Merry Tax Return

Why are you lot giving the .gov interest-free loans? I typically end up owing the IRS $12-14.

It's sort of like having CDs, but without the hassle. And the $2-4k I get back every year might net me $10 in interest over the course of the year, if I locked it into a CD instead of spending it.

Maybe I just can't resist buying as much beer as I can with every paycheck, but having someone else look after a chunk of my pay and then dumping it on me every spring at least feels like a nice little bonus.

ETA: mine will be going into a barn this spring.

[party]

Good pick! Still waiting for all my tax return documents. Regardless, I see. I new guns in my near future.

Was waiting for this...

I changed my filing status/exemptions last year. Got married at the end of '15.
So, I was ready for it for '16... should be able to get closer to zero.
However, we seem to get a lot back from the interest on the home.

Without fail before you get past 10 posts someone complained about interest free loans for the .gov
lol

I didn't even get my W2 or my proof of insurance, or the papers from my broker...I didn't get anything. Yet [thinking]

I didn't even get my W2 or my proof of insurance, or the papers from my broker...I didn't get anything. Yet [thinking]
Yeah I haven't gotten any 1099 forms or those kinds of things. Wife hasn't gotten w2 form yet. I did find out that Tufts at least has their proof forms online because they keep forgetting to update my address so I get their mail super delayed. A lot of the form delivery dates are by end of January or mid Feb I think.

I had a good stretch of owing about $10-50 on taxes till I got married in 2015 and got a sizable return so might have to tweak withholding if that happens again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I havent gotten a single w2 or form back yet lmao.

Doesn't matter though, more money to put into my house. I tried to buy some pew pews with it but wife locked that down until we are done, I might be able to get a safe from this one though.

I love my .45 auto, a Colt Combat Elite, that I coincidentally bought with my tax return in 1986...it was the first firearm I bought after I got out of the Navy. I shot 45s while I was in and missed shooting them terribly after I got out. We got a very nice tax return that year as we had just bought a house the year before and my wife told me that I could spend $500 of it anyway I liked. Done....

combat elite.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I haven't gotten any 1099 forms or those kinds of things. Wife hasn't gotten w2 form yet. I did find out that Tufts at least has their proof forms online because they keep forgetting to update my address so I get their mail super delayed. A lot of the form delivery dates are by end of January or mid Feb I think.

I had a good stretch of owing about $10-50 on taxes till I got married in 2015 and got a sizable return so might have to tweak withholding if that happens again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

After getting married we get bumped into a higher tax bracket, makes no sense. All this that everyone wants to get married for tax reasons is BS!
Hopefully with the new house, paying all that house interest and taxes, we'll get some back. Also waiting on our donations to get mailed to see how much we donated this year.
I really just want to break even this year!

After getting married we get bumped into a higher tax bracket, makes no sense. All this that everyone wants to get married for tax reasons is BS!
Hopefully with the new house, paying all that house interest and taxes, we'll get some back. Also waiting on our donations to get mailed to see how much we donated this year.
I really just want to break even this year!
EXACTLY what happened to us. Single and living together, lower bracket. Married and filing joint, with no kids, we get SCREWED. I tell all my friends contemplating marriage, DON'T. .Gov screws married folks until you breed. The house didn't help us, hate to tell you. It was both our second home (both owned condos before we bought the house, she still has hers cuz underwater mortgage), and it did nothing to really help. Ironically, we both make too much money. She makes more, so I tell her I will retire and live off her dough, lol.

EXACTLY what happened to us. Single and living together, lower bracket. Married and filing joint, with no kids, we get SCREWED. I tell all my friends contemplating marriage, DON'T. .Gov screws married folks until you breed. The house didn't help us, hate to tell you. It was both our second home (both owned condos before we bought the house, she still has hers cuz underwater mortgage), and it did nothing to really help. Ironically, we both make too much money. She makes more, so I tell her I will retire and live off her dough, lol.

Yeah when I got married I had looked up and my wife and I are both in our early years of working and make roughly equivalent amounts so there is no "tax benefit" but we both also don't get bumped up in bracket. Her brother and his wife were talking about how they got a "big return" because of being married, so I had to point out it was due to the wife being in school (essentially no income) so the "big return" was due to his paycheck being taxed over the married brackets vs. the single.

Why are you lot giving the .gov interest-free loans? I typically end up owing the IRS $12-14.

Two years ago, my return was something like 37 cents. Last year, I owed them $1.40. I changed my w4 form so a bit more would be taken out. If I did my math right, I'll be getting around $0.40 back from the IRS. It's a game I play...how close can I get to a net sum of $0.00 taxes owed on my tax forms. I don't have a real hard tax form to do...the basic things...interest/prop taxes/car reg/donations to charities, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom