Metal Detecting Mega Thread

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Yesterday, I took the new Excalibar ll to the beach for a test run. It worked flawlessly. I ran pretty minimal settings. Discrimination, sensitivity, threshold etc. Volume cranked. No false signals or chatter from black sand. When I got home, I thought I would poke around my backyard. This is when I discovered how sensitive this machine to EMI. It became really unstable and chattery. I couldn’t maintain a threshold. I initially thought there may be a leak in the coil or some other defect. So, to confirm, this morning I took it back to the beach, and again, and it ran perfect. It was just electrical interference.

There is no way to mask out EMI or change frequencies, because it only has one. I have other machines that can do all that, so really no big deal. It’s going to be a dedicated beach detector anyway, and that is where it shines.
I’m sure it will do well in areas without so much electrical activity as well. I’ll have to do more testing.

The other drawback is the inability to swap out coils or headphones. I totally overlooked this. [rolleyes] Duh, It’s a completely waterproof, submergable machine, with hardwired connections. [laugh]. I actually ordered a 15” Coiltech WOT, designed for the Excalibur, thinking it was “plug and play”. Nope, it entails splicing the coil wire. I don’t think I want to do that on a brand new machine, still under warranty. So, I believe I’ll send the new coil back. I’ve seen a bunch of mods on YouTube but I’m not ready for that yet.

Oh yeah, it’s heavy too, and a little unbalanced. I ordered an Anderson “over under travel shaft”, which should help. I also got a knob protector. The Excalibur has external dials which can be bumped and broken if you’re not careful.

I’ll update more after working with the new shaft and getting some hours on it.

BaldAssCat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yesterday, I took the new Excalibar ll to the beach for a test run. It worked flawlessly. I ran pretty minimal settings. Discrimination, sensitivity, threshold etc. Volume cranked. No false signals or chatter from black sand. When I got home, I thought I would poke around my backyard. This is when I discovered how sensitive this machine to EMI. It became really unstable and chattery. I couldn’t maintain a threshold. I initially thought there may be a leak in the coil or some other defect. So, to confirm, this morning I took it back to the beach, and again, and it ran perfect. It was just electrical interference.
I never really looked at the specs on these before. I assumed it was PI since there was no VDI but I guess I was wrong. I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the NiMH battery. You could lose some of the weight with Li, or maybe get as chest rig for the box so you're just holding the coil.

Let us know how the depth is. I know there's a lot of comparison with the new Equinox. I'm half looking to upgrade my ATP and these two were pretty high on the list. If the Equinox comes close to the depth in the salt water it would be my choice since it has a VDI and is half the price. I'm not at the beach enough to justify a dedicated water machine.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Today I got the new Anderson shaft and knob guard installed. What a huge difference in balance and weight distribution!
There were a couple finish defects, and I did have to ream the mounting holes on the new shaft to get the control unit on.
I’ll let them know about it.

On my way to the beach, I realized I had forgotten my scoop. I didn’t want to go back to my house, so I stopped at a Target store that I was near, and picked up a shovel. So, now I’m $25 in the hole before I start. Pun intended ;). It did have a sticker on it that read “ best shovel in the world “, so that’s a bonus. [laugh]

Anyway, it performed fantastic, once again. I was hitting dime sized targets to the depth of the shovel blade, which I’m guessing is close to a foot. I’ll have to measure.

A few bucks in clad coinage, including a Susan B. Anthony dollar. And the usual trash, which I do my part, to remove from the beach.

