Method to throughly clean magazines?

Jim Poulette

NES Member
My apologies if this has already come up.

The standard 5-round magazines I use are assembled with roll pins - is there a good way to clean them without completely disassembling them? At the moment I'm holding the spring down with a wooden dowel and then using a Q-tip to clean (and lube) the interior wall of the magazine. Seems to be working - just wondering if there's a better way.

If there's a link to another thread, please let me know. Thanks! [thinking]

If you don't want to, or can't disassemble them, put a gallon of WD-40 in a plastic container with a tight lid and aggitate them for a while then blow dry them with compressed air.

Or, use a non chlorinated carb cleaner like Gumout then blow dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been cleaning them out with solvent first (Hoppes Elite) - then using a "slight" amount of lube (like 1/4 a Q-tip of MF-82 on 12 mags) to keep the slides working good.

Will a silicone rag actually clean? Gumout - never thought of that!!

I practice with one mag and clean that one out with spray cleaner outdoors. The other mags are for the matches and only get a q-tip run through them every few months. Non-chlorinated, like finallygotabeltfed suggests, because my 22 gun is nickel plated.
My 22 mags get lubed with dry lube like White Lightning, or Tri-Flow. My gun is dripping with oil, but the mags are dry lubed.

Last edited:
I use spray electrical cleaner on my hard to disassemble mags. Works great, no residue, the stream is strong enough to blow any crap or lint out and the stuff is safe for plastics and most gun finishes.
Then use a good dry lube or silicon cloth.

Yup, all sound advice above. Basically just make sure the mag is dry as can be when you're done cleaning it. I saw a guy at the range once dumping CLP down his Sig mag. When I kindly approached him to offer some advice, he just said "Oh, no, this is the way you do it."

OK [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom