Metal Detecting Mega Thread

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Saw a facebook post on our town's based page, seems one of the High School seniors lost her class ring while having Prom photos done. I contacted the family (our daughters went to elementary school together) The girl was heartsick and what's worse it was the dad who dropped it. I managed to find it for them after narrowing down the places they took photos. Family is thrilled and I feel pretty good having help
My son came home from school today and said a classmate lost a ring that his Dad gave him before the father died. They were having field day and during a race the ring caught on a chain link fence and slipped off. I just spent over an hour looking but had no luck. Anyone want to help look on Saturday morning? The issue is without knowing what the ring is made of I can't set the discrimination too tight. Plus there is a buried sprinkler system on one side of the fence with a marking cable and the other side of the fence is tall grass and brambles.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son came home from school today and said a classmate lost a ring that his Dad gave him before the father died. They were having field day and during a race the ring caught on a chain link fence and slipped off. I just spent over an hour looking but had no luck. Anyone want to help look on Saturday morning? The issue is without knowing what the ring is made of I can't set the discrimination too tight. Plus there is a buried sprinkler system on one side of the fence with a marking cable and the other side of the fence is tall grass and brambles.
What town?

rjh200

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hey everyone. Haven't been on much lately due to life throwing me a series of curveballs over the past year. Glad to see you are all still making great finds!

I wanted to put something here before posting in the classifieds, but I am going to be selling my Ace 250 setup. Not going to sidetrack the thread with a complete sale posting, but if anyone knows someone looking for a great starter setup at a good price let me know.

Thanks,
Randy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EDD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi everybody. I have a birthday coming up in a few months and have been thinking more and more about getting a metal detector. My only holdback is having actual places worth detecting. I'm in north central MA and would appreciate any tips or thoughts on places to detect. Are public areas like parks and playgrounds GTG? Beaches in state parks still ok?
Thanks,
Ed

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ed
My hunting partner does parks all the time, he just calls the local towns police dept and asks them and they usually say yes just be neat. He has lots of good finds from parks. We both dig as small a hole as possible using hand tools so get yourself a good digger, we also put the dirt we dig out onto a piece of plastic so all the dirt removed goes right back into the hole. Neatness counts.
check out our website Diggin History on Cape Cod | Two Guys Saving History With Metal Detectors

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
I am considering upgrading to a ATmax before spring. Anyone have or try one? People seem to like them from what I have seen. Side by side reviews with the pro, gold and max and the max seems to come out as a great all around machine.

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
Ed
My hunting partner does parks all the time, he just calls the local towns police dept and asks them and they usually say yes just be neat. He has lots of good finds from parks. We both dig as small a hole as possible using hand tools so get yourself a good digger, we also put the dirt we dig out onto a piece of plastic so all the dirt removed goes right back into the hole. Neatness counts.
check out our website Diggin History on Cape Cod | Two Guys Saving History With Metal Detectors
I checked out your pics, some very epic finds.
My oldest finds are a pair of Indians from the same hole, a 64 and 65. Found next to a nice comfy rock. I have been using a Ace350 with a couple different coils for the past 5-6 years and am due for an upgrade. The 350 doesn’t discriminate all the trash very well and isn’t getting the depth I would like.

BaldAssCat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am considering upgrading to a ATmax before spring. Anyone have or try one? People seem to like them from what I have seen. Side by side reviews with the pro, gold and max and the max seems to come out as a great all around machine.
I haven't used the max but the people I talked to who have say it's the gold with a back light, volume control and wireless headphones. Not a bad thing but no real upgrade on the finding stuff parts.

Don't get me wrong, the Max is a nice machine by all accounts. I use a pro myself and like Garrett but if that's your budget and timeframe why not wait to see how the Equinox rates once all the marketing and hype is died down?

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
I had watched a few YouTube videos of the 3 and it looked to me like the Max was indeed a lot like the Gold but it did seem like the Max had a little more depth than the others and it also seemed a little more versatile than the Gold for all around relic hunting. I was originally going to buy a Pro but the Max looked like basically a stronger version of the Pro it’s obviously more money but at that point what’s another hundred bucks if your already spending that much. I haven’t fully decided yet though.

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
Thanks, I am most likely going with the Pro or Max. I had looked at some other brands and know Minelab is great also but don’t know if they are to compelex. I don’t know anyone that has one and while I have been detecting for a while I am still relatively new to the more powerful higher end machines. Obviously winter is going to be here for a while still so I have a little while to decide.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
A few years ago, we bought a unit for my middle daughter. I have no idea at this point what it was. Maybe it was a couple-hunnert dollars. But I did some homework before pulling the trigger. She used it once.

LAST summer (2016) with the drought, my son and I scoured near the dam at the head of the Namasket River. Not even a worm weight to be found. Nada. Nothing. Not sure if it was the equipment or the dearth of items. Personally I've lost a dozen lures there.

We did find both "indian" carvings of the "viking/phoenician" ship. THAT was cool. We went back this summer - one is completely covered by sand again. Not sure if it was the original-original or someone copied the other (at the old mouth of the river) just as goof or something. They looked almost identical.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A few years ago, we bought a unit for my middle daughter. I have no idea at this point what it was. Maybe it was a couple-hunnert dollars. But I did some homework before pulling the trigger. She used it once.

LAST summer (2016) with the drought, my son and I scoured near the dam at the head of the Namasket River. Not even a worm weight to be found. Nada. Nothing. Not sure if it was the equipment or the dearth of items. Personally I've lost a dozen lures there.

We did find both "indian" carvings of the "viking/phoenician" ship. THAT was cool. We went back this summer - one is completely covered by sand again. Not sure if it was the original-original or someone copied the other (at the old mouth of the river) just as goof or something. They looked almost identical.

I thought it was a .22 round in the sand below your hand.

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
I have found flat buttons before but none like this one. The lead (I assume) with a steel shank pressed through. Don’t know if there was a plate of some kind over it all or not but the design pressed into it leads me to believe no.

BaldAssCat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In. I think that would be the only day I could look creepier at the beach than I do just swinging a coil.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I wanted a dedicated beach / water machine, so my wife got me a Minelab Excalibur II, for my upcoming b-day. [smile]
I decided to get my gear organized, so I grabbed a pic.
(L-R) Whites Coinmaster, Whites Spectra V3i, Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Safari and Minelab Excalibur II.

BCB67447-EF67-4EF8-A7A4-06BC971E8525.jpeg
0937AAC8-E5E6-4AF8-8D16-CB037046A66C.jpeg

Last edited:

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have that water scoop. After a few hours that thing gets heavy.
Yeah, that was a free one with the Excalibar. I usually use a shovel. But with the new beach machine, I picked up this. Just have to get a light weight shaft for it. It’s very light with the hexagon cut outs. All stainless steel.
image.jpg

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
How do you like the Spectra machines?
I started out with whites machines and I love them. The Spectras take a little getting to know. But once you get it down they are pretty bad ass. Just not a good beach machine, in my experience, although others will say differently. I traded up to them a few years ago after running a spectrum XLT into the ground. God, I loved that machine.

Top Bottom