Before:
A87DE813-AE78-48EB-A2FA-51CDA3398B4A.jpeg

New shaft:
B99E791B-9D28-455B-92A5-0C11EA76DA48.jpeg

Knob guard:
0490722A-1E88-43DC-BF2B-A5225B091D0F.jpeg

Defect in finish:
19030D28-99F6-40E9-A76A-4FB8B226F6BE.jpeg

Bounty:
823B43E6-8A5B-4403-BB2D-DFC3FBEAD07E.jpeg

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
fascinating thread. I spend hours watching you tube vids on this stuff. I love the way you guys brag about your machines and trick them out with after market parts like ar rifles.

this is something i'd really like to pursue in the near future. good stuff guys!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fascinating thread. I spend hours watching you tube vids on this stuff. I love the way you guys brag about your machines and trick them out with after market parts like ar rifles.

this is something i'd really like to pursue in the near future. good stuff guys!
Most mods are out of necessity. The Excal is primarily a diving detector up to 200ft below. As result that factory shaft sucks. If you make it a hour, your arm is ready to fall off. The after market shafts shift the weight to the elbow or behind it. Those control boxes are silly heavy for what they are.
Oh and unlike AR mods, there is nothing that can be done to make metal detectors look cool. LOL.
Give it a go, for the money an equinox 600 is a fantastic starter matchine that can do better than these Excals that we have double the investment in. (Or make an offer on the AT I have for sale. LOL)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There is no way to mask out EMI or change frequencies, because it only has one. I have other machines that can do all that, so really no big deal. It’s going to be a dedicated beach detector anyway, and that is where it shines.
I’m sure it will do well in areas without so much electrical activity as well. I’ll have to do more testing.
The excal uses BBS, you can’t change frequencies because the detector uses 17 frequencies at the same time. You can try lowering the sensitivity, but like you said it’s a salt machine so its not really an issue. It’s those multiple frequencies that make it work so great in the ocean and in black sand.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Excal II is an awesome machine.
Here is mine (plugger carbon balance shaft, Andersen knob guard):
View attachment 243688
You need a good scoop with that rig.
Lol. I ordered a Pluggers three-piece balanced travel shaft in carbon fiber a few days ago. It showed up today. I was going back-and-forth between that and the Anderson so I just bought both. Ha ha.
I also picked up another battery adapter and two smart chargers, so that I know exactly when my batteries are charged. I think the stock charger should at least have a light on it.
My scoop is a Workshop Lightweight stainless steel with hexagonal holes. I have a Raptor pull handle on it.
796E074E-C2CF-4980-9D1C-4E2E31203729.jpeg
22CF3E48-9B61-4BAB-814E-CC8871AEEFDC.jpeg
73062FEB-176A-4D07-B2EC-E4261F547505.jpeg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol. I ordered a Pluggers three-piece balanced travel shaft in carbon fiber a few days ago. It showed up today. I was going back-and-forth between that and the Anderson so I just bought both. Ha ha.
I also picked up another battery adapter and two smart chargers, so that I know exactly when my batteries are charged. I think the stock charger should at least have a light on it.
My scoop is a Workshop Lightweight stainless steel with hexagonal holes. I have a Raptor pull handle on it.
That’s the exact shaft I have.
Also have that charger, seems the factory one is just an ac adapter and it will overcharge the battery if you just leave it plugged in too long. That was my motivation, the LEDs were just a bonus. I was going to recommend it, but your doing just fine on your own.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I’ve got a copper button I need help id’ng. Maybe a “ball” button. Stand by for photo.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A wrap up from last week. Vacation ended way too soon.

I averaged 1 decent (or fantastic) keeper a day.
For the last 2 days I scored a 14k wedding band (2.5g) and a silver bracelet.

From earlier in the week:

The Tiffany is cleaning up ok. It looks better in person than it does in this pic.

Cleaned up these 2 a little bit, these are basically junkers though.

Finally- A repost: This thing cleaned up really nice and sparkles like mad.

This was an interesting find. It was in a small public beach. Would have been fun to jam your foot into this:

