Mental Health - transfer

I have a very good friend (seriously) who, under the influence of something-or-other, thought it would be best to kill himself. Luckily, he didn't choose to use a firearm and the cops picked him up about a half a mile from him house wondering around. They took him to the ER (no charges)
I spoke to him a day later and he was 100% himself... Still, he's a temporary resident of a psychiatric hospital...

He has his LTC ~10 guns.

In the past we've discussed getting rid of his guns and I believe there's going to be a new push before they're taken away.

Assuming he's released soon, How should we proceed? He completely trusts me, so I imagine he'll be fine with selling them to me for $1 and let me sell them. I know he can only sell 3/year. Does anyone know of a shop that will offer a bulk discount on transfers?

He can transfer up to 4 per year via FTF. So, if he hasn't used those up then he's got
6 to transfer via FFL. Good luck to your friend and good on you for being there for him.

Thanks for the immediate info. 4 FTFs. He absolutely hasn't use any yet. Most of these were inherited. I'd bet he hasn't fired anything in 3 years.

He's lucky to have a friend like you. I'd strongly suggest removing all the guns from his place before the voices talk him into another attempt. Figure out later how to sell them.

I suggest moving quickly, like today, to get the property out of his possession. The police will probably show up with a 129D (LTC revoked) letter requiring him to surrender his guns. If he hasn't transferred them yet, they could end up in a bonded warehouse.

And make sure to use the 4 FTF transfers on guns that may not be transferrable through an FFL, if any. So if he's got any off-list handguns, transfer those FTF first.

And best of luck to your friend. I hope he can get his problems figured out.

I suggest moving quickly, like today, to get the property out of his possession. The police will probably show up with a 129D (LTC revoked) letter requiring him to surrender his guns. If he hasn't transferred them yet, they could end up in a bonded warehouse.

This is the biggest thing. Get possession of those firearms and worry about the transfers later.

And make sure to use the 4 FTF transfers on guns that may not be transferrable through an FFL, if any. So if he's got any off-list handguns, transfer those FTF first.

Then this.....

This is the biggest thing. Get possession of those firearms and worry about the transfers later.

Then this.....

Note that it says "if he hasn't transferred them, they could end up in a bonded warehouse", not "if he still possesses them, they will end up in a bonded warehouse". I would get the transfers done ASAP so there are no questions. Giving them to someone else isn't enough, they are still under his ownership until they are transferred.

Note that it says "if he hasn't transferred them, they could end up in a bonded warehouse", not "if he still possesses them, they will end up in a bonded warehouse". I would get the transfers done ASAP so there are no questions. Giving them to someone else isn't enough, they are still under his ownership until they are transferred.

This is correct. If OWNERSHIP hasn't passed to another person, the police WILL confiscate them from the friend who is holding them. It's in the law, not an option!

The problem is, at the moment I have almost no access to him, to legal transfer ownership. I have to wait until he's released.

And best of luck to your friend. I hope he can get his problems figured out.

I should know this.... but what wouldn't be transferable through a FFL?

I'm going to take a look at his paperwork today, but I'm pretty she he has one really old pistol, one new S&W revolver and the rest are long guns from when he used to hunt.

Also, Thanks Everyone.

The problem is, at the moment I have almost no access to him, to legal transfer ownership. I have to wait until he's released. ...

"Almost"?

A week from now, do you want to be saying to yourself, "Wow, that was a close shave. Thank God I didn't take 'no' for an answer from those hospital administrators", or do you want to be saying, "Well, it's a damned shame they scooped up his entire collection, but at least I was polite to the doctors".

If a lawyer draws up a limited power of attorney for you to transfer the guns (and ammo) on his behalf, and he signs it, you could proceed. Ideally secure a brief personal visit, but at worst, the state nervous hospital isn't going to get away with refusing him access to legal counsel although that visit will co$t... (We'll ignore the issue of whether a power of attorney signed by someone on mental health hold is valid).

I was first thinking that using your friend's lawyer might be best, but perhaps using one of the NES party approved firearms attorneys would be prudent. He'll know what to put in it and what to omit; and will appreciate that time is of the essence.

There have been NES debates on the theory of whether a PoA will work with firearms transfers from the disabled, but if a gun lawyer will write one up, they have some confidence in the approach.

P. S. You may need your friend's LTC number and PIN (not to mention keys and safe combos). Don't remember that after your one visit with him.

This... get them transferred to you first to keep them away from retardo authorities. Then you can sell them and just give him the proceeds.

And don't tell the doctor or anyone at the hospital that you need to talk to him about his guns! This should be obvious but some people don't understand the importance. They don't need to know why you want to visit your friend.
I hope everything works out.

"Almost"?

P. S. You may need your friend's LTC number and PIN (not to mention keys and safe combos). Don't remember that after your one visit with him.

If this is not illegal, then get the ball rolling on at least the four most esteemed firearms. It sounds like it'd be a head start to avoiding the 129D.

Rough situation for your buddy, sorry to hear it.
I would guess that anything "old" is where your FTF priorities should lie. Anything new that was bought recently shouldn't be an issue for a dealer to take.
I also heard a story once about someone inheriting an old gun that was around before the whole "registered-transfers" thing became the law in MA, sadly it was lost in a boating accident years ago.

when my father started seeing strange things, i dragged him down to an FFL on a lucid day, and did all the transfers there.

Back
Top Bottom