• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’

Source: Merriam-Webster Changes Definition Of 'Assault Rifle' After Parkland

The new entry which was updated March 31, 2018, reads as follows:

noun: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

:mad:

Just a coincidence that there is a push behind the scenes to ban semi auto rifles, and this, and other examples recently.

Dictionaries only reflect what a word is interpreted to mean by "most" people. You can make up a word to mean anything you want and if enough people agree it gets in the dictionary. Example: Assassination by Shakespeare.

Lol. They are prolly going to change the definition of "Patriot" to this...

iu

Fortunately old Noah was a strong proponent of the 2A (in case the current editors have forgotten):
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in American cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States."

Second Amendment History Online - Noah Webster's Federalist Arms Mantra

They have a comment form. Contact Merriam-Webster

I just submitted the following comment and chose the subject from their dropdown: "Question/Comment About a Definition"

"I would like express my disdain for the recent change to the definition of "Assault Rifle" to include the "a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire" language. The term "Assault Rifle" has traditionally only referred to fully automatic military rifles but the well funded anti 2nd Amendment activists in the US intentionally mis-use the term when talking about non-military semi-automatic sport rifles. This mis-use is then often unquestioningly parroted by the media.

This change by Merriam-Webster smacks of political motivation and supports the effort to demonize an implement by intentional mis-association with a more deadly version. I understand that words can change meaning over time based on usage but normalizing the propaganda of one side of a political debate does not reflect well on the reputation of Merriam-Webster as an impartial reference publisher. I have, in the past, purchased Merriam-Webster dictionaries and used the online version often, but not any longer."

I just did the same, but kept it short and sweet.

"Your new definition for Assault Rifle is grossly incorrect and should be removed immediately. Shame on you! ~Matt N."

I told them they were wrong and by their logic a 4 cylinder engine could be called a v8. It won't change anything but I feel better.

Source: Merriam-Webster Changes Definition Of 'Assault Rifle' After Parkland

The new entry which was updated March 31, 2018, reads as follows:

noun: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

:mad:
M-W already changed it to appease gun prohibitionists a few years ago. Prior to that previous change I believe it was basically correct. Since the last change I have always acknowledged their definition as incorrect. The meanings of terms matter. If we just go along with whatever definition they choose being correct--because dictionary--then we'll have a serious problem when they redefine gun owner to mean child murderer. I don't give the civilian disarmament lobby a millimeter. We've conceded far more than enough.

To be fair, magazines advertised civilian variants as "assault rifles" in the '80s, and I don't think they were discussing select-fire models that were legal before FOPA got passed in '86. This link shows plenty of published works in the '80s that used this term.
assault rifle gun magazine ad - Google Search

Here is a a link to ARFCOM where they discuss it. Scroll down:
I am sure it is just purely coincidental, but wanna guess what city a major anti-gun strategist is f - AR15.COM

The gun industry started muddying the waters over definitions and technical terminology. Doesn't make their use of the term correct or the prohibitionists right. It was likely just a marketing decision to drum up interest and sales by pretty much lying about functionality because two different "books" shared the same "cover."

Last edited:
Deciding which arms "the People" can bear is infringement. Semi, select, full auto, surface to air, ICBM, 2A covers it.

I think there is more legitimacy in arguing who are "the People" (maybe only those who don't pose harm to themselves or others, ie mental illness or criminal background) than which arms they can bear. But I personally am will to take that risk (of nutcase homicide with guns) than give Government or Society the power to infringe on Natural Rights.

Meh. I remember when Encyclopedia Britannica used to say that black people had smaller brains.
Black people do have smaller brains than whites. That’s just a fact just like women have smaller brains than men. Brain size has no correlation to intelligence is also a fact.

Language is fluid and dictionaries are businesses that need to update to stay relevant. Are you going to write them and complain that literally doesn't mean figuratively as well?

Do they define "sports car" as also being a truck, a boat, and a sandwich?

To be fair, magazines advertised civilian variants as "assault rifles" in the '80s, and I don't think they were discussing select-fire models that were legal before FOPA got passed in '86. This link shows plenty of published works in the '80s that used this term.

I am sure it is just purely coincidental, but wanna guess what city a major anti-gun strategist is f - AR15.COM

The gun industry started muddying the waters over definitions and technical terminology. Doesn't make their use of the term correct or the prohibitionists right. It was likely just a marketing decision to drum up interest and sales by pretty much lying about functionality because two different "books" shared the same "cover."
Marketroids.

That BSA Monarch Deluxe near the middle looks cool. I wonder what ever happened to those.

Back
Top Bottom