1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Metal Carports, Specifically Shed Roof Style

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by powerman, Aug 31, 2018.

1. powerman

powerman NES Member

I'm in need of a metal carport, shed roof style (see link below) free standing, of 16' x24' bigger than the link below.
    Carport or Shelter - Building Kits - Single Slope Shelters

I would like installation.

Anybody have any recommendations where to buy locally, North East Mass/southern NH.
    problems/issues.

2. ACfarmer

ACfarmer NES Member

I looked into getting a metal carport from Versatube (one of the Grand series with the vertical roof panels) for my truck but opted to build a wooden one. Shelters of New England (Nashua, NH) is a Versatube dealer and may know of an installer for you.

3. Knob Creek

Knob Creek NES Member

Our gun club got two of them for covered pistol ranges. I liked them so much I got one for my driveway. TNT carports.

4. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

I see that most (all?) of the models have sloped roofs? Do these shed snow avalanche-style?

My son just moved from a house (rental) to one he bought. One of the problems in the old house was a metal roof that, when it got enough snow, would shed it all onto his rear deck.

5. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

snow slides off our metal roof at our place in NH like you cannot believe.

if you get partial melt, it will hang off the end like an awning too. We call it snowverhang

mibro likes this.
  6. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i have a metal work shed. Remember that big snow storm a couple years ago, when like 3' of snow piled up on roofs. Well, my roof bent under the weight. So a car port, being bigger, will be even more likely to suffer damage from heavy snow loads. So make sure it is well built, with some metal beams in the roof!

7. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Or rake it whenever it snows. any real amount.

-Mike

Oldarmy likes this.
  8. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Yeah. IF i was not more interested in raking off the giant barn first, i probably would have done that. By the time i got to it, the metal truss system, which was pretty flimsy in hindsight, had buckled.

IF i were thinking, i would have sistered on some exterior plywood, or even a 2x6, to the sheet metal trusswork, and it probably would have survived.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I've considered one for the Lake. Especially if we spend more winter time there. My concern is that the wind blows FIERCE there. What sort of anchoring is there and how effective is it???

10. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

Snow still comes down in the same place.

11. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Yes, but most weak roofs etc end up buckling because the snow sits there all winter or for some long period of time and then that stupid rain glue frozen shit we get will dump into it and make it 9000 pounds per square inch. If you keep the cement off the thing, it'll probably survive....

12. Qwikdraw45

Qwikdraw45 NES Member

Carportsandmore.com

We had a local dealer in NH, but they didn't list any prices, so we looked online. There are 3 major companies, I think, and they are all tied in together. I think all are made in TN. The local dealer uses one of the 3 websites to display what you would order (doesn't seem to be any "pre-made" ones - all the sites/local dealer have you order what you want/need. Lead time is around 2 months, so you may be too late to have one built and put up this year. Ours included installation. Just make sure, as noted above, to clean off any deeper/heavier accumulations of snow.

13. MetalgodZ

MetalgodZ NES Member

Watching with interest.

I've got a pass-through along one side of the house where the driveway goes between a 4' retaining wall and the back of the house. It'd be an ideal place to put one of the single slope versions, where the high side would come to a 1-2' under the house roof line, and the low side would overhang the retaining wall by 1-2'.

The problem is that the pass-through there between wall and house is the only spot to get vehicles through if I need to get a truck up to the top to get building materials or propane delivered, or septic pumped...So I'd have to be able to remove the cross pieces somehow. It's not something I'd have to do often, but it would have to be do-able, even with difficulty, without wrecking the moved/removed pieces.