAR is more like "real driving" than Formula 1. (With the possible exception that the motto of NASCAR is not "f*** Formula 1.")

Last edited:
Never lose sight of the fact IDPA is simply a game. A fun game to be sure, but a game nonetheless. It has rules, penalties, points, time and scores. As such, we do many things (and conversely can't do many things) differently than in "real life." It's more like "real fighting" than IPSC in much the same way NASCAR is more like "real driving" than Formula 1. (With the possible exception that the motto of NASCAR is not "f*** Formula 1.")

[laugh] fair enough.

It is indeed a game, and NASCAR analogy is pretty apt. Many people run pistols that are somewhat, but not totally, impractical for concealed carry. Ramped "have fun racking this one-handed" rear sights come to mind.

BUMP-Match Sunday:
June 27, Sunday
 IDPA match

* Registration starting at 9:15AM, Safety Briefing at 9:45 AM and First Shoots at 10:00 AM.
* 6 stages (1 will be indoor low-light and 5 outdoor).

BUMP-Match Sunday:
June 27, Sunday
 IDPA match

* Registration starting at 9:15AM, Safety Briefing at 9:45 AM and First Shoots at 10:00 AM.
* 6 stages (1 will be indoor low-light and 5 outdoor).

I'll be there, as will a few of the regular crew. Of chief concern, of course, is this match's theme[wink].

And what exactly is the theme?

I don't think there is one. There's an ongoing joke that myself and another newer IDPA shooter sometimes seem more concerned with the theme and 'background' story than with which targets we're supposed to be engaging and where.
I also may be the only one who thinks it is funny, but there it is.

I'll be there, as will a few of the regular crew. Of chief concern, of course, is this match's theme[wink].

You are at an IDPA match. There are a a bunch of sketchy brown cardboard targets that look very menacing. You happen to have lots of ammo and a IDPA SO and scorekeeper walks on to the range and you hear BEEEEP!!!!

I'm hoping to get down to HSC this Sunday, and I'd like to meet some of my fellow NESers, if possible. It will be my first time at such an event. I'll wear my NES name tag, so if you see me, please feel free to say hi.

Stages are in, 7 stages 96 rounds min, bring 150-200.

Kingfisher, look forward to seeing you. Let the staff know at check in that you're new to IDPA and we'll pair you with someone who knows the ropes.

Fantastic match, with some really fun stages. Can't wait to see if I beat WeedWacker!

I'm terrible with names: If you were shooting with WeedWacker today I was the guy on your squad shooting revolver.

Lot's of fun stages today. I had a few good runs and a couple of bad ones. Nice job as MD Rick, and AMD Jeff. Thanks again to MWT to putting on such great matches.

Back
Top Bottom