Methadone and LTC

Shire Guy

NES Member
Have searched, but found nothing on the topic. Does anyone know if participation in a methadone program is a statutory DQ for getting an LTC in MA? Thanks in advance.

This state is great. If you need help (drugs, depression for example) your basically screwed if you seek it.
Better to just stay suicidal with a bottle of pills in your lap.

Only if they find out about it, but the bigger question will be filling out a 4473 Line 11E, since Methadone is synthetic Heroin for lack of a better definition, and it is addictive, and it is a controlled substance, you can't go to a FFL and buy a firearm

Since MA licensing is discretionary, it does not have to be statutory, it can be because the licensing official says so,

Chelsea for example: wait five years if you have been treated or confined for drug addiction or alcoholism and submit an affidavit from a registered physician stating that you have been cured.

(and no Doctor in the world will ever put on paper than an alcoholic has been "cured" as there is no cure)

If you need help (drugs, depression for example) your basically screwed if you seek it.
don't have an answer but in the example you mention i really think it's in place to prevent 7 digit lawsuits after a depressed person sticks a pistol in their mouth and blows the top of their head off. one of these "you knew they were clinically depressed and you still gave them a gun" lawsuit things you can see coming a mile down the road after the fact. i'm not trained in this stuff so i'm just speculating.

I’d assume many people who are associated with the world of methadone are also familiar with people who are aware of ways to achieve gun ownership without worrying much about 4473s, or even LTCs.

Just a guess.

My curiosity was piqued as a known addict in my town, on daily methadone dosing for years, just received a shiny new LTC. So wondering if he had to have lied on the application, or do I have a unicorn for a Chief.

My curiosity was piqued as a known addict in my town, on daily methadone dosing for years, just received a shiny new LTC. So wondering if he had to have lied on the application, or do I have a unicorn for a Chief.
If he didn't lie you need to name the town because it has got to be the brightest glow-in-the-dark green town in existence. Seriously, name the town.

Only if they find out about it, but the bigger question will be filling out a 4473 Line 11E, since Methadone is synthetic Heroin for lack of a better definition, and it is addictive, and it is a controlled substance, you can't go to a FFL and buy a firearm
This.

When some in the 2A community have been in an uproar over cannabis legalization when it comes to gun rights, they tend to ignore what 11E really means.

If you are addicted to a controlled substance, even if it is legally prescribed to you under federal law, you are a prohibited person.

If you are an unlawful user of a controlled substance, you are a prohibited person, and that is as easy as taking a pill not prescribed to you, or taking one after the expiration of your prescription, or taking one for a reason other than why it was prescribed.

If you are addicted to a controlled substance, even if it is legally prescribed to you under federal law, you are a prohibited person
Controlled by who?
FDA only?
im-going-to-stop-iitchymitchy-buying-jeep-parts-iitchymitchy-262996.png

11wtll.jpg

i suppose one could just say no and be done with it. i do remember when i was in high school, a private school in the late 60's, so it was small and we knew everyone pretty well, there we two guys who were in a methadone program. i want to say to get in it, they had to be registered with a state agency. if still true today, i'm now wondering if that would be kicked back during a background check for a ltc. of course there was no thing as hipaa then.

That's the quandary, if there is a methadone registry and if inclusion in such program/registry is a statutory DQ, how did he get an LTC? Was hoping someone could provide a citation in MGL if it exists.

That's not what the question says. it asks if you're an unlawful user. Your not an unlawful user if you have a prescription....and "or addicted to" is a legally meaningless term since it's unprovable (<apparently this is a word?).

OxyContin is just as or more addictive than methadone and I could buy a gun if I had a valid script for it.

This.

When some in the 2A community have been in an uproar over cannabis legalization when it comes to gun rights, they tend to ignore what 11E really means.

If you are addicted to a controlled substance, even if it is legally prescribed to you under federal law, you are a prohibited person.

If you are an unlawful user of a controlled substance, you are a prohibited person, and that is as easy as taking a pill not prescribed to you, or taking one after the expiration of your prescription, or taking one for a reason other than why it was prescribed.

11E is such a retardedly worded question it's essentially meaningless.

Are you addicted? no, if you think I am prove it. Oh yeah, you can't

Are you an unlawful user of....? Right now? no, I'm not in this moment a user of anything but this pen. The present tense phrasing of this question makes it completely useless. What if I was a pill head last week but quit?

The reason for the inclusion of that question is to let retards self select out of firearms eligibility.

11E is such a retardedly worded question it's essentially meaningless.

Are you addicted? no, if you think I am prove it. Oh yeah, you can't
Guess what happens when you dare the FBI to
devise objective criteria for the enforcement of a law?

They devise objective criteria for the enforcement of a law.

FBI.Gov: CJIS: About NICS
Federal Categories of Persons Prohibited from Receiving
A delay response from the NICS Section indicates the subject of the background check has been matched with either a state or federal potentially prohibiting record containing a similar name and/or similar descriptive features (name, sex, race, date of birth, state of residence, social security number, height, weight, or place of birth). The federally prohibiting criteria are as follows:
...​
  • An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year; or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year; or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.
Are you an unlawful user of....? Right now? no, I'm not in this moment a user of anything but this pen. The present tense phrasing of this question makes it completely useless. What if I was a pill head last week but quit?
Do you that suppose Bill "Past Rapist-in-Chief" Clinton
wouldn't have played word tense games about what the meaning of "is" is
during his interview about his relationship with Monica Lewinsky,
if only he'd realized how corrosive an effect it would have
down through the decades upon civic rhetoric and the health of the body politic?

Nah, who am I kidding.
Clinton didn't GAF.

why?

Someone who had a opioid problem and is seeking medical help for it shouldn't have rights?

I would hope the list of statutory DQs would be essentially nonexistant, but then again I like freedom.
I would hope that someone who is actively in a methadone program would have to wait until completing the program and some kind of waiting period beyond that. I don't think this should be something vague or arbitrary, people deserve to know what the consequences are. Then if they make that decision, well, so be it, they knew what the price was.

Most in the methodone clinic are only there for the free high, when their allotment is up they go out and use again so they can start the treatments over again.
Anybody in the program for a year or more has no intention of getting clean

Back
Top Bottom