• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mental Illness History Ruled on Appeal to Not Bar Gun Ownership

The ruling stems from a 2008 U.S. Supreme Court decision that found, for the first time, that the Constitution protects individual gun rights.

The Supreme Court’s 5-4 ruling in the D.C. case resolved a constitutional question that had lurked for two centuries: whether the Second Amendment covers people who aren’t affiliated with a state-run militia.

Those two quotes bothered me. Are they accurate? I think not, as my understanding has been that the idea that the 2nd amendment described a collective right was something that was introduced in the 20th century by some anti-gun activism based on outlier court rulings and that there was plenty of judicial precedence that supported the correct interpretation that the 2nd amendment is an individual right and the Militia language is not a limiter on individual ownership of firearms. There is that other thread that discusses this. Annoys me to see inaccuracies that continue to be reported as fact.

Those two quotes bothered me. Are they accurate? I think not, as my understanding has been that the idea that the 2nd amendment described a collective right was something that was introduced in the 20th century by some anti-gun activism based on outlier court rulings and that there was plenty of judicial precedence that supported the correct interpretation that the 2nd amendment is an individual right and the Militia language is not a limiter on individual ownership of firearms. There is that other thread that discusses this. Annoys me to see inaccuracies that continue to be reported as fact.

I "fixed it for ya" (below).....they're now accurate, with the * attached

The ruling stems from a 2008 U.S. Supreme Court decision that found, for the first time, that the Constitution protects individual gun rights.. (* except in Massacusetts)
The Supreme Court’s 5-4 ruling in the D.C. case resolved a constitutional question that had lurked for two centuries: whether the Second Amendment covers people who aren’t affiliated with a state-run militia. (* yes, it does indeed, except in Massacusetts)

Back
Top Bottom