Metal Detecting Mega Thread

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had and used detectors since I've been a kid and I'm 43 now. My dad and I used to spend a lot of time out detecting all over the Cape. I currently have three and they are all Whites Electronics and I would use nothing else. There are several other brands like Fisher, Minlabs, ect. Its gonna be a kind of Ford, Chevy thing but that's my 2 cents.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess that wasn't a lot of advice. Best I can say is stay away from the junk you will see at like Radio Shack and those sort of things. With detectors it really is you get what you pay for. Good models will have lots of discrimination feature and you will spend less time digging up aluminum foil, bottle caps and nails. I currently use a Whites Spectrum XLT.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that price range I think you would be better off with a model like this:
http://whiteselectronics.com/coinmasterpro.html

Another thought is you may want to look around for places that rent detectors. This would allow you to try some out before buying. We have pawn shop type place here in Maine when you can do that, don't know about around you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do get tricky to compare, its like buying a car. Mine was a grand when I bought it.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a bunch of them, honestly Garretts are second rate. Absolutely stay away from Bounty Hunter, Radio Shack, ect. Whites and Minelab are very good ones. If you are anywhere near central Mass I'd be more than happy to let you borrow one. Actually thinking of selling my Minelab, great machine but I have too many

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a bunch of them, honestly Garretts are second rate. Absolutely stay away from Bounty Hunter, Radio Shack, ect. Whites and Minelab are very good ones. If you are anywhere near central Mass I'd be more than happy to let you borrow one. Actually thinking of selling my Minelab, great machine but I have too many[/QUOTE

let me know if you do thanks for the offer

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In that price range I think you would be better off with a model like this:
http://whiteselectronics.com/coinmasterpro.html
We are getting our 11yo son a metal detector for his birthday. He's always finding things and is thrilled to bring home stuff of any use or value. In the under $200 range would the coinmaster be a good choice for a kid? Are the controls complicated? At 2.5 pounds the weight looks like a plus for an 80lb kid.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
metal detectors

Ok so my daughter 5yrs wants to go treasure hunting. I used to go metal detecting when I wasxa kid with my dads radioshack detector. I didn't find much back then......ok so looks like metal detectors are much like guns. You can spend a lot or a little and still end up with something not good. I'm just wondering what is a decent entry level detector that will have a decent resale if the new interest doesn't go far. My daughter has actually found several things at the beach with out a detector.....but she has seen the show and now wants to find more stuff!
I'm also interested...... my budget well I guess I'm looking for the sub 500$ range.
Is there a good source for refurbished machines and are they generally worth it.
For example I have great luck with remanufactured factory pellet guns and the savings is pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Find a local newsstand with a good magazine selection. There are some good ones on Gold and Treasure hunting, and a lot of information and links to research
metal detectors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your daughter be using it or running the digger? Most detectors will be too tall and perhaps a bit heavy for a young child. There's a Bounty Hunter Junior model designed for the younger set and is simple to operate. Be careful when digging as well. I've recovered some nasty sharp objects like pins and rusty nails from our school's playground. A 5-y-o might dig with abandon and run into such things without paying attention. Not going nanny-state, just sayin'. For yourself, there's hundreds of current offerings. The new Teknetics Eurotek Pro seems fast and full-featured for not much money. I own much more expensive models and I was impressed when I tried one out for a few weeks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or instead of metal detecting you can geocache.we call it treasure hunting.. we do it with my 6 yr old. get app. gives u gps coordinates. if do research lots are in ammo cans hiddenoff trails. We use the toy compasses.. you put a trinket in and she gets to pick one. and sign name.. log it after done or dont up to u.. its fun time and out in woods.. lets kids pick up on stuff thats not really normal looking or out of place.. hell some hidden so good even we have a hard time sometimes.. but something to look into..

Last edited:

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
My daughter is extremely careful for a 5 year old. Wears gloves and digs with tools in the yard. She will of course be digging and useing the small wand. If she truely gets the bug I will get a jr model. Like most 5 year olds her interest are skattered but she shows continued interest in "treasure" hunting, fishing ect ect

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Is a metal detector worth it?

$10 Million in gold coins made me wonder...

Is it worth buying a metal detector?

What's the most you've ever found?

Are things of value found often or is detecting merely a pipe dream coupled with "something to do"?

I always wonder if the things found would ever cover the cost of a mid/high-end metal detector (~$400)

Please share!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
did metal detector-y stuff with my father for a bit when i was a kid. we found a mercury dime once. so that's something.
Actually found a large trove of various non-circulated quarters, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes, half dollars, dollar coins while cleaning out my grandmother's apt. I gave them to my mom to store where ever. One of these days, I going to take a day trip to my parents' house and research all their values. Each are individually bagged and labeled per date/mint. My grandfather was apparently a huge coin collector.

Top Bottom