Knob Creek

NES Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Resurecting this thread. What is a good unit for land and the beach for a beginner for under $500 and for under $1,000. ( I know it's been discussed before but models change over the years.)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ocean beach detecting is hard - the salt drives the gear crazy unless it was built for the purpose, mainly multi frequency machines or pulse induction. Both of those come with a premium price tag. If you stay in the dry sand, most any machine will do, but many good finds happen in the wet sand or in the surf.
At $650 or less, the Minelab Equinox 600 multi frequency is the best value and a great beach or anywhere detector. The equinox 800 is fantastic as well, stepping up to the 800 for beach detecting is debatable and will be a $200 personal choice. Either one of these machines will grow with you from beginner to advanced.
For a budget friendly option, there is a lot of hype on the Nokta Simplex+ being a good machine and its at least tries to play in the salt with its beach mode. This is a sub $300 machine and very easy to use. You will want to upgrade a year or 3 down the road.
In the middle is the vanquish 540, multi frequency, very powerful beginner machine. Handles salt without issue. The equinox will have some more advanced settings and is waterproof. The vanquish is not waterproof (possibly rain proof). Other than that the 540 will find about the same stuff as the equinox.

You will need:
A good set of headphones, wired and waterproof if you are going to surf hunt.
A finds bag ( Deluxe Beach Pouch with Zippers - Black and Yellow 9068015728 | eBay or Anderson Detector Beach Finds Pouch with 2 Compartments & Built in Carabiner 9068016091 | eBay )
A good long handled scoop, ( Sito scoop, RTG Reilly's Treasured Gold - sand scoops and pirate goodies, stavr scoops, XTREME SCOOPS – www.xtremescoops.com – Metal Detecting Beach and Sand Scoops )

Last edited:

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Historic Property Maps?

I've been looking online and so far have not found something helpful to find old home & farm sites. I'm in the Wachusett area NW of Worcester. Quite a few miles of open land nearby and I do know of one promising site within hiking distance of the house. It's in the middle of 2nd growth forest now but there are the remnants of a stone walled barn / outbuilding and slightly uphill there is an unusually flat and somewhat square bordered plot. On that flat plot there are the remnants of a gigantic old growth hardwood tree that based on its shape once grew on open land- one hell of a spread, not your typical tall forest tree. I don't think a giant like that would have been left alone from cutting unless someone had been preserving it. Anyway, it's in the middle of some non-DCR, non-state park land that's open to hiking, hunting, mountain biking, etc. so I figure it's fair game for detecting and a good Wu Flu activity.

I know of other sites buried in the forest where there appears to be relatively small areas enclosed by stone walls- some small enough to be some sort of animal pen. I'd think there would have had to have been a farm house somewhere nearby. Maybe the town library would have old property records? Any thoughts on how to find information on historic dwellings that may or may no longer exist? Probably I won't have access until this virus mess subsides, but I have some hunting spots to keep me busy until then. Thanks!

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Resurecting this thread. What is a good unit for land and the beach for a beginner for under $500 and for under $1,000. ( I know it's been discussed before but models change over the years.)
Under $500 you can get a Minelab 600 used. It is an excellent multi frequency machine. Under $1k I would get a used XP Deus. These are machines that I have a lot of experience with and I am constantly impressed by them. There are bunch of other choices but these machines are ones I know and would recommend.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I reciently bought a farm in Norfolk that dates to 1804, looking to metal detect it. I’m not having luck finding used quality units on Craigslist or eBay. Is there any other places to find used ? Just a beginner. Oh and it has a well on the property about 30” in dia and 9’ to water surface, don’t know how deep the water is.

Last edited:

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I reciently bought a farm in Norfolk that dates to 1804, looking to metal detect it. I’m not having luck finding used quality units on Craigslist or eBay. Is there any other places to find used ? Just a beginner.
I just looked on ebay and there were a few good used machines available. Lots of older machines but a handful of good modern as well.

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I reciently bought a farm in Norfolk that dates to 1804, looking to metal detect it. I’m not having luck finding used quality units on Craigslist or eBay. Is there any other places to find used ? Just a beginner.
Norfolk Virginia Or is there a Norfolk in Mass? If in Mass I could possibly loan you my Equniox 600 to try.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Norfolk ma., not moved in just yet but soon. Fisher F44 detector ? Saw some reviews for mid level units around +-$300.00
Or the Garrett 400 ? Just looking to get started and don’t know how much, other than my farm I would use it.
Thanks for the offer, roccoracer, but the 600 is a little high for me now. But if I get one maybe we can team up on this.

Top Bottom